Post-Game Talk: ECSF Game 2 - Lightning win 4-2 and the series is tied 1-1

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fear not friends, I have it on good authority from a big time inside source that the head of refereeing has set a mandate for the start of game 3, the MOMENT a Bolts player so much as sneezes on a Bruin, it`s 2 mins, we got this

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
On the bright side, McAvoy looks like he's healthier and playing much better this series. Is there any status on Kuraly? He needs to C the 3rd line with Nash struggling
McAvoy I think said he took off the brace and feels like he got rid of 20 lbs

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The issue I have with the Marchand non-call was that in the regular season the refs barely made an effort to discern whether a slash like that was a stick lift or not, they just saw the position of the two players and the stick reach and called it a slash. Blindly. And now the best offensive player on the ice is a step ahead of a dman who blatantly whacks with the stick, the puck falls off his stick, and NOW you are going to find a way to let it go? That was complete BS. That was solely because it was Marchand or there was favoritism, which I'm going to assume was not the case. If Sinden was still GM he'd have had a field day with that one.

Overall the refs were a joke last night. The Krug slash, the Johnson "rough", the missed Marchand call, etc. Amateur hour. I'll give them a break on the Pasta high-stick because in real time that looked like his stick, but the rest was putrid. And how mad would you have been if you were TB and half your power play was spent with a net off? I still have no idea why Rask pointed it out (is that anything but stupid?), but how does that happen? Just an awful job all night by the refs.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
yep, said the same thing myself earlier in the thread, puck was right there for him, he would have gotten to it first, instead, does a half turn to the refs, puts his arms in the air and in the meantime, Stralman scoops it up and moves it out. I despise the passes backwards too. How many times have we had Bruin players pass it/drop it and the opponent right there to take it and goes in and pops one? Just can`t make that mistake
Course, how many times does it work? Like Bergeron's goal in game 1 and McAvoy's last night...

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I was just listening to NHL radio (Steve Kouleos I believe) and they discussed it. Kouleos thought it was a good play by Stralman on the Marchand breakaway at first glance. But he said after seeing the reply he thought it should have been a penalty shot. What he was saying is that's what he thinks the ref may have thought as well. They did go over all the other calls as well, but at the end of the day as they say, gotta avoid being those situations to let non-calls affect the outcome.

That said, a day later, I don't feel any different. I didn't expect the B's to sweep them and they were a desperate team playing for their lives last night and it showed. Still think the B's should win this series
I agree. All things considered, we were in it until the end last night. Thought TB played hard and well and we played poorly. We'll be good in Boston.

As far as last night goes, I don't want to pin it on refs, Boston should have been better. However, I do want the NHL to fix what they can:

Ticky tacky slash by Krug was silly. However, if they set that standard it has to be maintained throughout. The slash on Marchy by comparison was clearly a penalty whether ref though it was on hands or not.

Double minor on Pasta? Can't do anything about that. Game is fast and it's hard to see everything. Stralman knew it was his stick but sold it very well.

The cross check on Pasta at the end? If the board by McDonagh on Marchy was called and the board on Miller was called -- the crosscheck right in the numbers in front of the boards and a ref looking right at it has to be called regardless of stage of game.

Refs can make mistakes -- that happens to players, coaches, everyone. Refs need to be consistent though. I'd prefer to let them play but IF they are going to make simple infraction calls a trip in the first period is a trip in OT.

Sorry for the rant Chief -- the refs pissed me off last night!

Reactions: Chief Nine

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
After a night of a little sleep....The B's need to come out better. The stripes were so bad in the third that it would be funny except it isn't funny. I was happy to hear some of the guys call out the stripes. They will certainly hear from me tomorrow if they continue to suck at their job.

The B's need to hit Tampa players every chance they get. It seemed like Tampa was pushing the B's around last night and I HATE that.

Brad has pretty much kept his cool even though he gets mauled every shift. His wrist was already hurting from a slash in the Toronto series and than he gets slashed last night with (as usual :thumbd:) NO
CALL.

Pasta must be pissed after sitting 4 min in the box for NOTHING. The Tampa player should have sat for slashing himself :madfire:

Does anyone know if something official can be done about the poor calls (and lack of) ? The NHL HAS to see last night's game and know this shouldn't happen. Anyone know ???
This is where our Hall of fame owner (what a joke) should be using his relationship with the commissioner to have him call the refs and get on their cases about being very very poor. They need to have some pride in their work.....

This team is on the short end way too much. Our GM and owner need to make a stand. Privately.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I agree. All things considered, we were in it until the end last night. Thought TB played hard and well and we played poorly. We'll be good in Boston.

As far as last night goes, I don't want to pin it on refs, Boston should have been better. However, I do want the NHL to fix what they can:

Ticky tacky slash by Krug was silly. However, if they set that standard it has to be maintained throughout. The slash on Marchy by comparison was clearly a penalty whether ref though it was on hands or not.

Double minor on Pasta? Can't do anything about that. Game is fast and it's hard to see everything. Stralman knew it was his stick but sold it very well.

The cross check on Pasta at the end? If the board by McDonagh on Marchy was called and the board on Miller was called -- the crosscheck right in the numbers in front of the boards and a ref looking right at it has to be called regardless of stage of game.

Refs can make mistakes -- that happens to players, coaches, everyone. Refs need to be consistent though. I'd prefer to let them play but IF they are going to make simple infraction calls a trip in the first period is a trip in OT.

Sorry for the rant Chief -- the refs pissed me off last night!

No worries at all @Number8! Well said, I can't disagree with anything you wrote here. I think most of us would rather not carp about calls or non-calls, but that was pretty bad as you pointed out so well

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
They did the same thing wit boarding. They did call the boardings earlier in the game (I think the Miller one was weak but okay), but the cross check/boarding on Pasta was also pretty textbook. No way a red missed that.

Look-we all know the Bruins laid a stinker, but Krug’s goal got them a momentum swing and the non call on Marchand and Pasta pretty much sucked the life out of that momentum.

The poor reffing didn’t make the Bruins play bad, but the poor reffing in the third made it difficult for the Bruins to mount a comeback. The bad calls just screwed too much with the attempted come back.

Fact of the matter is the officials need to be consistent. I have said all I need to about last nights game. What I expect is consistency with the officiating. In both game in Tampa it has not been there.

Yes the team was not great, but what does that have to do with consistent officiating?

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
At this stage of the game you need adrenaline/desperation to push through the fatigue

Didn't have that last night

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I all hear is refs this refs that, but honestly we played like shit anyway. Tampa brought it consistently and we weathered some of it, but we probably only had 20 minutes of good hockey last night. Won't be good enough especially if Kucherov and Stamkos decided to suit up. I fully expect a bounce back performance tomorrow.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ok. One game at a time. :thumbu:

On another subject, THIS IS DISGRACEFUL

He’s been outstanding the last two games and he looks like he is finally showing the milk crate tossing fire that he’s got burning inside. My confidence is honestly at an all time high with Rask.

Reactions: sooshii

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
That officiating last night was clearly corrupt. I will not be convinced otherwise.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
That officiating last night was clearly corrupt. I will not be convinced otherwise.

Yup, one can try to explain away "judgment calls", but a few of those last night were not even that..........and I'm still trying to figure out how on Earth the refs could take so damn long to blow the whistle with the goal dislodged. It's almost to the point of being comical.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Yup, one can try to explain away "judgment calls", but a few of those last night were not even that..........and I'm still trying to figure out how on Earth the refs could take so damn long to blow the whistle with the goal dislodged. It's almost to the point of being comical.
It can't bs explained away as mere incompetence at this point. That game last night was a borderline farce, regardless of how well the Bruins played. My confidence/belief in the NHL is shaken.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I all hear is refs this refs that, but honestly we played like **** anyway. Tampa brought it consistently and we weathered some of it, but we probably only had 20 minutes of good hockey last night. Won't be good enough especially if Kucherov and Stamkos decided to suit up. I fully expect a bounce back performance tomorrow.

Sure but teams often steal playoff games when they aren't at their best. Give TB credit for winning a must-win game for them, but Boston weathered the early storm and had a chance to steal that. Just because they maybe didn't "deserve" it by the eye test, they can't have their chance stolen from them by bad officiating. Those refs blew, and they robbed the Bruins of momentum that easily could have changed that game and the series/season. No excuse for that.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
In November, I 150% agree with you. Second round of the playoffs I don’t want anyone associated with the team doing anything to ruffle feathers or be seen in a negative light. Given the situation, I think he handled it perfectly. Called out the issue but was respectful about it.
Okay fair enough, but ultimately what matters is whether it buys you calls. For example, clearly Babcock said something to get the linesmen to decide Patrice Bergeron is the biggest faceoff cheater the NHL has ever seen. And that worked to his advantage, whether he did it respectfully or not. So sure, be a gentleman if possible, but get the job done. You may not buy yourself calls next game, but at least make the refs reluctant to screw you in the near future. They are human after all, and they are susceptible to pressure by coaches, fans, etc. I'd exert some pressure after last night's debacle.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Sure but teams often steal playoff games when they aren't at their best. Give TB credit for winning a must-win game for them, but Boston weathered the early storm and had a chance to steal that. Just because they maybe didn't "deserve" it by the eye test, they can't have their chance stolen from them by bad officiating. Those refs blew, and they robbed the Bruins of momentum that easily could have changed that game and the series/season. No excuse for that.

We had a 5 on 3 and didn't score. Pastrnak and Marchand had brutal giveaways. Like, sure the refs sucked, but we didn't do ourselves any favors either.

Not you in particular, but the lack of self awareness in fans regarding refs/diving/dirty plays is hilarious and the main reason why the main boards is a cesspool. Refs were shit, but we benefited too. They dive, we dive. They're dirty but we're dirty too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad