[EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Fast skater? You clearly didn't watch him very well.
I have heard other fans on this forum (Oilers') complaining that Strome was slow, but I just didn't see that. To me, he looked very fast. I'm pretty sure he was one of the fastest skaters on the team.

I mean, does he look like Lucic here?:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I have heard other fans on this forum (Oilers') complaining that Strome was slow, but I just didn't see that. To me, he looked very fast. I'm pretty sure he was one of the fastest skaters on the team.

I mean, does he look like Lucic here?:

Objectively speaking, yes, Strome is a poor skater and it’s the one thing that will likely keep him from ever realizing his offensive potential.

Unfortunately Spooner appear to score like Strome and defend like Betty White.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Sooner Spooner can be kicked into the Lunar
then we can gather around a fire and talk about Chiarelli's latest Humour.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Spooner seems like a really poor man's Eberle.

So far, this guy's Eberle

homeless-guy-in-hollywood.jpg

His weak looking Kyle Wellwood physique does not inspire much confidence either.

I still don't get this trade!! Did Chia really think this move would move the needle to avoid McLellan being fired? This team is so annoying. Strome is on the wing and instantly playing better. Hitch wanted Brodziak at 3C so the same could have happened here with Strome, him playing wing, like Chia always wanted to see and McLellan refused to do.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its too bad the thread is separated out from the last one in which the majority of posters were telling us what an upgrade Spooner is, hands down, and that he immediately makes us better.

The posts that it doesn't matter if Spooner gives up a lot more GA, he'll more than make up for that were amongst the oddest comments.

Theres a lot of crow that should be eaten in this thread based on the last one. I see Strome is doing his part as well feeding crow.

Anyway. Theres spooner on topline, as a winger, setting up in front of the net, with his 1 G all season, while 2 13 goal scorer allstars are digging in the corners and battling so they can get it out to the creep that doesn't score. This happened REPEATEDLY.

This despite Hitch saying he needs Spooner to get in on the forecheck, use his speed to get to pucks and create puck battles.

Not only is Spooner bad and useless he's ignoring coaching direction and freelancing as he always does.

"Hey Leon, Connor, whats up, how come you not digging the puck out for me and giving me perfect feeds in front of the net"

I've played hockey and if a new player on the team saw it as his duty to take a plum role in front of the net like this, a guy that doesn't even score, somebody would take him out back and have a talk. the funniest thing is opponents seem to realize you don't even have to cover this guy, we're shorthanded with him on the ice. He's as bad as Yamamoto was except Yama has size and youth as an excuse and was at least trying.

does anybody seriously think Connor and Leon enjoyed this latest experiment?

I mean put anybody up there, Cagg, Chiasson, Rattie, Pulju, even Kassian. All of this could work or help. But Spoonfed? lmfao. The WORST choice for topsix since Yama. I would even put Khaira up before this guy.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Its too bad the thread is separated out from the last one in which the majority of posters were telling us what an upgrade Spooner is, hands down, and that he immediately makes us better.

The posts that it doesn't matter if Spooner gives up a lot more GA, he'll more than make up for that were amongst the oddest comments.

Theres a lot of crow that should be eaten in this thread based on the last one. I see Strome is doing his part as well feeding crow.

Anyway. Theres spooner on topline, as a winger, setting up in front of the net, with his 1 G all season, while 2 13 goal scorer allstars are digging in the corners and battling so they can get it out to the creep that doesn't score. This happened REPEATEDLY.

This despite Hitch saying he needs Spooner to get in on the forecheck, use his speed to get to pucks and create puck battles.

Not only is Spooner bad and useless he's ignoring coaching direction and freelancing as he always does.

"Hey Leon, Connor, whats up, how come you not digging the puck out for me and giving me perfect feeds in front of the net"

I've played hockey and if a new player on the team saw it as his duty to take a plum role in front of the net like this, a guy that doesn't even score, somebody would take him out back and have a talk. the funniest thing is opponents seem to realize you don't even have to cover this guy, we're shorthanded with him on the ice. He's as bad as Yamamoto was except Yama has size and youth as an excuse and was at least trying.

does anybody seriously think Connor and Leon enjoyed this latest experiment?

I mean put anybody up there, Cagg, Chiasson, Rattie, Pulju, even Kassian. All of this could work or help. But Spoonfed? lmfao. The WORST choice for topsix since Yama. I would even put Khaira up before this guy.

You can change the coach but you can't change the Oilers giving anyone else minutes with Mcdavid over JP.

Reactions: space321

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
This is why Chia should be fired. Now. He's just going to keep f****** the team up in a vain effort to save his own ass. How long will tptb let that happen?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Spooner fail, Wideman fail.....What's next Chiaturd?
I think he lets this team ride this out for a while. I'm not against the idea. It is what it is. Unless Jersey is crazy enough to trade Vatanen for his own goal I don't think there are options on the table.

Also yes I want a move, but at the same time, he's made a couple moves and the coach is only 3 games in so imo just slow things down for a bit.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think he lets this team ride this out for a while. I'm not against the idea. It is what it is. Unless Jersey is crazy enough to trade Vatanen for his own goal I don't think there are options on the table.

Also yes I want a move, but at the same time, he's made a couple moves and the coach is only 3 games in so imo just slow things down for a bit.

Let Chia ride out the season then fire him the day after our last game. Playoffs or no playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Let Chia ride out the season then fire him the day after our last game. Playoffs or no playoffs.

Fire him on Boxing Day. What really does he need to be here for if he's dead man walking. Rip it off like a band aid and get it over with.

You have more time to conduct a proper and thorough search for someone new and they will have more time to evaluate.

Reactions: Porkleaker

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Nobody should be surprised that Strome is producing. The analytics suggested it was just a matter of time, plus he is no longer saddled with an offensive black hole (Lucic) and an AHLer in Puljujarvi.

It should also be pointed out that Strome was buddies with McDavid and well liked by his teammates in general. So this trade has hurt the Oilers offensively, defensively and even in the dressing room. Chiarelli is truly awful.

Reactions: BudBundy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad