Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Right shot is nothing special for us anymore, at defence, when we have Seider and Hronek. There's no need. It would be fine to add extra, like always.

More interested about those LhDs, currently.

Think we'll draft LhD. Power, Lambos, Edvinsson, Hughes. That the most probable guy.

Don't be surprised that if 2 of Wallinder, Johansson and McIsaac develop on the left side that we'd trade Hronek to help plug a hole at forward or goalie. That is, IF we draft someone like Clarke. We're going to have a prospect logjam in 3 years time on defense.

Either way, we're in good shape on defense for the 2021 draft. Anywhere we land in the top 10 in next year's draft we could end with a potential top pair defenseman.

Clarke is the kind of guy that has the potential to be the next Brian Leetch or EK53 with his skating and puckhandling skills.
Owen Power has the potential to be a Victor Hedman, perennial norris contender, all situations DMan.
Edvinsson's game reminds me a lot of Dahlin's during his draft year.
Luke Hughes is the biggest Hughes brother so I think in the long run he'll hold up better than his brothers. Not as offensively gifted as Quinn, but I think he'll make up for it by being better in his own zone and better in transition rather than just skating it out.
And I'm pretty sure that Carson Lambos could bench press a mid size car. The kid is a f***ing beast at 17.

Last edited:

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Don't be surprised that if 2 of Wallinder, Johansson and McIsaac develop on the left side develop that we'd trade Hronek to help plug a hole at forward or goalie. That is, IF we draft someone like Clarke. We're going to have a prospect logjam in 3 years time on defense.

Either way, we're in good shape on defense for the 2021 draft. Anywhere we land in the top 10 in next year's draft we could end with a potential top pair defenseman.

Clarke is the kind of guy that has the potential to be the next Brian Leetch or EK53 with his skating and puckhandling skills.
Owen Power has the potential to be a Victor Hedman, perennial norris contender, all situations DMan.
Edvinsson's game reminds me a lot of Dahlin's during his draft year.
Luke Hughes is the biggest Hughes brother so I think in the long run he'll hold up better than his brothers. Not as offensively gifted as Quinn, but I think he'll make up for it by being better in his own zone and better in transition rather than just skating it out.
And I'm pretty sure that Carson Lambos could bench press a mid size car. The kid is a f***ing beast at 17.
Beyond hyped for the defensemen prospects in the 2021 draft.

I know its not right to draft based on need, but these next 2 drafts sure are going to align with our needs and provide us with top overall talent. Attaining a top pairing LD in the 2021 draft and then a top 1-2 Center in the 2022 draft sure speeds up our rebuild process.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Beyond hyped for the defensemen prospects in the 2021 draft.

I know its not right to draft based on need, but these next 2 drafts sure are going to align with our needs and provide us with top overall talent. Attaining a top pairing LD in the 2021 draft and then a top 1-2 Center in the 2022 draft sure speeds up our rebuild process.

Honestly, I don't care if they're right or left pairing. Any upgrade is welcomed.

Seider runs one pair for 23-25 minutes a night.
Power/Lambos/Clarke run another pair for 23-25 minutes a night.

That's how you can shelter your mediocre 5th and 6th defensemen; limit their exposure and icetime by having those two top defensemen. 45+ minutes a night of great defensemen is how we tilted the ice during our championship days.

Reactions: odin1981 and Henkka

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I'm not a Red Wings fan per se, but I stumbled across this thread and found the consensus rankings put together by @Henkka to be very interesting. A couple rankings that stood out to me were Cole Sillinger and Zach Dean. Pretty surprised that the highest ranking for Sillinger was 10 (he's top 5 for me) and while I can understand why Dean may have dropped a bit over the past month due to his injury, having him outside the first round is just crazy to me (he's inside my top 10). Also surprised to see James Malatesta outside the top 40; I suspect that should change soon enough.

Very interested to see how these rankings evolve throughout the season. Keep up the good work!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not a Red Wings fan per se, but I stumbled across this thread and found the consensus rankings put together by @Henkka to be very interesting. A couple rankings that stood out to me were Cole Sillinger and Zach Dean. Pretty surprised that the highest ranking for Sillinger was 10 (he's top 5 for me) and while I can understand why Dean may have dropped a bit over the past month due to his injury, having him outside the first round is just crazy to me (he's inside my top 10). Also surprised to see James Malatesta outside the top 40; I suspect that should change soon enough.

Very interested to see how these rankings evolve throughout the season. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, and I will add other ranks on the average, as they are published. and heavily weigh the latest ranks, so old values should have smaller and smaller weight in the rank as time goes by.

Reactions: Haanz

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Yeah, and I will add other ranks on the average, as they are published. and heavily weigh the latest ranks, so old values should have smaller and smaller weight in the rank as time goes by.

Good stuff. I will definitely be checking back in.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know if Cap't Power is < than a power Ranger,
I think a #5 Rangers jersey with the name "Power" on the back would be a all-time favorite
#5 for the Rangers is not retired and is available currently. Last player to wear it was Dan Girardi.

We all know Bettman will rig the lottery for NY, they'll get Power with the second or third pick overall.

Meanwhile, I think we draft 6th again. This team will somehow figure out a way not to finish last, though I have no idea which team could possibly suck worse. We have 2 3rd lines and 2 3rd pair D with no real top pair.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
#5 for the Rangers is not retired and is available currently. Last player to wear it was Dan Girardi.

We all know Bettman will rig the lottery for NY, they'll get Power with the second or third pick overall.

Meanwhile, I think we draft 6th again. This team will somehow figure out a way not to finish last, though I have no idea which team could possibly suck worse. We have 2 3rd lines and 2 3rd pair D with no real top pair.
Bettman may not supervise the next lottery, or so I've heard

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Slightly off topic but what does a healthy and playing well Dekeyser fetch us? I know the expansion draft makes it tricky, but he’s a piece that I would love to move for picks

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Slightly off topic but what does a healthy and playing well Dekeyser fetch us? I know the expansion draft makes it tricky, but he’s a piece that I would love to move for picks

Probably not enough to make it worth us losing a relatively stable defenseman for the kids to develop with during the rebuild. I’m not a big fan of Dekeyser but he’s probably our best stabilizing force on the back-end right now. Not to mention, too many teams are cash strapped right now so we’d have to eat some of his cap. Plus the market looks soft on defenseman right now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is Seattle participating in this draft?

Yes. Expansion draft is at first, and week after is NHL entry draft.

Think Seattle will have 3rd worst "record" like Vegas had 2017. They did drop 3 positions to 6th overall, when all lottery winners (NJD, PHI , DAL) came behind them.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Was a huge fan of Mike Sillinger in Detroit, so I’ve been following Cole a bit.

Kid has great hands and a quick hard release on his shot. He definitely has the skating prowess for the pro game. From what I’ve seen he has no problem creating his own offense. Not sure if all of his ‘extra skill plays’ will work against pro D men. But an exciting prospect.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
i was thinking how pointless it is to look at the next draft already, but i went thru early looks from last year of the 2020 draft and theyre surprisingly accurate, for the top 10 at least

Tryamkin's Way Too Early Top 50 2020 Draft Rankings

Early Dobber 2020 Top 31 NHL Draft Rankings & Scouting Reports

2020 NHL Draft - Early Rankings and Scouting Reports LWOH

Stutzle was ranked 19th, 12th and 10th. This happens all the time some guy outside of the top 10 moves into the top 3. Hischier was the same.way.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
#3 overall in LOTTERY percentages.

Could fall 1-2-3 spots, like Vegas did to #6 overall.
Best Seattle can hope for is that Detroit finishes somewhere ahead of them (worse record, better draft pick). Guaranteed they'll move up if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad