Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PHI] Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
What is Phillies reasoning here? Give Stolarz a change of scenery?

I'm just not super familiar with the situation here.
They were selling high on him. As a flyers fan, I think he plays great but inconsistent. Dont see him more than a backup in the nhl. He has the occasional great game but gives up soft goals fairly often.

Talbot gives them someone who's at least established as a good goalie that they can resign next yr for cheap

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hate this for the Flyers. I would have preferred to roll with Hart / Stolarz.

The deal on Stolarz is he's a huge guy (6'6") but very athletic. He's still somewhat raw - he put in a virtuoso performance against the Rangers a couple of weeks ago but had a very up and down game against the Wild where his angles were almost laughably off - and he's had some really bad luck early in his career with injuries. He has starter upside if he can put it all together.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Stolarz .902 SV% 3.33 GAA: young guy with upside, but has played only 12 NHL games the last 2 years due to injury.

Talbot .893 SV% 3.36 GAA: worthless vet despite 1.5 years ago being top 4 in Vezina voting.

Their numbers are not that far off from each other this year.

Talbot has just as much chance if bouncing back as Stolarz does being a good backup let alone a starter. But the deal works because each team got what they wanted when it came to experience.

Go easy on Stolarz. Only 1 time in 7 years dating back to the CHL, has he been able to stay healthy enough to play more than 40 games. Unfortunately for Stolarz, the last 2 years when Neuvirth and Elliott have gotten hurt, he could have had the chance to solidify himself in Philly. But he too himself was hurt more than them. So he lost his chance and got past by Hart.

If I was the Oilers, I sign him for a deal like the Delia deal...3 years 1 million per. That gives them a goalie to expose in expansion and if he does happen to blossom, you have him dirt cheap. And if he struggles, waiving him covers most of his cap hit. Good luck Stolie the goalie
The move fits in with Chuckles’ other deals. He’s clearing out guys with no long term future as Flyers by giving them a chance to play somewhere else and taking back guys who are long shots to help the Flyers in the hopes one or two of them do. We’ll see.

Traded away Weal, Weise, Folin, Leier, Stolarz.
Acquired Schlemko, Froese, Bailey, Talbot and a pick.

Last edited:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Elliott is out of here now. Or permanently AHL bound.

I didn't see Stolarz coming back next year. He's waiver eligible and group 6 ufa. Should get a chance to play in Edmonton and can backup Koskinen for a couple of years.

Reactions: zaqq

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

The deal on Stolarz is he's a huge guy (6'6") but very athletic. He's still somewhat raw - he put in a virtuoso performance against the Rangers a couple of weeks ago but had a very up and down game against the Wild where his angles were almost laughably off - and he's had some really bad luck early in his career with injuries. He has starter upside if he can put it all together.
Hart has 18 career NHL games. Stolarz has 19. There was NO WAY any team would run with 2 guys with such little NHL experience. Especially when Stolarz has not proven he can even stay healthy, even though I too like him.

Flyers fans would be freaking next year if Stolarz once again got hurt for the 3rd straight year saying they should have added a vet goalie who can at least stay healthy.

Reactions: Gert B Frobe

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Hart has 18 career NHL games. Stolarz has 19. There was NO WAY any team would run with 2 guys with such little NHL experience. Especially when Stolarz has not proven he can even stay healthy, even though I too like him.

Flyers fans would be freaking next year if Stolarz once again got hurt for the 3rd straight year saying they should have added a vet goalie who can at least stay healthy.

I'm personally fine going young; it doesn't scare me or bother me. You don't even know what you have yet in Stolarz. At this point, how much more on-ice value is Talbot really going to give you than Stolarz, if any, and for how much extra in cap space? Besides, you can always find a vet back-up of Talbot's caliber eventually if you think you really need one.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Sometimes, being pitted against another young goalie who wants your place may be beneficial, competition and all. But can also be detrimental if things go sour between the 2.

Not saying it was the case, and not saying Talbot will necessarily help Hart, but I suppose Flyers management wanted to get a veteran presence for Hart to develop and be supported with experience, something Talbot have on Stolarz.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Sometimes, being pitted against another young goalie who wants your place may be beneficial, competition and all. But can also be detrimental if things go sour between the 2.

Not saying it was the case, and not saying Talbot will necessarily help Hart, but I suppose Flyers management wanted to get a veteran presence for Hart to develop and be supported with experience, something Talbot have on Stolarz.

I understand the rationale, I just don't agree with it.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm personally fine going young; it doesn't scare me or bother me. You don't even know what you have yet in Stolarz. At this point, how much more on-ice value is Talbot really going to give you than Stolarz, if any, and for how much extra in cap space? Besides, you can always find a vet back-up of Talbot's caliber eventually if you think you really need one.

It depends what Talbot the Flyers get. The one that has struggled for 2 years? Sure. The one capable of being 4th in Vezina voting? Not a chance. Talbot likely settles somewhere in between.

Fletch obviously believes Talbot could turn things around in Philly. Time will tell if he is right or not.

And you might be fine going young, but no GM would be that foolish especially with a goalie who has had back to back seasons with injury.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
With Edmonton’s options, and Philadelphia’s clear interest in Talbot, there was never any reason for the Oilers to send a pick.

It will be interesting to see if the Oilers play Stolarz to keep him RFA or just sign him for a year or two.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is a decent deal, best Edmonton has done in years... Stolarz has a better chance in Edmonton than he did in Philly.

Amazing how many goalies the Flyers have had this season.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This trade happened because the Flyers valued Talbot. As such, it's naive to think that the Oilers somehow won this trade. They had a valuable asset, and did not get equal value in return, despite getting cap space.
Tho Oil turned nothing into something. That's a win in my books.

The ship sailed on Talbot when they signed the other guy. He's an expiring UFA (with a modified NTC?) with no value to any contender because of his poor performance this season. The Flyers could have waited to sign him in July, and it's to Gretzky's credit that he was able to find the only viable market for Talbot and to acquire something -- anything -- in return.

It really is a win-win.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Inb4 Talbot wins Vezina next season

:sarcasm:

No but seriously, this makes sense. Oilers need the cap space and Talbot-Hart could be a good goalie tandem next season for the Flyers, so they get a trial run early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad