Music: Each Band's/Artist's Most Iconic Song

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Seems like Enter Sandman was the consensus Metallica song, but I think Nothing Else Matters may actually be the right answer...

Nothing Else Matters has over a billion views on YouTube... which is twice the number of Enter Sandman

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Blink 182 - what's my age again
New found glory - my friends over you
Fall out boy - sugar we're going down
Rancid - ruby soho
Green day - basket case
Mxpx - chick magnet
All American rejects - move along
The used - taste of ink
AFI - miss murder
A day to remember - the dow fall of us all
Taking back Sunday - makedamnsure
My chemical romance - I'm not okay
Goldinger - here in your bedroom
Reel big fish - sell out

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Seems like Enter Sandman was the consensus Metallica song, but I think Nothing Else Matters may actually be the right answer...

Nothing Else Matters has over a billion views on YouTube... which is twice the number of Enter Sandman+

Good point.. I think Sandman was initially more important tho, because of how vital it was in selling the Black album. The Sandman video played over & over, introducing/converting new Metallica fans.
The video for One did the same thing a few years earlier, but it didn't get over as well as Sandman, which I remember firsthand, Mtv played over & over one summer..

If it hasn't been mentioned, I'll add 'Mother' for iconic Danzig song. He had been writing great music (largely underappreciated) for 15 years, and this was another song Mtv suddenly helped get in to a wide audience.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Rancid - ruby soho
Green day - basket case
Mxpx - chick magnet
The used - taste of ink
AFI - miss murder
Reel big fish - sell out

Green Day's an interesting one...

I would've thought Good Riddance had taken the top spot, but I think reasonable case could be made for a number of their tunes

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
People seem to confuse the band's most iconic songs and their personal favorites. Usually the former is the song that received the most airplay.

The below list is the bands with their most famous numbers, even though none are my personal favorites by them:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Judas Priest - Breaking the Law
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
Accept - Balls to the Wall
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Queensryche - Silent Lucidity
Helloween - I Want Out
Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Dio - Rainbow in the Dark

AC/DC - the trio of BiB, HB, and YSMANL.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
People seem to confuse the band's most iconic songs and their personal favorites. Usually the former is the song that received the most airplay.

The below list is the bands with their most famous numbers, even though none are my personal favorites by them:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Judas Priest - Breaking the Law
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
Accept - Balls to the Wall
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
Queensryche - Silent Lucidity
Helloween - I Want Out
Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Dio - Rainbow in the Dark

AC/DC - the trio of BiB, HB, and YSMANL.

The Scorpions' most iconic song is Wind Of Change...

The official video for the song on the band's YouTube page is approaching a billion views

Reactions: Chili

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Rancid - ruby soho
Green day - basket case
Mxpx - chick magnet
The used - taste of ink
AFI - miss murder
Reel big fish - sell out

Goldfinger is 'Superman' AINEC, and MCR is Black Parade

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Source? Link?
RYLaH came out in 1984 when this type of music was at its peak in the US. Love at First Sting went triple platinum.
WoC came out in 1990 when hair metal already started slowing down. Crazy World went double platinum.

RYLaH has six years of continuous air and videoplay on WoC. In the 90s I listened to rock radio every day (WRIF, WLLZ, and WZRK). RYLaH was the most popular Scorpions song, followed by "Still Loving You," "No One Like You," "Wind of Change," and "The Zoo."

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
RYLaH came out in 1984 when this type of music was at its peak in the US. Love at First Sting went triple platinum.
WoC came out in 1990 when hair metal already started slow down. Crazy World went double platinum.

RYLaH has six years of continuous air and videoplay on WoC. In the 90s I listened to rock radio every day (WRIF, WLLZ, and WZRK). RYLaH was the most popular Scorpions song, followed by "Still Loving You," "No One Like You," "Wind of Change," and "The Zoo."

Maybe you missed the part where the official video to Wind Of Change on the band's YouTube page is nearing 1 billion views

The official video to Rock You Like A Hurricane has 31 million... the official audio video has 51 million

From Wikipedia:
With estimated sales of 14 million copies sold worldwide, "Wind of Change" is one of the best-selling singles of all time. It holds the record for the best-selling single by a German artist.

I had never heard of, or had ever listened to, Still Loving You until just now...

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Maybe you missed the part where the official video to Wind Of Change on the band's YouTube page is nearing 1 billion views

The official video to Rock You Like A Hurricane has 31 million... the official audio video has 51 million

From Wikipedia:
With estimated sales of 14 million copies sold worldwide, "Wind of Change" is one of the best-selling singles of all time. It holds the record for the best-selling single by a German artist.

I had never heard of, or had ever listened to, Still Loving You until just now...
I don't know where you're from but if you have not heard SLY, you did not listen to American radio in the 80s and 90s, period.

YouTube is not the be-all-end-all. It was created in this millennium, long after these songs made their impact. And, unless you provide the breakdown of viewers by country, it will not disprove my assertion that RYLaH was more iconic in the USA, while Wind of Change -- in Europe.

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" has 686M YouTube views
"Come Together" has 94M YouTube views

Which one is more iconic?

Reactions: I am not exposed

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Guess Who: American Woman.
Neil Young: Heart of Gold
Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read my Mind
Elton John: Tiny Dancer or Rocket Man
The Beatles: Hey Jude or Yesterday
Stones: Sympathy for the Devil or Satisfaction
Bowie: Heroes
Marvin Gaye: What’s Going On or I Heard It Through the Grapevine or Let’s Get it On. I think probably Grapevine.
Mamas and Papas: California Dreaming
Eagles: Hotel California followed by Peaceful Easy Feeling
The Band: The Weight
Van Morrison: Brown Eyed Girl
Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone
Beach Boys: Good Vibrations followed by California Girls

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face
Ozzy - Crazy Train
Slayer - Raining Blood
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Pantera - Walk
Alice In Chains - Would
Motörhead - Ace Of Spades

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own. Commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a *big boost*. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't know where you're from but if you have not heard SLY, you did not listen to American radio in the 80s and 90s, period.

YouTube is not the be-all-end-all. It was created in this millennium, long after these songs made their impact. And, unless you provide the breakdown of viewers by country, it will not disprove my assertion that RYLaH was more iconic in the USA, while Wind of Change -- in Europe.

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" has 686M YouTube views
"Come Together" has 94M YouTube views

Which one is more iconic?

You're the only one bringing up geography... I don't think anyone else considers it relevant

Hit Me Baby One More Time is certainly more iconic than Come Together...

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own. Commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a *big boost*. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

I would've thought it was Power Of Love...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Thank you, we are done.

Save the drama for your mama...

The Beatles are my favorite band... but in terms of popularity, cultural impact, sales, etc... Come Together simply isn't on the same level as "...Baby One More Time"

From Wikipedia:
Released on September 28, 1998, by Jive Records, the song became a worldwide hit, topping the charts in at least 22 countries, including the United Kingdom, where it earned triple-platinum certification from the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and was the country's best-selling single of 1999.

The song is one of the best-selling singles of all time, with over ten million copies sold.

In 2020, Rolling Stone ranked the song at number one on a list of the 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time.

In 2011, "...Baby One More Time" was voted by Billboard to be the best music video of the 1990s.

"....Baby One More Time" was listed at number twenty five in the greatest pop songs since 1963, in a list compiled by Rolling Stone and MTV in 2000.

Blender listed it at number nine in the 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born.

The song was also listed as the 2nd best song of the 1990s by VH1 and in a listing compiled in 2003, ranked at number one in 100 Best Songs of the Past 25 Years.

Bill Lamb of About.com ranked "...Baby One More Time" at number one on a compiled list with the Top 40 Pop Songs Of All Time.

The music video was voted the third most influential promo in the history of pop music on a poll held by Jam!

You're welcome

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Alanis Morrissette - Iconic... err, I mean... Ironic

Sarah McLachlan is a tough one... cases could be made for Building A Mystery, Angel, and I Will Remember You

Shania Twain is another tough one... You're Still The One, Man! I Feel Like A Woman, That Don't Impress Me Much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad