Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My bet is Hitch went to Chia after the game last night and told him "I can't work with Nurse AND Benning in my Top 4. Get me some help or I quit."

(OK, maybe not the I quit part)

All Chia has to do is listen to Hitchs post game pressers to understand he’s screaming for help.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Chia went from trading a 6th to get wideman.. to a 3rd to get petrovic. I'm scared what his next move will be... a 2nd or 1st?

Stop this desperate man while you can

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sometimes people need to recalibrate the respective differences in NHL play regionally.

We're in the WC, the Pacific Division. A big body punishing D like Petrovic is a better fit for this division and conference than Wideman is. Simple as that.

People wondered if Gravel would be good here. Petrovic will be much of that and punch donkeys.

I don't mind this one at all. I think a couple months from now it will turn out as a positive move.

Petrovic is a worse version of Gravel. They don't need another Gravel or Larsson. Chia loves these big, slow plugs.

They had a pretty good draft situation with multiple 3rds and just blew the higher 3rd on a player who is waiver material. I bet Hitch had some input on this, he loves these slow plodding players.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sometimes people need to recalibrate the respective differences in NHL play regionally.

We're in the WC, the Pacific Division. A big body punishing D like Petrovic is a better fit for this division and conference than Wideman is. Simple as that.

People wondered if Gravel would be good here. Petrovic will be much of that and punch donkeys.

I don't mind this one at all. I think a couple months from now it will turn out as a positive move.

I looked him up but no report on him in eliteprospects. I didn’t realize he is from Edmonton. His name was linked to us last year as well.
What does he have for foot speed? I don’t care if he scores as long as he keeps it outta our net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Doubt Edm fans would be complaining if it was a swap one for one. I think they are upset at adding a pick.

Your comment implies they are equal in value and impact just different in terms of style so begs why add a pick.

Wideman cost us basically nothing because it was a throwaway 6th pick. With Oilers scouting you're not getting anything anyway..

Its more palatable to look at this as Petrovic for a 3rd. Or a 3rd and a 6th if the 6th is considered relevant.

At no point was Wideman actually a player for us and I consider him a cancer as well. I actually consider it a plus getting rid of Wideman, never wanted him. He didn't take to being here either, that was quite clear. Spooner is another. We can't have passengers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I haven't seen Petrovic lately but he's a guy that had value at one point. Has his game taken a complete swan dive?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If Wideman played for any non Chia team this trade would have been straight across but the Panthers knew they could squeeze a nice little draft pick out of Peter.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Devil's advocate: Reilly Smith wasn't good enough for Florida either.

They aren't exactly a shining beacon of player evaluation either (just like the Oilers).

Florida likes using lots of fancy pie charts and scatter diagrams. Ain’t working out for them too well. They also have a dysfunctional and nepotistic management team. Led by the rich owners son. Imagine the outcry when Katz gives his son a directorship.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I like this. Not a huge fan of wideman though he didn't have much chance on the pp. He can't be worse then benning

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This trade cost us a 3rd. Wideman was gotten with the Jerabek pick. That said 1 assist in 26games? Yikes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I looked him up but no report on him in eliteprospects. I didn’t realize he is from Edmonton. His name was linked to us last year as well.
What does he have for foot speed? I don’t care if he scores as long as he keeps it outta our net.

He's not a pylon. He's as good as Gravel (who I like a lot) with less of a step but more physicality. Some punishing hits. Petrovic is somebody that can really wake up opponents with some hits. The kind of hits that cause people to be less inclined to be in scoring areas.

Its predictable though that I would like this kind of player. I like physical D that are big and tough.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Well, quite a few on this board have wanted to trade for Petrovic for what seems like years. Maybe Chia finally is turning to HFOil for his trade targets :sarcasm:

Not a fan of the price but if he miraculously becomes a mainstay on the third pairing it's not too bad. I'll wait and see but it smells like more Chiarelli asset devaluation.

Reactions: GameChanger

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Florida likes using lots of fancy pie charts and scatter diagrams. Ain’t working out for them too well. They also have a dysfunctional and nepotistic management team. Led by the rich owners son. Imagine the outcry when Katz gives his son a directorship.
Florida isn’t an analytics team since Tallon took over if thats what youre implying. Even the most basic stats tell you not to give away Marchessault and Smith to protect Petrovic.

Reactions: Aerrol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Petrovic is better than Wideman and the most important thing at this point is getting through the injuries. We’ll see how the value pans out, but at least it makes us better right now

A 3rd and Jerabek for Petrovic actually

You got a #7 for another #7. At best. And gave up a 3rd rounder.:huh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This trade cost us a 3rd. Wideman was gotten with the Jerabek pick. That said 1 assist in 26games? Yikes.

Our major problem during the losing streak has been GA and not protecting the net. this addresess that. Wideman was garbage here. I didn't get one indication he even wanted to be here.

Wideman gets reunited with Hoffman in Florida and I think he will like it more there. We bring back an Edmonton boy that the team has wanted before and that probably would like being here.

I think its a win.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Are we taking Gryba slow?
All I know if Florida fans really soured on him because he was the reason they lost Marchy and Smith. He’s also been on a nose dive the past 2 years. If we’re trading for a Florida dman for cheap, at least get a useful one like Pysyk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad