Music: Each Band's/Artist's Most Iconic Song

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
What the..?
One, Sanitarium, Fade to Black, Whiplash...etc. So mamy to choose from.
Let me start off by saying I'm a big Metallica fan who's favorite song is Fade To Black (just look at my username). I think we have different thinking when it comes to this thread. When I think of a bands most "iconic" song, I think of a song that reaches the masses. Not necessarily their best song. You can't possibly compare Whiplash to Enter Sandman in that regard. Enter Sandman skyrocketed the band to the mainstream (along with the rest of that album). Casual music fans will recognize Enter Sandman. You can't say the same with the others you mentioned.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Iron Maiden-im not sure because they have so many great iconic tunes..The Trooper? 2 Minutes to Midnight? Run to The Hills? My personal pick for most iconic song would be Hallowed Be Thy Name followed very closely by Rime of the Ancient Mariner.Judas Priest i guess Breaking the Law(although not my personal choice..) Black Sabbath is another 1 hard to pick
For Maiden I'd take Number of the Beast or The Trooper or Aces High.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I will always love you
Smells like teen spirit
Imagine - solo career not with what's their name band?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Let me start off by saying I'm a big Metallica fan who's favorite song is Fade To Black (just look at my username). I think we have different thinking when it comes to this thread. When I think of a bands most "iconic" song, I think of a song that reaches the masses. Not necessarily their best song. You can't possibly compare Whiplash to Enter Sandman in that regard. Enter Sandman skyrocketed the band to the mainstream (along with the rest of that album). Casual music fans will recognize Enter Sandman. You can't say the same with the others you mentioned.
Fair enough. I agree with that. Although I always thought that One was the song that made them accessible. Not to the degree of the Black Album, though.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
  • Iron Maiden - I'd guess that among metal heads, "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is probably the most famous, but among mainstream rock fans, the shorter, catchier "Run To The Hills" is probably their most well-known.
  • Judas Priest - agreed, Breaking the Law is probably the most well-known.
  • Black Sabbath - probably Iron Man thanks to that famous riff.
  • Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
  • Slayer - Raining Blood
  • Motoread - Ace of Spades
  • Megadeth - Peace Sells But Who's Buying?
  • Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town
  • Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
  • Rush - probably Tom Sawyer?
  • Yes - Roundabout
  • King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
  • Jethro Tull - probably Aqualung
For Megadeth it has to be Symphony of Destruction, no?

Reactions: The Godfather

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rolling stones- Gimme Shelter

Tool-Schism

Metallica-One

Pearl Jam-Black

At the Drive in-One armed scissor

Pink Floyd-comfortably Numb

Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit

Alice In Chains-Rooster

Soundgarden-Black hole son

Motley Crue-Dr Feelgood

Guns N Roses-Welcome to the Jungle

Motorhead-Ace of spades

Pixies-Where is my mind

Stone Temple Pilots-Creep

Those are the songs I identify those bands with, even though they are by no means my favourite songs by those bands

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Rolling stones- Gimme Shelter

Tool-Schism

Metallica-One

Pearl Jam-Black

At the Drive in-One armed scissor

Pink Floyd-comfortably Numb

Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit

Alice In Chains-Rooster

Soundgarden-Black hole son

Motley Crue-Dr Feelgood

Guns N Roses-Welcome to the Jungle

Motorhead-Ace of spades

Pixies-Where is my mind

Stone Temple Pilots-Creep

Those are the songs I identify those bands with, even though they are by no means my favourite songs by those bands
Countering with Plush for STP

Hard to choose with Metallica between One and Enter Sandman, but I think Enter Sandman is more iconic.

Sweet Child O'Mine probably beats WTJ for GNR.

I also think more people think of Man in the Box for Alice in Chains.

When I think of this exercise it's the first song that comes to mind when I think of the band.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Countering with Plush for STP

Hard to choose with Metallica between One and Enter Sandman, but I think Enter Sandman is more iconic.

Sweet Child O'Mine probably beats WTJ for GNR.

I also think more people think of Man in the Box for Alice in Chains.

When I think of this exercise it's the first song that comes to mind when I think of the band.

It's pretty subjective but the songs I listed were either played on an endless loop on rock radio or won polls on best rock song in New Zealand

It's a fun exercise, brought back some memories

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Tool was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I think their most iconic song is Prison Sex.

(original) Misfits: I choose Last Caress.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Lynard Skynard
Sweet Home Alabama or Free Bird?

I'm leaning towards Sweet Home Alabama on this one but I can see a case for either tbh

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Lynard Skynard
Sweet Home Alabama or Free Bird?

I'm leaning towards Sweet Home Alabama on this one but I can see a case for either tbh
I would think Freebird,but more casual fans would probably know Sweet Home Alabama better.Not to mention Freebird probably didnt get a quarter of the radio and t.v play S.H.A did because of the length of it.It's a tough call,personally i would pick Freebird

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I would think Freebird,but more casual fans would probably know Sweet Home Alabama better.Not to mention Freebird probably didnt get a quarter of the radio and t.v play S.H.A did because of the length of it.It's a tough call,personally i would pick Freebird

I think it's Sweet Home Alabama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->