Post-Game Talk: ECSF Game 2 - Lightning win 4-2 and the series is tied 1-1

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think I've complained a dozen times in 40,000 posts. Last night was worth every single complaint IMO, and the worst I have seen since game 5 of our series vs Toronto, which may have been the worst called game ever.until last night. It's been awful this post season.

That being said, I agree 100% with focusing on game 3. It's like crying over spilled milk.
You are bang on, Lou. That Game 5. Tonight. The tentative play it led to.

That series against the Leafs I had very little complaint. They didn't call much at all and were at least relatively consistent outside of the Game 5 potential screw job they nearly pulled against Toronto.

I don't complain about the officiating much either (loser mentality) but last night was disgusting.

Doesn't change the fact that the Bruins did not in any way deserve the win. Or even the close score. Outside of Tuukka. First game of these playoffs where I truly thought the Bruins looked BAD.

f*** the refs. Play your game, which is a tougher one than the Lightning. The Bruins have to own that. They do, they win.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm going game 3 to get my streak to 23-0. Right now I'm not going to game 4.

I can't go to Game 4 either. Glad it's the same game you're missing, I want to see a win.

Reactions: DKH

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
tuukka did play well. but lets remember. He almost gave JT miller an empty net goal in the third, then he almost let one in from center ice right after his bad read on goal number 2. Luckily it hit the post.

Reactions: Strafer and fin8

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
Positive: Rask has been decent game.
Negatives: Not being ready to play in the first period. Some of the credit for this has to go to Tampa as they came out flying and put the pressure on. Stop blindly throwing the puck up the boards. Disappointed in the play of Backes. The face off situation with Bergeron is driving me crazy. Getting thrown out constantly while (as already mentioned) Johnson is standing sideways but doesn't get thrown out. Need scoring from lines other than the first. And of course officiating.

Reactions: Strafer

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
The officiating sucked, but I'm more pissed at the Bruins for coming out tentatively, still not being able to clear the zone, making horrible passes, and showing little sense and/or awareness, especially regarding Marchand giving up on the play, trying to get the call instead of hustling to that puck, which he likely could have turned into a scoring chance.

Sorry for the longest sentence in the history of text composition.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Devils fan here:

Sorry about the loss. I had said TB would be tough and they were from the start and the Bruins forgot to show up in the first period. The Bruins chased and TB stayed strong. IMO Rask was OK, not great, no blame on him.

So look they went to Boston tied 1-1 so it is a 5 game series. Just win game 3 it's very important, more important than losing 3 and winning 4. I know either way it's a 3 game series but Momentum will be with TB IMO if the Bruins lose game 3 and win 4. Reverse it win 3. And all the rest.

Go Bruins.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We had a 5 on 3 and didn't score. Pastrnak and Marchand had brutal giveaways. Like, sure the refs sucked, but we didn't do ourselves any favors either.

Not you in particular, but the lack of self awareness in fans regarding refs/diving/dirty plays is hilarious and the main reason why the main boards is a cesspool. Refs were ****, but we benefited too. They dive, we dive. They're dirty but we're dirty too.

Got news for you, the main board is a cesspool no matter what goes on. Nothing but hot take nonsense from 12 year old Leaves and Habs fans.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Jeremy is dead on. Not just the Bruins series but all the series.
Breakwawy and a slash on Marchands wrists....either a PP but a penalty shot would be warranted. Nope. Pasta crosschecked from behind....nothing. Get some WWE refs.
I also think his point about how egregious is was to call ticky tack stuff early, but the swallow the whistle at a crucial point in a 1 goal game is the problem.

Consistency-if refs were consistent I can accept the occasional human error. For instance the 4 minute penalty on Pasta was a bad call, but I can at least accept the human error there. In real time it’s easy to mistake that for what it wasn’t.

But a player has the puck on a breakaway-the ref should be following that play. No way did he miss that.

The Pasta crosscheck was even worse. The ref could not have missed it.

Sometimes it feels like a Bruins conspiracy but I am a bruins fan and see more bruins games.

However I’ve seen botched reffing in other play off games. The Vegas Sharks the other night was horrible too.

And then there’s the stupid face off stuff and bad icing calls. It’s like the linesmen have become incompetent too.

It’s frustrating and it ruins the NHL product.

However. Turnovers were the real issue in this game. Two goals were scored from turnovers and Tuukka saved a bunch of others.

Cassidy needs to make them focus on better decisions with the puck.

Reactions: Strafer

Florida Bruin

Jun 11, 2011
It can't bs explained away as mere incompetence at this point. That game last night was a borderline farce, regardless of how well the Bruins played. My confidence/belief in the NHL is shaken.

If we assume that some of the darkest possibilities concerning the Refs are true and that they are not this incompetent, what can possibly be the explanation?

It is Boston, not Tampa, which is the big market Original 6 Team.

I can understand bias towards big market Canada teams like TOR and Montreal but why would the NHL favor Tampa over Boston?

It doesn’t make sense to me unless Jacobs has enemies in the League Office. Is he not a nice guy?

Edited for spellcheck

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
If we assume that some of the darkest possibilities concerning the Refs are true and that they are not this incompetent, what can possibly be the explanation?

It is Boston, not Tampa, which is the big market Original 6 Team.

I can understand bias towards big market Canada teams like TOR and Montreal but why would the NHL favor Tampa over Boston?

It doesn’t make sense to me unless Jacobs has enemies in the League Office. Is he not a nice guy?

Edited for spellcheck

Maybe it is just as simple as wanting more 7 game series happening - the first round was pathetic really - two sweeps..the Bruins/Leafs the only first round going to 7.... a lot of money to be lost. Why not help certain teams along by trying to keep series competitive so they go the extra games? I don't know what to think honestly because I am biased towards the Bruins. I know one thing though, money makes the world go round and if anyone thinks the NHL is exempt from managing games to make more money, that is naive.

Reactions: TCL40

Florida Bruin

Jun 11, 2011
Maybe it is just as simple as wanting more 7 game series happening - the first round was pathetic really - two sweeps..the Bruins/Leafs the only first round going to 7.... a lot of money to be lost. Why not help certain teams along by trying to keep series competitive so they go the extra games? I don't know what to think honestly because I am biased towards the Bruins. I know one thing though, money makes the world go round and if anyone thinks the NHL is exempt from managing games to make more money, that is naive.

Thanks for your reply. Ya, your explanation makes some sense.

If there is corruption going on that could be one explanation; I have also wondered if it is somehow possible for Vegas to rig games? I wouldn’t know but just speculating.

Reactions: caz16

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Big decisions the next two nights.

If i work the Celtics game i get to watch the bruins tomorrow night from my own sofa. If i work the Bruins tomorrow I’ll probably double my money, and i can’t remember the last bruins loss i was in the building for. Friday is out of the question, can’t do it.

Chances are I’ll be up in 315 tomorrow night.

Reactions: DKH and lopey

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
out hit / out hustled all night. better team won.
Tuukka kept them in the game and gave them a chance when they were being outplayed
Not scoring on the 5 on 3 was a killer
Pasta was a bad call - should have been 2 mins at worst. Bottom line is his actions caused Hedmans stick to hit himself. happened quick and hard for refs to see
I think the right call was made on March breakaway - it was marginal interference and he is not going to get marginal calls
First line getting scored on too much - usually after prolonged push in the opposition end and then too gassed to defend in their own
I think someone else should give the pre-game pep talks because this team consistently starts slow

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
Maybe that's true for the old school fans who love baseball. But most of that fanbase are entitled and whiny. Red Sox fans were the most insufferable fan base of any sport before they won the series in 2004 and still continue to be to this day.
What is with people lumping an entire group of fans as whiny and insufferable because of a few bad apples? It's not just a Sox/C's/B's/Pats thing, every team has their share of insufferable fans but that doesn't mean their entire fan base behave that way.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
What is with people lumping an entire group of fans as whiny and insufferable because of a few bad apples? It's not just a Sox/C's/B's/Pats thing, every team has their share of insufferable fans but that doesn't mean their entire fan base behave that way.

I agree with the bolded. Very true and I couldn’t and wouldn’t argue that point.

That said, you need to backup and bold the sentence before the one you picked to focus on. It contains the the word “most” which happens to also apply to the sentence you bolded.

Big difference.

So I was not lumping an entire group of fans, but I will stand by my statement that most of that fanbase are whiny and entitled.

Now, allow me to point out the hypocrisy in this question:

“What is with people lumping an entire group of fans as whiny and insufferable because of a few bad apples?”

Aren’t you doing the very thing that you accused me of doing?

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
I agree with the bolded. Very true and I couldn’t and wouldn’t argue that point.

That said, you need to backup and bold the sentence before the one you picked to focus on. It contains the the word “most” which happens to also apply to the sentence you bolded.

Big difference.

So I was not lumping an entire group of fans, but I will stand by my statement that most of that fanbase are whiny and entitled.

Now, allow me to point out the hypocrisy in this question:

“What is with people lumping an entire group of fans as whiny and insufferable because of a few bad apples?”

Aren’t you doing the very thing that you accused me of doing?
So now I'M lumping people into a category? I don't know how you got that from my post but ok. lol

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yikes. I was trying to read through the Main Thread on the series. It was like a day care center with children saying stupid stuff. Do you have to be under 6 years old to post there ?

Some Tampa fans think they won the cup already.

I hope the B's blow them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad