Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's not a pylon. He's as good as Gravel (who I like a lot) with less of a step but more physicality. Some punishing hits. Petrovic is somebody that can really wake up opponents with some hits. The kind of hits that cause people to be less inclined to be in scoring areas.

Its predictable though that I would like this kind of player. I like physical D that are big and tough.

He can hit opponents but he provides zero offense, can't move the puck and has rocks for brains.
I would have been fine with Wideman straight up for him. Giving up a 3rd for a player who gets caved in regularly is mind boggling. It undoes the good of the Davidson trade, the one minor victory Chia had in the last few seasons. Somehow the moves that were hailed as his good moves go to shit (Talbot and Maroon, Sekera even though it's not his fault and the Davidson trade).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He can hit opponents but he provides zero offense, can't move the puck and has rocks for brains.
I would have been fine with Wideman straight up for him. Giving up a 3rd for a player who gets caved in regularly is mind boggling. It undoes the good of the Davidson trade, the one minor victory Chia had in the last few seasons. Somehow the moves that were hailed as his good moves go to **** (Talbot and Maroon, Sekera even though it's not his fault and the Davidson trade).

Chia is like King sadiM.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would have been fine with Wideman straight up for him. Giving up a 3rd for a player who gets caved in regularly is mind boggling. It undoes the good of the Davidson trade, the one minor victory Chia had in the last few seasons. Somehow the moves that were hailed as his good moves go to **** (Talbot and Maroon, Sekera even though it's not his fault and the Davidson trade).

Don't we have bunch of guys already that fit that description? The NHL today is a thinking mans game. Yes, there is still physicality, but you need to move the puck, make smart plays, and contribute to the offense in 5 man units. Guys that can't keep up or make smart plays usually wind up on the lousy teams.

BTW, I agree with what you said.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If I had to list the top three teams with the dumbest GMs in the league, it would be Edmonton, Ottawa, and Florida. So glad they can all f*** up their teams together.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
We got a third for Davidson, picks are over valued here
And here is the thought process that leads to having a team like ours.

Then again, it seems as though no matter who we pick, we can't develop them.

Don't like the trade, Petrovic is brutal. Hope he can find his game here in a division and with a coach that suits his style more, but I won't be holding my breath.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Petrovic is a big, slow, overpaid shutdown defender who isn't even good at being a shutdown defender.

He is Eric Gryba 2.0

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think this move is to eventually replace Benning. For now push him down the line up. Which I have mixed feelings about.

Benning impressed in 2016-2017 and then... just never really reached that level again and has really struggled with consistency. Even in the middle of games he is so wildly inconsistent. He is an nhl bottom pairing defender but typically fails against higher competition and has brain farts.

At one point Petrovic was looking like a solid top 4 defender but obviously not the case right now. Imo he is at least as good as Benning but much more of a low event type defender.

Russell Larsson
Nurse Petrovic
Gravel Benning

Is a crap defense but the kind that can tread water and reduce everyones stress a tiny bit. Until Klefbom gets back... and Sekera?

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
I like it, he's definitely player who'll fit in Hitch system. Thought he need's to play with a puck moving guy.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Do we really really need another #7 dman that badly to give up a 3rd? Sekera is coming back soon.. Russell can't be too far off. And we have Gravel and Jones who probably aren't that much off from Petrovic at this point in his career. I'd have rather used that pick and other assets to pick up a forward instead.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think this move is to eventually replace Benning. For now push him down the line up. Which I have mixed feelings about.

Benning impressed in 2016-2017 and then... just never really reached that level again and has really struggled with consistency. Even in the middle of games he is so wildly inconsistent. He is an nhl bottom pairing defender but typically fails against higher competition and has brain farts.

At one point Petrovic was looking like a solid top 4 defender but obviously not the case right now. Imo he is at least as good as Benning but much more of a low event type defender.

Russell Larsson
Nurse Petrovic
Gravel Benning

Is a crap defense but the kind that can tread water and reduce everyones stress a tiny bit. Until Klefbom gets back... and Sekera?
He has 10% of Benning offensive ability and is just as bad defensively.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We got a third for Davidson, picks are over valued here
Its not so much the pick.

It's that from all accounts of people who have watched the guy play we picked up a player who can't skate, can't pass, can't defend and is trending downward as a player.

Chiarelli can dumpster dive as much as he wants to. Until he starts adding some legitimate players to this roster we're going to be a garbage team.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->