Weezer
Say It Ain't So

While others not so much:

Aerosmith
Dream On or Sweet Emotion?

The Guess Who
American Woman or These Eyes?

The Beatles
Yesterday? Hey Jude? Let It Be? I Want To Hold Your Hand?

The Beach Boys
Good Vibrations? I Get Around? California Girls? God Only Knows?

Queen
Bohemian Rhapsody or We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions?

Last edited:
Reactions: SirClintonPortis

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Metallica
Enter Sandman

Green Day
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

Jimi Hendrix
Purple Haze

John Lennon
Imagine

Michael Jackson
Billie Jean

The Eagles
Hotel California

Bruce Springsteen
Born To Run

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
cool thread..

My opinion, not Soundgarden's best track, but their biggest: Black Hole Sun.

Reactions: Neutrinos

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some are obvious:

Weezer
Say It Ain't So

While I would be inclined to agree, a lot of folks associate Buddy Holly more strongly with Weezer.

Neutrinos said:
Queen
Bohemian Rhapsody or We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions?

I would have said We Are The Champions until the movie Wayne's World.

Neutrinos said:
Aerosmith
Dream On or Sweet Emotion?

Sweet Emotion.

I'd say something like Cryin' or Walk This Way might have a shot but probably not.

The former because of the similar sounding Crazy and Amazing and the latter because of the association with Run DMC.

A lot of younger people I know don't even recognize that Dream On is Aerosmith.

Neutrinos said:
The Guess Who
American Woman or These Eyes?

American Woman is pretty obvious I think.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
While I would be inclined to agree, a lot of folks associate Buddy Holly more strongly with Weezer.

I would have said We Are The Champions until the movie Wayne's World.

Sweet Emotion.

A lot of younger people I know don't even recognize that Dream On is Aerosmith.

American Woman is pretty obvious I think.

I think Say It Ain't So reached a level that Buddy Holly simply didn't

On Weezer's official YouTube channel, Say It Ain't So has been viewed 89 million times, Buddy Holly 47 million

Exactly how many younger people do you know? Unless it's in the hundreds of thousands, I'm not sure it can be used as a sound argument

On Aerosmith's official YouTube channel, Sweet Emotion has been viewed 23 million times, while Dream On has 22 million

Aersosmith's Crazy video has been viewed 498 million times! So maybe that's the right answer?

I'd lean towards American Woman as well

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Wait, really??? I'm sure you've heard it before. Its pretty damn popular and a staple of his.

Nope, had never heard it before today

I went and checked it out on YouTube before I responded to your earlier comment

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

On Weezer's official YouTube channel, Say It Ain't So has been viewed 89 million times, Buddy Holly 47 million

Exactly how many younger people do you know? Unless it's in the hundreds of thousands, I'm not sure it can be used as a sound argument

On Aerosmith's official YouTube channel, Sweet Emotion has been viewed 23 million times, while Dream On has 22 million

Aersosmith's Crazy video has been viewed 498 million times! So maybe that's the right answer?

I would caution on using youtube views as a point of reference of how popular these older songs are/were.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not so sure about that

Wish You Were Here, Comfortable Numb, and Another Brick In The Wall would all be contenders

The reason why I would say that it is would be because it was their first US hit on their most successful album that was the peak of the band's creativity.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The reason why I would say that it is would be because it was their first US hit on their most successful album that was the peak of the band's creativity.

I think the peak of the band's creativity came well after that but that's just me. To me there's really no competition for their most iconic song; it's Comfortably Numb. That guitar solo man.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the peak of the band's creativity came well after that but that's just me. To me there's really no competition for their most iconic song; it's Comfortably Numb. That guitar solo man.

Everything past Dark Side of the Moon became more and more of a Roger Waters band rather than the band. Comfortably Numb is a hell of a song but the band's greatest success is Dark Side of the Moon and Money was its biggest hit. I feel iconic songs tend to go to what is the most successful. Money is what made the band as big as they were.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Everything past Dark Side of the Moon became more and more of a Roger Waters band rather than the band. Comfortably Numb is a hell of a song but the band's greatest success is Dark Side of the Moon and Money was its biggest hit. I feel iconic songs tend to go to what is the most successful. Money is what made the band as big as they were.

Funnily enough, IMO the Roger Waters dominated Floyd was the peak of the band's (if you at that point want to call it that) creativity. When people talk about Floyd's greatest songs, I've noticed Money rarely comes up in the discussion. It was one of the band's biggest hits but it's not necessarily a defining Floyd song per se, which I think the word "iconic" strongly refers to.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

People don’t watch the Crazy video for Aerosmith.

Reactions: 18Hossa

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Funnily enough, IMO the Roger Waters dominated Floyd was the peak of the band's (if you at that point want to call it that) creativity. When people talk about Floyd's greatest songs, I've noticed Money rarely comes up in the discussion. It was one of the band's biggest hits but it's not necessarily a defining Floyd song per se, which I think the word "iconic" strongly refers to.

I don't see a good argument to say that Money isn't a defining Floyd song considering that it's the song that got them big in the states, is their biggest hit on their most successful album by a long shot, and is an incredibly creative piece of music. Money is the reason why they went from big to superstar big and one of the best of all time. They followed it up with some great pieces of music and even if those songs can be argued as most popular, Money is their biggest claim to fame and success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->