Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PHI] Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It definitely feels weird seeing the Oilers do a fair trade. It's been a while since they've had average management. That Gretzky guy isn't winning any management awards and probably won't make many steals, but he is probably going to be competent.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Cam Talbot went from elite a year ago to the reason the Oliers suck. Oilers fans are going to get a good look at Stolarz and I hope he does well, but seriously doubt goalie is the primary issue in Edmonton.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Oilers shed salary heading towards the trade deadline as they chase the wildcard

Flyers improve their "vet back-up" with an expiring contract as they chase the wildcard

Win-win

Chase the Wildcard?

Come on.....you can’t be serious? The are what, seven points back with five teams in front of them? Chase the wildcard indeed!!

Don’t they have something like 4 wins in their last 25 games or something ridiculous like that??

They dumped salary and a goalie that has played like a dumpster fire the last two years.

Maybe they can now go out and find a winger who isn’t a waiver wire or a PTO pick up.

Still a very long way to go.........

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Cam Talbot went from elite a year ago to the reason the Oliers suck. Oilers fans are going to get a good look at Stolarz and I hope he does well, but seriously doubt goalie is the primary issue in Edmonton.

I ma fairly certain the entire Oiler fan base already knows this.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This is one of those trades where I feel like I need to remind people that there doesn't always have to be a winner or loser. I think both teams benefit from this trade.

Edmonton gets some much needed cap space and gets a younger cheaper goalie who could potentially be their back up next year.

On the flip side, the Flyers get the veteran goalie they needed to mentor and play in some sort of tandem with Carter Hart for the next couple of years. With the existing relationship that Hart and Cam Talbot have he was a guy they obviously they really wanted for that role.

When the trade was being discussed earlier this week both fan bases seemed to think their team should have gotten a pick in the deal. Ultimately neither did. Both sides do well with this in my opinion.

Well said.

Talbot is an awesome guy by all reports... never heard anyone say a bad word about him and everyone loves the guy... he and Carter Hart apparently already have an amazing mentor/mentee relationship.

The Oilers were obviously not signing Talbot after Chiarelli blew his load on Koskinen (still don't understand the premature action and expense of that contract) so we get a younger goalie with some uncertainty (due to NHL games played) to him. As an Oiler fan I would rather get Stolarz back than a 4th round pick.

I think this trade will be just fine for both teams... especially if Talbot re-signs with the Flyers under a reasonable short term contract.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well said.

Talbot is an awesome guy by all reports... never heard anyone say a bad word about him and everyone loves the guy... he and Carter Hart apparently already have an amazing mentor/mentee relationship.

The Oilers were obviously not signing Talbot after Chiarelli blew his load on Koskinen (still don't understand the premature action and expense of that contract) so we get a younger goalie with some uncertainty (due to NHL games played) to him. As an Oiler fan I would rather get Stolarz back than a 4th round pick.

I think this trade will be just fine for both teams... especially if Talbot re-signs with the Flyers under a reasonable short term contract.

You realize Stolarz cleared waivers this season right?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
You realize Stolarz cleared waivers this season right?

Like in October, right?

He's played an NHL game, right?

You know the chances of a 4th rounder making it to the NHL, right?

You know the Oilers needed to clear cap space to make room for Sekera, right? (and yes, I already know how sad that is)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Frankly, I don't think that highly of EDM's front office even without Chiarelli, so I was still surprised Fletch didn't manage better than a 1:1.

Nevertheless...

The NHL knows Chiarelli and the Oilers were wise not to kick in an extra pick in their first post-Chia trade.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Unload Talbot's salary so Sekera can come back and get younger backup goalie. Good job Keith Gretzky. Already making smarter moves then Chiarelli did. Not that it would be very hard to do that but almost every Chiarelli trade was a disaster that hurt the team.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Nobody got fleeced here

Talbot is a UFA so the cap hit really doesn't matter, as Philly still has over $7m in capspace for this season
Talbot will serve as a better backup than Stolarz given the experience and his proven track record of being a good backup in NY. Talbot was never a #1 goalie.

I doubt Philly re-signs Talbot this summer unless he shows without a doubt that he can be an excellent backup like he was in NY.

Stolarz is an RFA and would not have been on Philly's roster for next season either (Lyon/Sandstrom will most likely be the goalie tandem for their farm team).

Even if they would offer Stolarz a contract, Philly would most likely search for experience to backup Hart this summer, so Stolarz is very much AHL bound for life as a Flyer moving forward.

Also, people need to understand that those that claim Stolarz's numbers ''better'' than Talbot's is due to the amount of GP and his role on the team; Stolarz was terrible during the stretch where he was the #1 goalie, his numbers got bumped of late because of his strong play but only as a backup to Hart.

(PS those that claim Stolarz's 3.33GAA .902% VS Talbot's 3.36GAA .893% is even worth mentioning, you guys really need to mature up fast!) Those numbers are, at best, similar!

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
So how many games does Stolartz need to play in to stay as RFA?

10? and EDM has 30ish games left?

Doable, but you'd think they'd want to run koskinan instead.

I'm sad I can't continue to laugh at Oiler fans insisting they'll get a 3rd round pick for Talbot anymore though. :laugh:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If Stolarz has a good 20 games for Oilers I guess they'll have no choice but to sign him to a 15mil/3 deal.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Ah Philly and their perpetual quest to find a decent and constant starter. Seriously who was the last guy they had who was good on a constant basis and/or was elite ? Hextall maybe ? Mason had a good season a few years ago but it didn't last very long.

It's like my very own Habs and their perpetual quest to find a true no1 center. It's been going on for more than 2 decades. Crazy

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Ah Philly and their perpetual quest to find a decent and constant starter. Seriously who was the last guy they had who was good on a constant basis and/or was elite ? Hextall maybe ? Mason had a good season a few years ago but it didn't last very long.

It's like my very own Habs and their perpetual quest to find a true no1 center. It's been going on for more than 2 decades. Crazy

It is quite clear that Hart is the real deal which is why they were open trading away a younger goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad