Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PHI] Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Stolarz is looking like he may get a shot at being a starter somewhere, but it wasn't going to be in Philly with Hart establishing himself already. I think Fletcher must have known that Stolarz intended to walk and that they also didn't have the "luxury" of forcing him into enough games to retain his rights. He is starting to look really good right at the time when Hart is starting to look insanely good, and it just seems unlikely that he would've stayed knowing he'd likely be able to sign with another team to compete for a bigger role. Getting Talbot back instead of losing him for nothing makes a lot of sense, in that light...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I know HF always has to think and black and white, win and loss, but I think this is a win for both teams.

From the flyers end, it's unlikely Stolarz was going to be an RFA and be obliged to stay here. It's even less likely that Fletcher, given a win now ultimatum, was going to go into next season with two "rookie" goalies. As fans, we complained that Hextall didn't fix the G position by rising two aged vets. Fletcher wouldve gotten the same sentence if a Hart/Stolarz tandem fell flat. Talbot has a connection to Hart, so trying him out for a third of a season will help to determine if he's the guy to backup Hart next year. Yeah his numbers haven't been great but how much of that is him and how much of the oilers remains to be seen. The ability is there, just a matter if he can rediscover it. His poor form should also allow us to re-sign him for a fairly cheap deal.

For the oilers, they get the cap space they needed without having to make additional roster moves of waiving demoting and whatever else with players. They also get a goalie who could become a low risk high reward player. Stolarz is massive and super athletic, but sometimes his tracking is a little off and he gets beat on goals that he really shouldn't, especially given his size. Even if they don't keep him, it's unlikely they were going to keep Talbot either, so it's no loss.

Am I disappointed that Fletcher wasn't able to squeeze a late pick out of it? Eh, I guess. But at the end of the day, adding a 5th pick wouldve just been a moral victory, not anything of real value. Hope the best for Stolarz, but I'm not going to miss him, either.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I can understand why people expected a pick for Philly but the reality is goalies like Stolarz have little value.

Goalies either have to be highly touted recently drafted, good backups for multiple seasons who are seen as good enough #1’s already, or veteran goalies with the body of work to install confidence he can get the job done.

Stolarz fits none of these criteria.

The $3.4 million in capspace has value though. That's why Philly should have received a pick.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The $3.4 million in capspace has value though. That's why Philly should have received a pick.
It has a lot more value at the beginning of the season and since Talbot is a UFA that is not a factor here. There were only three teams in the league that had cap issues that may have impacted them in the short run. Edmonton, Washington and Anaheim. Edmonton had options t manage their cap that would have been preferable to sugaring this trade.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good trade for Edmonton

Although, it's sad when your "all star" goalie turns into magic bean over a very short time.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I like the deal for both teams. I was excited back in the day when the Flyers finally drafted a goaltender, Stolarz I feel progressed fairly well but seemed a little on the fragile end. I'll root for the guy but it is time to move on since he will likely be a free agent anyway. I'm okay with bringing in Talbot to see how the working relationship and clubhouse dynamic goes.

Win - Win

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

That’s a fair point, although i don’t think it carried a whole lot of weight in this case.

Oilers are pretty much done. Talbot was going to be an UFA, they didn’t trade him to free up cap space necessarily, but rather just get something for him while they still can. There’s not a ”we both know you absolutely need the cap space to do things x and x” card Fletcher could pull here.

Basically the Flyers had an incentive to acquire Talbot, they obviously like the potential with this tandem and think it’s something they could go with in the future. They got the opportunity to see how it goes on and off the ice and make him feel comfortable rather than blindly signing him in FA. That carries value to them.

So in a sense, Oilers had the upper hand. Im pretty sure it was the Flyers who showed interest rather than the Oilers forcing a trade to dump Talbot there.

Besides, i guarantee GM’s think Talbot holds more value as a goalie. That’s what good seasons in the past do. If you’re getting the more valuable player in a trade in your eyes, you don’t often get a pick back.

It’s not like Stolarz is an amazing return. We’ve seen goalies like him get waived in the past. He’s played 21 pro games in the past 2 seasons combined and the numbers aren’t exactly great.

PDG3

Nov 29, 2018
Does this mean Elliot and Neuvy will be most likely traded for picks in the upcoming days?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I was going to come on and ask if this was all the Oilers were receiving but then I read through the details (Cap space, age, etc) and now think it's a pretty good deal for both teams.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't get why people are pumped about cap space?
Talbot wasn't signed past this season, so it's not like it comes off the books. If anything, if they qualify Stolarz, they lose cap space in the process.

I get it if they now make a now/future trade then it has some value... but nothing to be pumped about for cap space, for another 3 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad