Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PHI] Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What the heck is this? Shocked Philly did Oilers such a massive favor. Oilers HAD to clear space asap due to Sekera being healthy now

Such an odd trade.

Well atleast Gretzky killed it with trade #1... Already better than Chia!!

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Honestly didn’t expect that to happen, but it works for both teams. If Talbot can return to his old form, him and Hart can split time it could end up helping them make a playoff run, or at least do better next year. Stolarz also now can be consistently in the NHL in Edmonton which is good for him, hopefully he can end up being Edmonton’s future goaltender. I wonder if Philly moves Neuvirth or Elliott for like late Round picks for teams looking for backups. Idk how long their out with their injuries.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oiler fans have been saying it all along, there was no need to attach a pick to Talbot to make a trade. He'll do well in Philly. This is a true hockey trade, one that works for both teams. HF posters should take notice.

Reactions: Chabot84

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't get why people are pumped about cap space?
Talbot wasn't signed past this season, so it's not like it comes off the books. If anything, if they qualify Stolarz, they lose cap space in the process.

I get it if they now make a now/future trade then it has some value... but nothing to be pumped about for cap space, for another 3 months.
Sekera comes off LTIR on Sunday and we needed cap space to do so.

Also if we are sellers at the deadline we can use that capspace to snag a pending UFA from a playoff team with a bad contract to help them clear space to add and we can snag an asset to do so.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
What the heck is this? Shocked Philly did Oilers such a massive favor. Oilers HAD to clear space asap due to Sekera being healthy now

Such an odd trade.

Well atleast Gretzky killed it with trade #1... Already better than Chia!!

Gretzky killed it... Are you at all familiar with Anthony Stolarz?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Talbot had a good mask in EDM, can only imagine what Gritty inspired one he'll have in Philly.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
You'd think Philly got wrangle something else, like a 3rd or someone like Kassian.

Flyers are going to be sending out Elliott too, clearly, so who else needs goaltending for the rest of the year + playoffs... Toronto? Columbus if they deal Bobrovsky with no goalie coming back?

Reactions: NHLFreeAgent

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
At first glance this trade looks a bit odd for Philly, but here's my take:

Stolarz is RFA in the off-season and Philly is moving on from him to Hart. The difference in cap this year isn't very significant because there is only a month and a half left. Talbot was a great backup in NY and is a good fit with Hart. Maybe they trade one or both of Elliott and Neuvirth. Philly is looking to Hart now and insulating him.

For Edmonton I think it's a good move. Stolarz could possibly push Koskinen. If not, he could be a good backup. If not, it doesn't really matter.

Fun trade!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Oiler fans have been saying it all along, there was no need to attach a pick to Talbot to make a trade. He'll do well in Philly. This is a true hockey trade, one that works for both teams. HF posters should take notice.

I agree - this is a solid trade.

In fact, this could be a great trade long-term for Philly, considering this deal is more about Carter Hart than Talbot or Stolarz. The fact that Talbot and Hart are good friends is a huge plus for the Flyers. Hart has a mentor and friend to bond with (and learn from) and Talbot gets to mentor a kid he likes a whole lot, plus has the physical tools to step in if/when needed. If Talbot enjoys his time/role in Philly, he could extend with the Flyers for a few years at a modest salary and be part of a very nice goaltending tandem. If not, he walks and the Flyers sign a vet backup on the cheap to insulate Hart. Stolarz is straight vanilla - some Flyers fans fell in love with him because he was their pick and homegrown talent. Yawn. He's an NHL back-up at best IMO. Hart needs a vet behind him, not another "youngish goalie." What better vet than someone you consider a mentor and great friend?

This was a smart trade for the Flyers.

Reactions: TFHockey

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
With all the talk this past week about this potential trade it was all just a matter of time. Talbot will be good for Hart in Philly.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
You'd think Philly got wrangle something else, like a 3rd or someone like Kassian.

Flyers are going to be sending out Elliott too, clearly, so who else needs goaltending for the rest of the year + playoffs... Toronto? Columbus if they deal Bobrovsky with no goalie coming back?

This right here is what I see. Instead of the Flyers sending Elliot to Edmonton they will parlay him into a pick. If he would have been finished the rehab Elliot may have been heading West already.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
At first glance this trade looks a bit odd for Philly, but here's my take:

Stolarz is RFA in the off-season and Philly is moving on from him to Hart. The difference in cap this year isn't very significant because there is only a month and a half left. Talbot was a great backup in NY and is a good fit with Hart. Maybe they trade one or both of Elliott and Neuvirth. Philly is looking to Hart now and insulating him.

For Edmonton I think it's a good move. Stolarz could possibly push Koskinen. If not, he could be a good backup. If not, it doesn't really matter.

Fun trade!

Stolarz isn't actually an RFA in the off-season. He has to play 30 minutes or more in 10 games in order to qualify for RFA status, otherwise he becomes a UFA. He wasn't going to get that here, so for all intents and purposes, he was a UFA for Philly.

Maybe he'll get that chance in Edmonton, but it's no guarantee.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad