Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PHI] Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Mark my words, Talbot will be the "new Dubnyk". Philly just created one of the best tandems in the NHL. He'll bounce back to form.
Bye new Dubnyk you mean bounce around to 4 different teams until finding one with a good defensive system to boost his numbers?

Reactions: RandyBobandi

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What the heck is this? Shocked Philly did Oilers such a massive favor. Oilers HAD to clear space asap due to Sekera being healthy now

Such an odd trade.

Well atleast Gretzky killed it with trade #1... Already better than Chia!!
After getting some more details on Stolarz, he falls into the same category as Jordan Binnington of the blues. Given their age, Stolarz has to play at least 30 minutes in another 10 games otherwise he becomes a ufa. So if the flyers don’t believe that they can give him those games, then they view him as a ufa like Talbot. So logically, everything for them in net is about Hart. So if they feel he would be a good vet for Hart then it kind of makes sense. I agree with you in that I am Surprised that they didn’t get anything extra like a late draft pick as well that allows the oilers to free up cap space.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They win what?
Oilers had to clear up capspace to fit Sekera in. Talbot's play has been brutal in EDM.
It's not a loss for Oilers even if PHI won the deal.

This will be my favorite line for a while.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'd bet pretty squarely that this trade doesn't register as anything significant the further into the future we get.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Stolarz isn't actually an RFA in the off-season. He has to play 30 minutes or more in 10 games in order to qualify for RFA status, otherwise he becomes a UFA. He wasn't going to get that here, so for all intents and purposes, he was a UFA for Philly.

Maybe he'll get that chance in Edmonton, but it's no guarantee.
Move makes even more sense - Talbot is way more useful to the Flyers than Stolarz and the contract's are a moot point.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
This is one of those trades where I feel like I need to remind people that there doesn't always have to be a winner or loser. I think both teams benefit from this trade.

Edmonton gets some much needed cap space and gets a younger cheaper goalie who could potentially be their back up next year.

On the flip side, the Flyers get the veteran goalie they needed to mentor and play in some sort of tandem with Carter Hart for the next couple of years. With the existing relationship that Hart and Cam Talbot have he was a guy they obviously they really wanted for that role.

When the trade was being discussed earlier this week both fan bases seemed to think their team should have gotten a pick in the deal. Ultimately neither did. Both sides do well with this in my opinion.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Either way Oilers would need a backup goalie.. maybe they like Stolarz and want to try him out. This prob gives them immediate cap relief as well to help with fitting Sekera in

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Move makes even more sense - Talbot is way more useful to the Flyers than Stolarz and the contract's are a moot point.

Eh, like I said before, there's benefits for both teams. I think Stolarz was slightly more valuable, but not enough so to call this a landslide win for anyone. Good trade that works for both teams.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
It’s honestly a good deal for both teams. When the rumour leaked about the Flyers interest in Talbot (thus HF thread started), Flyers fans insisted there had to be a pick involved, but I maintained that there is much more than numbers that go into evaluating a trade. Cam Talbot is a fantastic human being and teammate, as well as training buddy and friend to Carter Hart. There is no stat or number to apply to that value, but it most certainly factors in when GM’s make trades.

There was a great interview with Rutherford after the Pens won the cup in 2016 where he attributed much of the team’s success to the strength of the locker room and some of the under the radar trades and signings that helped build that. Talbot will be one of those guys.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This looks like a win-win. I didn't think they would get anything for Talbot with numbers like that. The fact they got something decent is kind of surprising. But Philly has use for him.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Talbot is a good back up or platoon option. I give the Flyers the nod here. It would be tough to play for the Oilers. I don't think Stolarz amounts to much and if Talbot re-signs it looks pretty good for Philly.

Reactions: The Madrigal

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I liked Stolarz a lot a few years ago, but then he missed a season due to injury. If the Flyers didn't deal with all the injuries, I wonder if Stolarz would have been given another chance in the NHL?

For Edmonton, they seem to have accepted Koskinen as their guy. I think Stolarz can settle in as a really good backup in the NHL. Considering that's what Talbot is going to do, also as an UFA... I think EDM fans look favorably on this deal in a few seasons.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I liked Stolarz a lot a few years ago, but then he missed a season due to injury. If the Flyers didn't deal with all the injuries, I wonder if Stolarz would have been given another chance in the NHL?

For Edmonton, they seem to have accepted Koskinen as their guy. I think Stolarz can settle in as a really good backup in the NHL. Considering that's what Talbot is going to do, also as an UFA... I think EDM fans look favorably on this deal in a few seasons.
To maintain his rfa rights the oilers need to get him into 10 games for 30 minutes each time. See if he plays well enough early to earn Hitchcock’s trust. Otherwise he’s a ufa and has options to go elsewhere.

Reactions: hellstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->