Post-Game Talk: ECSF Game 2 - Lightning win 4-2 and the series is tied 1-1

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
You obviously have a hate on for Riley . I am the first to admit he hasn't re=found his game but calling him useless asking for Gionta tells me you have basically always hated him. When Spooner wasn't producing he was useless to us . Riley wasn't useless to us in 16/17 and isn't now . He has a variety of performances some worse than others and even stepped up with bergy out and helped us win a game on line 1. Last night was not his worst . He had one terrible give away that the stats didn't count but did a lot of good things .

The way he's playing right now, he's anchoring that 3rd line.

Put Kuraly back at 3C and either move Riley to 4th line+PK or in the pressbox.

Totally useless right now.

Reactions: xgallantx

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The way he's playing right now, he's anchoring that 3rd line.

Put Kuraly back at 3C and either move Riley to 4th line+PK or in the pressbox.

Totally useless right now.

putting him back to the 4th line might be okay. Riley has not been doing much offensively, but he was good on the PK last night and even when he's "off" he is steady and reliable defensively.

Reactions: bruins repeat time

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Getting out of the zone? Absolutely.

In the offensive zone, they need to go to the net.

I was hoping Rick Nash would follow up on his performance in game 1, he really was very effective around net in addition to scoring those two goals. And I want to see David Backes in there as well.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
putting him back to the 4th line might be okay. Riley has not been doing much offensively, but he was good on the PK last night and even when he's "off" he is steady and reliable defensively.

I could go for this as well clearly he isn't 100% recovered from stopping that puck with his ear. :(

OT Moment

Mar 25, 2014
Maine
The NHL supposedly chooses the best performing regular season refs for the playoffs (though who knows if they really have some guy reffing the refs to determine this). Maybe the refs being bad is the law of averages; so now the "great refs" are making their mistakes in the postseason. It's like a hitter in baseball who hits .375 for a month, makes big news, then balances out and goes on a skid. So if we want really good referees in the playoffs, we need to pick the worst possible ones from the regular season!

bwdrums1

Dec 14, 2017
Just watching highlights of the game, that double-poster by Pasta was the play of the night. Ouch.....truly a game of inches

Reactions: Dr Hook

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
Hell, I ain't mad that they lost last night, Tampa thoroughly outplayed the Bruins and barely beat them. Their first line hasn't done anything in the series so far and if they get production from 1 line I don't see how they win this series. I don't know what Rask was thinking on that second goal, he was clearly caught sliding the wrong way and gave them an open net. And as for the officiating, I don't like to complain about them but good lord, they were horrible last night.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Just watching highlights of the game, that double-poster by Pasta was the play of the night. Ouch.....truly a game of inches

Yeah, we have to remember that as poorly as we played, we were inches from tying and a couple of bad calls away from winning. As agitated as I was after the game, in the cold light of morning I see that we are the better team. Tampa was off Saturday and were blown out. We were off last night and barely lost, and Tampa needed luck and some ref help to seal the deal. I feel better about this series than I did the Toronto one.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I actually found it very encouraging this game ended up so close considering how our team played.

It’s the 2nd round of the playoffs, if you’re going to have constant turnovers and cough up the puck in every battle you won’t get many wins at this stage of the game. 2nd goal was a mess but Rask has been strong in this series and kept them in this one.

And the end of the day, a split on the road is great. I don’t expect to see them looking like that again.

Reactions: sooshii

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Was reffing an issue? Absolutely it was. It was probably the worst officiated game of the post season, I think... and that's really saying something. However, Boston just didn't come to play, like at all.

They were manhandled in the corners all game. Their forwards were coming in and hammering our defense... Krug took an absolute beating last night. You could tell as soon as he got the puck he panicked, causing a few turnovers in dangerous areas, not only in his defensive end, but the offensive zone as well.

I also thought Pastrnak and Marchand took a beating too. Those are your two top forwards getting mangled by the likes of Cedric Pacquette. Seriously, that nerd was running around like crazy and the Bruins did jack shit about it. It's just a matter of time before the likes of Stamkos and Kucherov get loose because they've been given a free pass by the Bruins. I can't remember one significant body contact to either. It's absolutely inexcusable that Boston was pushed around by the Lightning.

Now... another thing that has irritated me. David Backes. He's been putrid this entire post season for the most part. If you're not scoring, at least be engaged in some other area of the game... but he isn't. At all. Riley Nash looks like a shell of himself, and the 4th line is getting dummied.

That said, this Tampa team seems FAR less dangerous than Toronto, which is why I'm a tad frustrated a bit.

Hopefully the garden crowd tomorrow night can inject some energy into the boys. I think they'll take two of these next games.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah, we have to remember that as poorly as we played, we were inches from tying and a couple of bad calls away from winning. As agitated as I was after the game, in the cold light of morning I see that we are the better team. Tampa was off Saturday and were blown out. We were off last night and barely lost, and Tampa needed luck and some ref help to seal the deal. I feel better about this series than I did the Toronto one.

For the unanimous win.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Boston didn't play a good game -- lots of media talking about that, including Bruins.

Refs? Also, didn't have a good game.

Last night: Pierre Maguire, Mike Milbury, and Jerremy Roenick all ripped them badly on NBC. Cassidy called out the lack of call on Marchand as "unacceptable" -- "an automatic" in his post game.

Today: Crickets...... haven't seen a report on TSN, ESPN, no Twitter comments, etc.

Am I missing it today? Or did Gary Betts institute the ineptitude gag order?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Guys, I'm not going to lie... we're entering Vancouver/Montreal territory on the whining. It's getting bad. Yes, the reffing could have been better, much better but the amount of complaining is actually insane. Especially on the main board.

Lets focus on game 3, and maybe the Bruins will come out a bit better than they did last night.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Was reffing an issue? Absolutely it was. It was probably the worst officiated game of the post season, I think... and that's really saying something. However, Boston just didn't come to play, like at all.

They were manhandled in the corners all game. Their forwards were coming in and hammering our defense... Krug took an absolute beating last night. You could tell as soon as he got the puck he panicked, causing a few turnovers in dangerous areas, not only in his defensive end, but the offensive zone as well.

I also thought Pastrnak and Marchand took a beating too. Those are your two top forwards getting mangled by the likes of Cedric Pacquette. Seriously, that nerd was running around like crazy and the Bruins did jack **** about it. It's just a matter of time before the likes of Stamkos and Kucherov get loose because they've been given a free pass by the Bruins. I can't remember one significant body contact to either. It's absolutely inexcusable that Boston was pushed around by the Lightning.

Now... another thing that has irritated me. David Backes. He's been putrid this entire post season for the most part. If you're not scoring, at least be engaged in some other area of the game... but he isn't. At all. Riley Nash looks like a shell of himself, and the 4th line is getting dummied.

That said, this Tampa team seems FAR less dangerous than Toronto, which is why I'm a tad frustrated a bit.

Hopefully the garden crowd tomorrow night can inject some energy into the boys. I think they'll take two of these next games.

The officiating was the biggest issue, and because of that Boston was definitely tentative in the hitting department. We saw Miller get called and Krug get called for two penalties not called on the Lightning for equal or worse renditions.

The defense was certainly passing quicker then they wanted because they knew they were going to get hit. The thing is, we don't have forwards like that. Out of our top two lines, only DeBrusk will throw hits on occasion. Line 3, it's Backes, if he can manage to actually get there. Line 4, Schaller is basically useless other than killing penalties this post season, Kuraly threw 1 hit. Acciari threw 2. We don't have any thumpers, it's just not part of their game anymore. Guys like Marchand and Pasta are going to get hit a lot in the play-offs. We don't have the guys to do it.

My issue with the physicality is our big defense 'coming to the aid" of others and giving a meaningless shove. Again, the penalty threshold may be holding them back, I don't know, but they are certainly not taking advantage of play-off hockey in front.

Another thing, just like Kadri and Hyman, the Lightning are all talk and zero action. They were tough with Krug and Gryz. The Lightning forwards are the biggest collection of cherries since the 2011 Canucks. They play tough because they know they can slightly push the envelope and they know they will suffer zero repercussions. None.

The end of the game bothered me. 54 and 86 were both out there 30 seconds left. I expected some sort of scrum, or "conversation" with Paquette and what I could was a team that couldn't wait to get out of there and onto the bus. Minor, I know, but it pissed me off.

Reactions: mg08

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Guys, I'm not going to lie... we're entering Vancouver/Montreal territory on the whining. It's getting bad. Yes, the reffing could have been better, much better but the amount of complaining is actually insane. Especially on the main board.

Lets focus on game 3, and maybe the Bruins will come out a bit better than they did last night.

It’s getting bad. For all the laughs i had after Toronto fans cried about game 6, which they won, it was almost as bad here after game 1 this round. Then i see a “these refs suck rabble rabble” thread started by what appears to be a Bruins fan on the playoff board. It’s a real bad look.

Bruins get the short end of the stick sometimes. Other times they fail to do anything with nearly two minutes of a 5 on 3. Tampa beat the bag out of Boston last night in the hitting department. Marchand and Pastrnak spent half the game trying to stand back up. Turnovers by Boston were brutal in game 2. Most of them unforced. Drop passes to invisible men. Touch passes to Tampa Bay. Marchand assisted in a Tampa Bay goal somehow. It was a bad night. They desperately need to cut the fancy shit out of their game plan for tomorrow night. I expect they will.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Refs were trash but we deserved to lose. The two goals we got were as far as I remember the only two real scoring chances we had all game. Just terrible. Vasiwhatchamacallit had the easiest game of his life.

Rask made it seem closer than it was. Just a poor effort.

Still glad we got the split. Now stick the dagger in them in Boston!

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

If enough/the right people complain, maybe something will be done about it.....especially if it is intentional. Things certainly won't change if people simply accept it as-is.

And we here don't need to focus on game 3. That's the team's job. This board is literally here for us to complain about last night's game if that is what we want to do. Whether we "move on" today, tomorrow.....or never....has zero effect on the Bruins themselves. If they come out in game 3 better than they did last night, it's not like they're going to credit the hfboards.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
After watching last nights game I actually feel better about this match-up. Tampa came out hard and brought their A game, Boston on the other hand probably played a C game. So that topped with some unfortunate calls/no calls and we still nearly won. We'll get the match-ups we want for the next two games and should be in good shape.

Rask looked solid last night and we've still held Tampa's #1 line in check for two games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad