[EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

space321

May 11, 2011
Fire him on Boxing Day. What really does he need to be here for if he's dead man walking. Rip it off like a band aid and get it over with.

You have more time to conduct a proper and thorough search for someone new and they will have more time to evaluate.

Plus the sooner you fire Chiarelli the less time he'll have to make another desparation trade. Who knows what other trades he's thinking of? All I know is they're likely not good ones.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nobody should be surprised that Strome is producing. The analytics suggested it was just a matter of time, plus he is no longer saddled with an offensive black hole (Lucic) and an AHLer in Puljujarvi.

It should also be pointed out that Strome was buddies with McDavid and well liked by his teammates in general. So this trade has hurt the Oilers offensively, defensively and even in the dressing room. Chiarelli is truly awful.

I'm not a fan of Strome but why move him without a backup plan for 3C? Did Chia think that Marody was going to step in after 3 NHL games or Brodziak would move up and a random winger will play C on the 4th line?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Nobody should be surprised that Strome is producing. The analytics suggested it was just a matter of time, plus he is no longer saddled with an offensive black hole (Lucic) and an AHLer in Puljujarvi.

It should also be pointed out that Strome was buddies with McDavid and well liked by his teammates in general. So this trade has hurt the Oilers offensively, defensively and even in the dressing room. Chiarelli is truly awful.
everyone scores after leaving the Oilers lol

didn't take long for Strome to shake the Oilers stink off him

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO he shouldn't be on the McDrai line, he does not do well at doing the dirty work on a line. He should be on RNH's LW with Jesse on RNH's RW.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
IMO he shouldn't be on the McDrai line, he does not do well at doing the dirty work on a line. He should be on RNH's LW with Jesse on RNH's RW.

He should be in the pressbox. He turns over pucks like crazy and is soft. He's been the worst forward on the team.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Fire him on Boxing Day. What really does he need to be here for if he's dead man walking. Rip it off like a band aid and get it over with.

You have more time to conduct a proper and thorough search for someone new and they will have more time to evaluate.

They should be searching right now! But key word here, *should* and this is the Oilers we're talking about so they're probably sitting on their hands, delaying the inevitable. This organization reminds me of a screaming toddler with its fingers in its ears.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Its too bad the thread is separated out from the last one in which the majority of posters were telling us what an upgrade Spooner is, hands down, and that he immediately makes us better.

The posts that it doesn't matter if Spooner gives up a lot more GA, he'll more than make up for that were amongst the oddest comments.

Theres a lot of crow that should be eaten in this thread based on the last one. I see Strome is doing his part as well feeding crow.

Anyway. Theres spooner on topline, as a winger, setting up in front of the net, with his 1 G all season, while 2 13 goal scorer allstars are digging in the corners and battling so they can get it out to the creep that doesn't score. This happened REPEATEDLY.

This despite Hitch saying he needs Spooner to get in on the forecheck, use his speed to get to pucks and create puck battles.

Not only is Spooner bad and useless he's ignoring coaching direction and freelancing as he always does.

"Hey Leon, Connor, whats up, how come you not digging the puck out for me and giving me perfect feeds in front of the net"

I've played hockey and if a new player on the team saw it as his duty to take a plum role in front of the net like this, a guy that doesn't even score, somebody would take him out back and have a talk. the funniest thing is opponents seem to realize you don't even have to cover this guy, we're shorthanded with him on the ice. He's as bad as Yamamoto was except Yama has size and youth as an excuse and was at least trying.

does anybody seriously think Connor and Leon enjoyed this latest experiment?

I mean put anybody up there, Cagg, Chiasson, Rattie, Pulju, even Kassian. All of this could work or help. But Spoonfed? lmfao. The WORST choice for topsix since Yama. I would even put Khaira up before this guy.

I got mesmerized by the 41 points in 59 games last season and it looks like I was DEAD wrong.

This guy is a dud to POS levels, looks like the same exact player skating around aimlessly accomplishing nothing, literally nothing, and to think that there's another year left on his deal at 3.1M. Hitchcock must be rolling his eyes at this acquisition, I think Strome would have done well under him. One big FU to the Oiler fanbase by Chia.

Actually, it could be 2 FUs if Wideman's first game is any indication of what we're going to get from him.

Also, he's nothing like Yamamoto. Yamamoto, while not scoring, consistently made lots of good plays away from the puck and was noticeable in a good way most games. Please don't compare this waste of a roster spot to Yamamoto. I know that Hitch usually likes bigger players but I could see him really taking to Yamamoto if he ever gets a chance to coach him.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I got mesmerized by the 41 points in 59 games last season and it looks like I was DEAD wrong.

This guy is a dud to POS levels, looks like the same exact player skating around aimlessly accomplishing nothing, literally nothing, and to think that there's another year left on his deal at 3.1M. Hitchcock must be rolling his eyes at this acquisition, I think Strome would have done well under him. One big FU to the Oiler fanbase by Chia.

Actually, it could be 2 FUs if Wideman's first game is any indication of what we're going to get from him.
The Oilers pro scouting is something to behold for sure. Chiasson is probably the only reason they haven't been turfed yet.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

I can understand their logic in doing so though, as he's produced with top end talent before.

I hated Strome, thought this deal was a win right from the get go. But now that I've seen the Spooner play, I realllllly hope this isn't the player we are getting, or that is another clear cut loss in my eyes for Chia. And to lose a trade by that much when it's a nothing trade to begin with, is not good at all. Keep in mind though this isn't all on Chia. I mean all he's doing is digesting scouting reports and making a decision based on those.

The cap hell he has put us in has forced him to just attempt to take reclamation project after reclamation project. Man do I miss Patrick Maroon.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Plus the sooner you fire Chiarelli the less time he'll have to make another desparation trade. Who knows what other trades he's thinking of? All I know is they're likely not good ones.

I was kind of reluctant on firing him until seasons end. Kind of thought he couldn't really do much harm until then anyways because the organization probably has him on lock down. But if JP doesn't perform over the next month and a bit, I imagine we are going to see Chiarelli tasked with trading him. And that is absolutely terrifying. Like I want the guy out of here yesterday now.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Has Spooner been that bad? I was never a fan of his, even when he went on his torrid hot streak after NYR acquired him last year. To me, he's a perimeter player that will put up points when put with good players and given a lot of ice time. His biggest asset is his shot IMO and the way I'm describing him reminds me of Brandon Pirri in a sense.

Spooner is undoubtedly faster than Strome. In the small sample I've seen of Strome, he could be one of the worst, if not worst, skaters on the team. I think he's been alright so far without looking at point totals. He seems to fit in fine in a bottom 6 role though Spooner's upside is obviously better.

What I found interesting regarding Spooner is Larry Brooks in the offseason kept suggesting the Rangers may not qualify him which was bizarre considering he came off a 50+ point season. Brooks is known to be spoon fed a lot of info from NYR brass so I just found it interesting that Boston moved on and even after a hot start, NYR didn't seem too thrilled with him. They did give him a 2 year contract though but wasted no time dumping him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Has Spooner been that bad? I was never a fan of his, even when he went on his torrid hot streak after NYR acquired him last year. To me, he's a perimeter player that will put up points when put with good players and given a lot of ice time. His biggest asset is his shot IMO and the way I'm describing him reminds me of Brandon Pirri in a sense.

Spooner is undoubtedly faster than Strome. In the small sample I've seen of Strome, he could be one of the worst, if not worst, skaters on the team. I think he's been alright so far without looking at point totals. He seems to fit in fine in a bottom 6 role though Spooner's upside is obviously better.

What I found interesting regarding Spooner is Larry Brooks in the offseason kept suggesting the Rangers may not qualify him which was bizarre considering he came off a 50+ point season. Brooks is known to be spoon fed a lot of info from NYR brass so I just found it interesting that Boston moved on and even after a hot start, NYR didn't seem too thrilled with him. They did give him a 2 year contract though but wasted no time dumping him.
He got to spend the entire last game with McDavid/Draisatl and generated nothing. He's been woeful since his acquisition.

But that's just the norm around here. We turned Eberle into Spooner. What a friggin joke.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
He got to spend the entire last game with McDavid/Draisatl and generated nothing. He's been woeful since his acquisition.

But that's just the norm around here. We turned Eberle into Spooner. What a friggin joke.

Yeah, that's rough. The thing with Spooner is he's never going to generate anything himself. He's not that type of player which is why I was never a fan. He needs time and space to do things like shoot the puck which is his biggest skill but he won't be able to create that time and space on his own. McDavid and Draisaitl should be able to do that for him but who knows.

Just to clarify above also, went back and looked at his stats and he only put up 41 points last year not 50+. But that was in 59 games so he was pacing well above 50 over 82.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Another game or two he'll be a healthy scratch, if that doesn't wake him up he'll be in Bakersfield by xmas.

How in 5 games he's tied for 3rd worse plus minus is also puzzling.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, that's rough. The thing with Spooner is he's never going to generate anything himself. He's not that type of player which is why I was never a fan. He needs time and space to do things like shoot the puck which is his biggest skill but he won't be able to create that time and space on his own. McDavid and Draisaitl should be able to do that for him but who knows.

Just to clarify above also, went back and looked at his stats and he only put up 41 points last year not 50+. But that was in 59 games so he was pacing well above 50 over 82.
Well McDavid obviously opens up time and space for other players. He did get a semi-breakaway last game I believe... and missed the net.

I feel like if he wasn't a Bruin previously this deal never happens but it's only been a week and it's been a disaster.

And I say this as someone who hates Ryan Strome.

Reactions: space321

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

He has 44 career goals and you're saying his biggest asset is his shot? This to me is saying he has none. Which is very much what its looked like.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Also, he's nothing like Yamamoto. Yamamoto, while not scoring, consistently made lots of good plays away from the puck and was noticeable in a good way most games. Please don't compare this waste of a roster spot to Yamamoto. I know that Hitch usually likes bigger players but I could see him really taking to Yamamoto if he ever gets a chance to coach him.

POS is a good example. I got taken to the cleaners on that one. But largely because I ignored the signals, wanted the player to succeeed, and tbh felt sorry for him given his abused experience with his father. I thought he might get it back on track. He'd already given up.

FF to Spooner and there were several red flags being ignored that were indelible. (same with Wideman) I've noted all the concerns but theres other stated information that gives one a bit of an inside to a players throught process. Spooner chronically explains away his play. Or excuses it, or blames it on something. The case of him blaming it on his coach, Julien, was among the worst comments you see hockey players make so I was really interested that people weren't picking up on it, and what it indicated about the player.

Could say a lot more but my every indication was this was a fail move. This is already a dead player. Already given up on his dream.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I'll be honest, last night I found myself wishing we had traded a different player for Ryan Spooner, so we could have rolled out a line of:
Spooner - Strome - Nugent-Hopkins

and called it, "The All-Ryans Lines"

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
The trade shakes out like this so far this season:

Eberle: GP 23/ G 6/ A5 /Pts: 11/ Salary 6 mil
Spooner: GP 21/ G1/A1/Pts:2/Salary 4 mil

that is some special GM'ing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events