[EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He excelled with Pasta and Krejci...imagine Spooner/McDavid/Draisaitl

Love Spoons. Hitchcock giving him a shot and wishing him the best!

Excelled? At what? 2nd assists and having next to nothing to do with the plays? The guy has 44 career goals and the timeframe you are citing is years ago. reality is Spooner was probably weeks away from being a waiver attempt. As it is the rangers bought back 900K to get rid of a useless player.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Love this move. Giving Spooner a shot to become an asset. No harm, no foul imo. Drai and McD create enough together anyway

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hitchcock makes moves / changes that once they are done they seem so painfully obvious.
Finally a real coach .
Well McLellan had Spooner for 2 games and Hitch had him for 2 games and both used him in a pretty identical manner, Hitch is making the change in his 3rd game with the team, something McLellan didn't have the opportunity to do.

Watching Spooners highlight reel pretty much all his goals are near open nets from a great pass or streaking in as the late man following up a play from a more talented player. He does seem to have the ability to leech off of superior talents (which is a skill) while being overall an independently weak player. I support the move just cause I dislike his defensive game and Drai + McDavid tilt the puck more to the offensive zone plays more to his strengths and away from his weaknesses.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Spooner is pretty quick, but so far I have seen nothing from him to prove the theory that he is any sort of upgrade from Strome. Just sort of skates around, is invisible most of the time, is not engaged in the play. The law of diminishing assets.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
LOL
Now we're keeping updates on Strome???

F*** me, HFOils player that got away.
rrr.gif

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
we got rid of a slow 30 point center for a fast 40 point winger.
and you're losing you're **** over it.

really?
giphy.gif

This is what you're ****ing on about?
2 points in 20 games so far this year and a very tidy -10 to boot. Didn't take long for Strome to match Spooner's output so far this year.

But I'm sorry, everything Chiarelli does is magic. We shouldn't complain because the man has an eye for talent.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
2 points in 20 games so far this year and a very tidy -10 to boot. Didn't take long for Strome to match Spooner's output so far this year.

But I'm sorry, everything Chiarelli does is magic. We shouldn't complain because the man has an eye for talent.

If you say so

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well he did pull about this roster out of his ass so that says a lot.

Guess we can't be skeptical about the GM.

If Chiarelli finds an actual upgrade on Matt Benning it would be the first time he actually bothered to upgrade the defense in over a year.

I'm pretty sure you going to bitch about regardless.

space321

May 11, 2011
15/16, 16/17 and 17/18 :thumbu:

He's currently on his longest pts draught of his entire career in the NHL, 10 GP without a point, and on his worse pace ever (by far) with 2 pts in 20 GP. Maybe this is his new normal, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So can I call Strome a 50 point centre then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad