Music: Each Band's/Artist's Most Iconic Song

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Honestly, I don't really have an argument against 'Black Hole Sun' (as their best). It's a great (iconic) track, that seems universally liked.
But I personally liked both 'Rusty Cage' & 'Ugly Truth' more.. 'Gun' was another killer track.. Black Hole Sun would probably be their consensus best tho..

Fell on black days, superunknown and burden in my hand are good tracks too.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Tool
Eulogy?

Sober, Schism or Stinkfist would probably be more recognizable

I always had a soft spot for right in two

Honestly, I don't really have an argument against 'Black Hole Sun' (as their best). It's a great (iconic) track, that seems universally liked.
But I personally liked both 'Rusty Cage' & 'Ugly Truth' more.. 'Gun' was another killer track.. Black Hole Sun would probably be their consensus best tho..

Pretty noose would be my personal favorite but black hole son is the most iconic track I'd imagine

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Satisfaction is really the only answer. It put them on the map and was their first #1 in the US.

Paint It Black (which also went #1, one of several in the mid-60s after Satisfaction) and Gimme Shelter are obviously essential Stones but I think they're elevated a little because of their inclusion in so many recent movies, TV shows, etc. I'd put them both behind Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Jumpin' Jack Flash and maybe Sympathy for the Devil if we're ranking them by how "iconic" they are.
I don't really care for discussions about what's iconic rather than what's good, but wouldn't its over-use in modern media be considered part of what makes it iconic, and not something that it can be misleadingly elevated by?

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
I don't really care for discussions about what's iconic rather than what's good, but wouldn't its over-use in modern media be considered part of what makes it iconic, and not something that it can be misleadingly elevated by?

Maybe in part, but usually soundtracks are chosen based on how they fit into into the movie or show’s mood/theme/story. “Gimme Shelter” and “Paint It Black” are two of the darker Stones songs, so they’re well suited for the war and gangster movies where they’ve been used ad nauseum. They’re both great songs but neither was ever as popular as Satisfaction was in 1965, and neither encapsulates the band’s style in the same way.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Pretty noose would be my personal favorite but black hole son is the most iconic track I'd imagine

Pretty Noose was a good single, & great open to 'Down on the Upside'.. I really liked 'Boot Camp' off that album, which I thought was subtle & underrated.

This is a sidebar, but if I was picking my favorite Cornell track (between his different bands, solo stuff, & collaborations).. it would be 'Hunger Strike'. Still love that f*cking song..

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Pretty Noose was a good single, & great open to 'Down on the Upside'.. I really liked 'Boot Camp' off that album, which I thought was subtle & underrated.

This is a sidebar, but if I was picking my favorite Cornell track (between his different bands, solo stuff, & collaborations).. it would be 'Hunger Strike'. Still love that f*cking song..

Cornell and Vedder sound amazing on that track, one of the best singing collaborations you will listen to

That Soundgarden album definitely wasn't venerated like the self titled album but it was solid, I loved blow up the outside world on that album as well

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Pretty much every track off of White Light White Heat is brilliant, IMO.

I need to listen to Sister Ray again but considering how musically gifted every member of the VU was, I often find myself going to lyrics as some sort of odd tiebreaker. I just find the lyrics Lady Godiva's Operation so impeccably written. They're in a class of their own in terms of rock lyrics (just as the VU are in terms of music lyrics) and I think the song's lyrics rival the very best of literary short stories.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I need to listen to Sister Ray again but considering how musically gifted every member of the VU was, I often find myself going to lyrics as some sort of odd tiebreaker. I just find the lyrics Lady Godiva's Operation so impeccably written. They're in a class of their own in terms of rock lyrics (just as the VU are in terms of music lyrics) and I think the song's lyrics rival the very best of literary short stories.
Yeah. I think I like the Gift more than other music fans seem to, as well, particularly the instrumental that goes with it.
Maybe in part, but usually soundtracks are chosen based on how they fit into into the movie or show’s mood/theme/story. “Gimme Shelter” and “Paint It Black” are two of the darker Stones songs, so they’re well suited for the war and gangster movies where they’ve been used ad nauseum. They’re both great songs but neither was ever as popular as Satisfaction was in 1965, and neither encapsulates the band’s style in the same way.
Satisfaction is more historically tied to the band for sure, but I think I would attribute Gimme Shelter's prevalence over other songs in modern media to more than just the convenience of its themes. It seems like there's just something that people find inherently satisfying and timeless about the opening aesthetic of that song (more-so than Satisfaction), and that seems inextricably tied to its iconic-ness to me, at least in terms of how people of them today.

(For the record, I'm just saying that as an impartial outsider observation rather than because I have some personal preference or something-- I'm not a big Stones fan either way)

Last edited:

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Satisfaction is more historically tied to the band for sure, but I think I would attribute Gimme Shelter's prevalence over other songs in modern media to more than just the convenience of its themes. It seems like there's just something that people find inherently satisfying and timeless about the opening aesthetic of that song (more-so than Satisfaction), and that seems inextricably tied to its iconic-ness to me, at least in terms of how people of them today.

(For the record, I'm just saying that as an impartial outsider observation rather than because I have some personal preference or something-- I'm not a big Stones fan either way)

It's definitely one of their best, most well-constructed songs.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Gimme Shelter is the Stones best song, but I'm not sure it's as iconic as Satisfaction, which is the song that set the band's legend.

A few more:
Alice Cooper - School's Out
Otis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
James Brown - I Feel Good
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
Neil Young - Heart of Gold
The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Randomly commenting on some names that were dropped :

Weezer : It's really Buddy Holly. Darkhorse candidate amongst die hards fans could be Across The Sea.

Iron Maiden : Number of the Beast, followed closely by Run To The Hills. The ultimate fan favorite is probably Hallowed Be Thy Name

Pearl Jam : In the mainstream, Jeremy. I don't think there's any dispute here, and somewhat thanks to a great video. As far as I'm really concerned (and that's based on the few friend of mines who are huge Pearl Jam fans, while I mostly just like them, their most iconic song would be Yellow Ledbetter, a last-minute cut from Ten who ended up on their B-Side compilation). And frankly, I tend to agree with them.

Soundgarden : Again, amongst the general public, it's Black Hole Sun. Amongst fans (and known songs), I'd say Jesus Christ Pose. If you stretch it to more obscure songs (read, non-singles) : 4th of July.

Elton John : Can you feel the love tonight.

STP : Plush (this is a no brainer to me), and I don't think the other ones who have a claim would be on Core (Sour Girl and Interstate Love Song).

Incubus : NONE. Too big of a stylistic shift to have an iconic song as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Incubus : NONE. Too big of a stylistic shift to have an iconic song as far as I'm concerned.

This is a tough one to nail down for the reason you mentioned. I'd guess "Wish You Were Here" is probably their most famous among mainstream rock fans. "Pardon Me" seems to be most iconic about the band's more serious fans.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This is a tough one to nail down for the reason you mentioned. I'd guess "Wish You Were Here" is probably their most famous among mainstream rock fans. "Pardon Me" seems to be most iconic about the band's more serious fans.

Drive and Megalomaniac are pretty well known as well, but the first is an acoustic ballad, so...

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
KISS - Rock and Roll All Nite

Van Halen - Jump

Judas Priest - You've got another thing coming. Breaking the Law is another good choice.

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus. Although a good argument could be made for Enjoy the Silence.

Journey - Don't Stop Believin'

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Metallica - Enter Sandman

Gun N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine. I'm sick of this song, but this is the right answer.

Electric 6 - Danger! High Voltage

Ratt - Round and Round

Aerosmith - Walk this Way

Foreigner - I want to know what love is

Boston - More than a Feeling

NIN - Closer

RATM - Killing in the Name of

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Randomly commenting on some names that were dropped :

Weezer : It's really Buddy Holly. Darkhorse candidate amongst die hards fans could be Across The Sea.

Iron Maiden : Number of the Beast, followed closely by Run To The Hills. The ultimate fan favorite is probably Hallowed Be Thy Name

Pearl Jam : In the mainstream, Jeremy. I don't think there's any dispute here, and somewhat thanks to a great video. As far as I'm really concerned (and that's based on the few friend of mines who are huge Pearl Jam fans, while I mostly just like them, their most iconic song would be Yellow Ledbetter, a last-minute cut from Ten who ended up on their B-Side compilation). And frankly, I tend to agree with them.

Soundgarden : Again, amongst the general public, it's Black Hole Sun. Amongst fans (and known songs), I'd say Jesus Christ Pose. If you stretch it to more obscure songs (read, non-singles) : 4th of July.

Elton John : Can you feel the love tonight.

STP : Plush (this is a no brainer to me), and I don't think the other ones who have a claim would be on Core (Sour Girl and Interstate Love Song).

There is a least a discussion between Jeremy and Alive, no?

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
In my memory, "Even Flow" was as big as either of those, but "Jeremy" ultimately got the most attention because of the video.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Agree with the sentiment above

Jeremy is #1, but Alive, Even Flow, and Black could all be considered #2, though I'd probably put Black 4th out of those 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad