Post-Game Talk: ECSF Game 2 - Lightning win 4-2 and the series is tied 1-1

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Refs were horrible ...but give them credit, they were horrible in game 1 as well. Hold it....actually for the last 10 years.

Rask was incredible for the most part and to escape 1-1 after the 1st period was nice to see.

The 3rd period was disappointing. We played like we were satisfied by getting the split in Tampa. Too bad. Missed oppurtunity.
Do not like the fact Tampa played physical and we had just Miller and Backes throwing their weight around.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Guys, I'm not going to lie... we're entering Vancouver/Montreal territory on the whining. It's getting bad. Yes, the reffing could have been better, much better but the amount of complaining is actually insane. Especially on the main board.

Lets focus on game 3, and maybe the Bruins will come out a bit better than they did last night.

I think I've complained a dozen times in 40,000 posts. Last night was worth every single complaint IMO, and the worst I have seen since game 5 of our series vs Toronto, which may have been the worst called game ever.until last night. It's been awful this post season.

That being said, I agree 100% with focusing on game 3. It's like crying over spilled milk.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
As the teams head to Boston, here are some positive stats:
  • The Lightning have only defeated the Bruins at TD Garden 6 times in 46 games all-time.
  • Andrei Vasilevskiy has never won at TD Garden.
  • The Bruins are undefeated at home on both Wednesdays and Fridays this season. (*to be fair, it's only a 5 game sample-size.)

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If enough/the right people complain, maybe something will be done about it.....especially if it is intentional. Things certainly won't change if people simply accept it as-is.

And we here don't need to focus on game 3. That's the team's job. This board is literally here for us to complain about last night's game if that is what we want to do. Whether we "move on" today, tomorrow.....or never....has zero effect on the Bruins themselves. If they come out in game 3 better than they did last night, it's not like they're going to credit the hfboards.
Sure. I just don't like reading the same complaints 300 times over.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Thought this was kind of interesting when looking at the Bergy line.

Home - 2.0 G/GP ~ 4.8 A/GP ~ 6.8 PTS/GP
Road - 0.8 G/GP ~ 2.8 A/GP ~ 3.6 PTS/GP

The production on the road has been about half of what it is at home. Getting these guys more favorable match-ups will be HUGE for this team for games 3 and 4.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Boston didn't play a good game -- lots of media talking about that, including Bruins.

Refs? Also, didn't have a good game.

Last night: Pierre Maguire, Mike Milbury, and Jerremy Roenick all ripped them badly on NBC. Cassidy called out the lack of call on Marchand as "unacceptable" -- "an automatic" in his post game.

Today: Crickets...... haven't seen a report on TSN, ESPN, no Twitter comments, etc.

Am I missing it today? Or did Gary Betts institute the ineptitude gag order?

I was just listening to NHL radio (Steve Kouleos I believe) and they discussed it. Kouleos thought it was a good play by Stralman on the Marchand breakaway at first glance. But he said after seeing the reply he thought it should have been a penalty shot. What he was saying is that's what he thinks the ref may have thought as well. They did go over all the other calls as well, but at the end of the day as they say, gotta avoid being those situations to let non-calls affect the outcome.

That said, a day later, I don't feel any different. I didn't expect the B's to sweep them and they were a desperate team playing for their lives last night and it showed. Still think the B's should win this series

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Sure. I just don't like reading the same complaints 300 times over.

But you post the same exact thing about physicality every single game when the B's get behind or lose. Isn't that the same thing? Getting out hit and "out murked" as you call it isn't the reason they lose every single time man.

There are nuances other than being physical to why hockey games are won and lost

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Jeremy is dead on. Not just the Bruins series but all the series.
Breakwawy and a slash on Marchands wrists....either a PP but a penalty shot would be warranted. Nope. Pasta crosschecked from behind....nothing. Get some WWE refs.
That has literally been the only time I can remember agreeing with Roenick, but he was bang on.

You know it's bad when even NBC goes out of their way multiple times, both during the broadcast itself, and on the postgame to rip the officiating.

The officiating as a whole this postseason has been a complete and utter disaster.

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
  • The Lightning have only defeated the Bruins at TD Garden 6 times in 46 games all-time.
  • The Bruins are undefeated at home on both Wednesdays and Fridays this season. (*to be fair, it's only a 5 game sample-size.)

More than liked

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
The officials have to consistent. Calling the Krug penalty sets a standard that they, themselves did not live up to when it mattered the most.

When there is a grade a scoring chance and an infraction is made it must be called.

Regardless of what has happened before and especially when you already set that standard early on.
They did the same thing wit boarding. They did call the boardings earlier in the game (I think the Miller one was weak but okay), but the cross check/boarding on Pasta was also pretty textbook. No way a red missed that.

Look-we all know the Bruins laid a stinker, but Krug’s goal got them a momentum swing and the non call on Marchand and Pasta pretty much sucked the life out of that momentum.

The poor reffing didn’t make the Bruins play bad, but the poor reffing in the third made it difficult for the Bruins to mount a comeback. The bad calls just screwed too much with the attempted come back.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
But you post the same exact thing about physicality every single game when the B's get behind or lose. Isn't that the same thing? Getting out hit and "out murked" as you call it isn't the reason they lose every single time man.

There are nuances other than being physical to why hockey games are won and lost
I understand that, and I'll stop doing that if it's irritating for you guys.

Reactions: Dom - OHL

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
Guys, I'm not going to lie... we're entering Vancouver/Montreal territory on the whining.

No kidding. Only Chara and Rask showed up last night. The first line showed up every other shift, and so did McAvoy, Debrusk and Krug. Everybody else seemed to be waiting for first line magic to happen instead of trying to make magic happen themselves. That is by far the main reason why the Bruins lost last night.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
They did the same thing wit boarding. They did call the boardings earlier in the game (I think the Miller one was weak but okay), but the cross check/boarding on Pasta was also pretty textbook. No way a red missed that.

Look-we all know the Bruins laid a stinker, but Krug’s goal got them a momentum swing and the non call on Marchand and Pasta pretty much sucked the life out of that momentum.

The poor reffing didn’t make the Bruins play bad, but the poor reffing in the third made it difficult for the Bruins to mount a comeback. The bad calls just screwed too much with the attempted come back.

And I hate complaining about officiating because everyone gets bad calls against and for them in sports. But the bolded here is pretty much the story and a legitimate reason for people to complain about the refs. Well said @TCL40!

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I understand that, and I'll stop doing that if it's irritating for you guys.

Shep, I've said this before, I think you're an excellent poster and a passionate fan and I even understand where you're coming from. I would never want you to stop posting here, my apologies for making you feel that way.

Point is we all get antsy and emotional when the B's play especially this time of year and people are gonna vent when they lose

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Shep, I've said this before, I think you're an excellent poster and a passionate fan and I even understand where you're coming from. I would never want you to stop posting here, my apologies for making you feel that way.
No, i don't mean I'll stop posting. I'll just tone it down on the physicality thing. I agree, i can come off as a broken record with that stuff. I just get a bit frustrated sometimes with that stuff, and the lack of it from Boston.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
@DKH, can you weigh in on your avail for Games 3&4?

Reactions: Kate08

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
No, i don't mean I'll stop posting. I'll just tone it down on the physicality thing. I agree, i can come off as a broken record with that stuff. I just get a bit frustrated sometimes with that stuff, and the lack of it from Boston.

It's all good man, we all have our little corners we work from. We all root for the same team and we get crazy sometimes, that's what makes this place so cool to visit (well most of the time :laugh:) Hang in there man, they're gonna take this series!

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I also thought Pastrnak and Marchand took a beating too. Those are your two top forwards getting mangled by the likes of Cedric Pacquette. Seriously, that nerd was running around like crazy and the Bruins did jack **** about it. It's just a matter of time before the likes of Stamkos and Kucherov get loose because they've been given a free pass by the Bruins. I can't remember one significant body contact to either. It's absolutely inexcusable that Boston was pushed around by the Lightning.

Refs magically always have 20/20 vision when it comes to a player retaliating after being hit. I don't know which forward of ours is going to go after CP with a clean hard hit. Backes is too slow, and the 4th line hasn't been banging bodies like they were.

I definitely miss the playoff intensity of a few years ago. Refs used to let scrums just sort themselves out. Now any sort of post whistle jawing/pushing somehow always results in a penalty. Refs don't let anything happen now.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What worries me is Stamkos and Kucherov have yet to get rolling in this series. They’re due for a big game at some point.

Bruins need the Krejci & Riley Nash lines to provide some timely scoring.

I feel the Bruins are the better team here. Also better coached. And Rask the better goalie.

B’s in 6

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
What worries me is Stamkos and Kucherov have yet to get rolling in this series. They’re due for a big game at some point.

Bruins need the Krejci & Riley Nash lines to provide some timely scoring.

I feel the Bruins are the better team here. Also better coached. And Rask the better goalie.

B’s in 6

The good news is Stamkos and Kucherov have been kept in check while still having the matchup advantage. Hopefully Bergeron/Marchand can keep them quiet

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

True. But Matthews was also due. ;)
And Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Iginla, were also due in 2013.

I'm not saying that we will keep Stamkos and Kucherov off the scoresheet for the entire series, but sometimes it's just the way it goes.
We can say the same about our lines 2, 3 and 4.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
After a night of a little sleep....The B's need to come out better. The stripes were so bad in the third that it would be funny except it isn't funny. I was happy to hear some of the guys call out the stripes. They will certainly hear from me tomorrow if they continue to suck at their job.

The B's need to hit Tampa players every chance they get. It seemed like Tampa was pushing the B's around last night and I HATE that.

Brad has pretty much kept his cool even though he gets mauled every shift. His wrist was already hurting from a slash in the Toronto series and than he gets slashed last night with (as usual :thumbd:) NO
CALL.

Pasta must be pissed after sitting 4 min in the box for NOTHING. The Tampa player should have sat for slashing himself :madfire:

Does anyone know if something official can be done about the poor calls (and lack of) ? The NHL HAS to see last night's game and know this shouldn't happen. Anyone know ???

Reactions: JP Nolan

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
On the bright side, McAvoy looks like he's healthier and playing much better this series. Is there any status on Kuraly? He needs to C the 3rd line with Nash struggling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad