[EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Good for him but he wasn't getting it done here. Spooner's skating and playmaking are better than Strome's and he's even tried to do his best to buy in and play physical as well.

Yeah well Spooner only has one point in 8 games so he hasn't really been getting it done either.

Reactions: Summary

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I don't get how people are still complaining about the trade. Neither player was getting the job done for their respective team, hence the trade to give each of them a fresh start elsewhere. If the trade has helped Strome, then great (I haven't followed him so I have no idea), but it really has no bearing on Spooner's performance here. Strome is no better or worst than Spooner (when looking at their body of work for the Oilers and only the Oilers). Kind of what you expect from a trade involving Ryan Strome.

Reactions: joestevens29

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
By my eye he looks like he can create offense much better than a guy like Strome could for us.
I’d like to agree with you and I hope he comes around. Right now he usually playing way too far away from the puck, staying around the perimeter too often or kind of “cherry picking” in the o-zone. When he has handled the puck, he hasnt been doing much with it other than put it in bad places. He had a partial 2 on 1 with Drai against LA the other night and he just kind of dumped it into an open space way too far ahead of Drai and LA easily recovered it and turned it the other way, for example. He is a pretty good skater but I have yet to see him blow past anyone with the puck, make a dangle to freeze someone and create some room, or make anyone miss an attempted hit. I sincerely hope this changes because we reaaalllly need him to contribute. As soon as Reider gets back, he’s likely riding pine.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Looking back on this trade after a few games, the reasonable explanation is that this was a contract dump; the Oilers take the lesser overall player, but after 1 year he's off the books. I mean I also believe they thought Spooner could turn it around to previous form, but that's just a gamble, where as the shorter term is the sure thing that makes this happen.

The goalie position is the big unknown contract wise at the end of the season, and I imagine chia (if he's still around, god save us) is going to spend like his career depends on it for 2 good goalies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’d like to agree with you and I hope he comes around. Right now he usually playing way too far away from the puck, staying around the perimeter too often or kind of “cherry picking” in the o-zone. When he has handled the puck, he hasnt been doing much with it other than put it in bad places. He had a partial 2 on 1 with Drai against LA the other night and he just kind of dumped it into an open space way too far ahead of Drai and LA easily recovered it and turned it the other way, for example. He is a pretty good skater but I have yet to see him blow past anyone with the puck, make a dangle to freeze someone and create some room, or make anyone miss an attempted hit. I sincerely hope this changes because we reaaalllly need him to contribute. As soon as Reider gets back, he’s likely riding pine.

If I had a $ every time that Drai made a pass that was just out of reach of McDavid or even worse I'd have a fat wallet. I don't see him as the odd man out and I see him as a much more likely offensive contributor than Strome in the role that he's been thrust into. Look at last night, when he gets a couple of guys with skill on his line he pots a goal. Odds are that Strome fires that puck wide or right into the goalies crest.

Strome was a safer bet as far as contributions towards winning this season, offense or not. I hope we can agree on that.

Hope all that you want, I don't agree with it. In this league you have to at least be a threat to score or make a pass to create a goal. Strome was neither for us this season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Looking back on this trade after a few games, the reasonable explanation is that this was a contract dump; the Oilers take the lesser overall player, but after 1 year he's off the books. I mean I also believe they thought Spooner could turn it around to previous form, but that's just a gamble, where as the shorter term is the sure thing that makes this happen.

The goalie position is the big unknown contract wise at the end of the season, and I imagine chia (if he's still around, god save us) is going to spend like his career depends on it for 2 good goalies.
The contracts are now identical. After retention by the Rags Spooner's deal is $3.1M for two years which is exactly what Strome's deal was. I think they were looking for a little offense and perhaps a bit more speed.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

Chia would just throw all of Talbot's money at Koskinen and call up Montoya then tell us "we're prepared"

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The contracts are now identical. After retention by the Rags Spooner's deal is $3.1M for two years which is exactly what Strome's deal was. I think they were looking for a little offense and perhaps a bit more speed.
No, the Spooner contact is up at the end of the season.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He looked really good last game.

I think players want to make Hitch happy and be part of the team he is creating.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Hitch was bang on with his assessment imo. He was too much of a perimeter player when he was a winger. Just not effective on a wing with his style of game.

Hopefully we see some solid 4th line play with him centering.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I still think its too early to say much about the trade. Neither guy was really doing much for their team.

I would of liked to see the Oilers make the Hitchcock hire first and see what he could of 0ut of Strome.

Reactions: Summary

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
guess nobody cares enough about it to start one.

why would we talk about tonights game when we can talk about missing ryan strome lolololololololololololololol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad