Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I liked Gravel because we got him for nothing. But I like this too because its a similar punishing player, no nonsense D, and a guy that can just clear net and keep guys from getting the easy ones around the net. Our goalies have been hung out to dry the last half dozen games. This addresses that as does Petrovic size.

Wideman is exactly the type of D that wasn't helping. He was horrible in ownzone and coverage. Wideman might work better in schemes and configs we don't have. Petrovic is a fit with what we do.

To me sending Wideman away is almost a plus in this. I could never understand acquiring him. I actually like we've been able to parlay Wideman for Petrovic.

Essentially we got a Petrovic rental for a 6th and a 3rd pick. We have to compete now so I don't mind it costing some low probability futures.
Petrovic is worse 5on5 than Wideman...and we added a 3rd

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Chia is probably looking to shop nurse for a forward now that we have Petro. By Petro I mean Petrovic and not Pietrangelo

Reactions: Mez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sometimes people need to recalibrate the respective differences in NHL play regionally.

We're in the WC, the Pacific Division. A big body punishing D like Petrovic is a better fit for this division and conference than Wideman is. Simple as that.

People wondered if Gravel would be good here. Petrovic will be much of that and punch donkeys.

I don't mind this one at all. I think a couple months from now it will turn out as a positive move.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chia is probably looking to shop nurse for a forward now that we have Petro. By Petro I mean Petrovic and not Pietrangelo

Already called that the Oilers will be shopping one D out due to this trade and likely signing Petrovic for half of what they are paying several D. I wouldn't want it to be Nurse moving out but somebody will and it will save cap for elsewhere.

Both the Gravel and Petrovic additions allow this. Wideman wasn't solving anthing here. He was contributing to the bleeding GA.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Big Petrovic fan.

Injuries have dampened his effectiveness unfortunately but he may still be a significant upgrade on Benning and able to improve the team.

I'm surprised Florida let him go but he has steadily declined for a while there.

Like the move. Reasonable price.

I'm sure there are many that will pan it saying Chiarelli should have gotten someone better but as I've said a million times. Top 3 defenders are not available short of very high end assets going the other way.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Sometimes people need to recalibrate the respective differences in NHL play regionally.

We're in the WC, the Pacific Division. A big body punishing D like Petrovic is a better fit for this division and conference than Wideman is. Simple as that.

People wondered if Gravel would be good here. Petrovic will be much of that and punch donkeys.

I don't mind this one at all. I think a couple months from now it will turn out as a positive move.
To add on, Petrovic can be traded at the Trade Deadline for a draft pick if he plays bad.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Like I've been saying, Nurse + JP for Couturier.

RNH - McDavid - Chiasson
Drai - Couturier - Rattie
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian
Lucic - Spooner - Caggiula

Klef - Larsson
Russell - Jones
Gravel - Petrovic
Benning

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
In the end.. this transaction won't have an effect. Just another small move that won't really make any impact

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Doubt Edm fans would be complaining if it was a swap one for one. I think they are upset at adding a pick.

Your comment implies they are equal in value and impact just different in terms of style so begs why add a pick.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

I agree, I don't hate the trade at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A high 3rd rounder is not considered low probability futures to me. And this is for a pending bottom pairing UFA dman

At this McD clock timeframe a 3rd pick is nothing to me. We have to right the ship now, spring the leaks, or its SOS.

We have only one timeframe for winning and its the McD/DRai in prime tenure. I hardly even care what we draft in 2019 because it doesn't pay immediate dividends. 3rd round spells development system player almost invariably. I'm less concerned with futures in a compete now team environment. This team HAS to compete now.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I like it. We get rid of Wideman and get a punishing D who can hit and bring some physicality. Good addition and Chia showing some response (but way late) to the D injury predicament. A vet that can help steady the ship and good enough to be around even when we get healthy.

Good Edmonton boy, reasonable contract but only for this year so this is a rental unless we can resign. If we do resign it can open up a move of one of our higher priced D which would provide some cap space relief.

Don't know the draft pick we're giving up yet, but so far I like it.

edit its only a third round pick. Great pick up. Its hilarious that Petrovic was one of the players Florida protected in the expansion draft while losing Marchessault and Smith. One of those rare moments when we're fleecing some other team.

That said Wideman had no interest in being here and exhibited it on the ice. He was basically a flagman here waving opponents in on goal and saying have a good day..Wideman strikes me as somebody who might play better in Florida. It wasn't going to be here.

Yeah, good luck with his "physicality." If he consistently provided that, he'd still be in Sunrise.

Florida gave him every chance to prove himself, including protecting him in the expansion draft. Could never put it together. Always a step too slow, turns the puck over, and when he does, it usually ends up in the net.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
So when does Spooner get moved? Seems like every Chia pickup doesnt stay very long

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At this McD clock timeframe a 3rd pick is nothing to me. We have to right the ship now, spring the leaks, or its SOS.

We have only one timeframe for winning and its the McD/DRai in prime tenure. I hardly even care what we draft in 2019 because it doesn't pay immediate dividends. 3rd round spells development system player almost invariably. I'm less concerned with futures in a compete now team environment. This team HAS to compete now.

While I would generally agree, you can smell the desperation in Chia's moves lately.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014

Would rather sink and let the entire management go down with it. Because for Chiarelli righting the ship either means barely moving the needle (in this case) or burning the ship down.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My bet is Hitch went to Chia after the game last night and told him "I can't work with Nurse AND Benning in my Top 4. Get me some help or I quit."

(OK, maybe not the I quit part)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree, I don't hate the trade at all.

Yeah, no nonsense D are good for the type of goalies we have. We're allowing far too many GA now and far too many instances of D wandering or just getting blown up around the net. Larsson and Nurse are playing on fumes. We really miss Klef and Russell. Wideman was doing nothing here but providing moments where Benning was not the worst looking D..;)

Strong guys like Gravel and Petrovic can play some more minutes and help stop the bleeding. We've been short usable D, we've been clamoring for Chia to do something about it, he does, and now the pitchforks are out.

Gee sorry guys, it wasn't OEL coming back in return..;)

heh

Petrovic has often pissed me off when we play the Panthers. I've noticed him a lot as being tough to play against. That's a good thing in a lineup.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Giving up a 3rd round pick for a bottom-pair D is very poor asset management. Sigh...

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad