Music: Each Band's/Artist's Most Iconic Song

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Countering with Plush for STP

Hard to choose with Metallica between One and Enter Sandman, but I think Enter Sandman is more iconic.

Sweet Child O'Mine probably beats WTJ for GNR.

I also think more people think of Man in the Box for Alice in Chains.

When I think of this exercise it's the first song that comes to mind when I think of the band.
STP ,huge fan..
I'm saying interstate love song

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Seems like Enter Sandman was the consensus Metallica song, but I think Nothing Else Matters may actually be the right answer...

Nothing Else Matters has over a billion views on YouTube... which is twice the number of Enter Sandman
Master of Puppets should be the answer. For any real metal fan it is but casual Metallica fans love that crap from the Black album.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Maybe you missed the part where the official video to Wind Of Change on the band's YouTube page is nearing 1 billion views

The official video to Rock You Like A Hurricane has 31 million... the official audio video has 51 million

From Wikipedia:
With estimated sales of 14 million copies sold worldwide, "Wind of Change" is one of the best-selling singles of all time. It holds the record for the best-selling single by a German artist.

I had never heard of, or had ever listened to, Still Loving You until just now...
Rock You Like a Hurricane is by far their most popular song in North America. Every classic rock station plays it everyday. I can't remember the last time I heard Wind of Change played. YouTube views don't mean jack.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Rock You Like a Hurricane is by far their most popular song in North America. Every classic rock station plays it everyday. I can't remember the last time I heard Wind of Change played. YouTube views don't mean jack.
youtube views i'm assuming accounts for all views of a clip worldwide, not just north america. winds is very, very popular throughout europe. i would even fathom a guess that winds is the most popular scorpions song to learn to play on guitar. also the political climate during the time winds came out was changing as well, which sparked the song's popularity worldwide.

to this day hurricane is still a major badass to me, as it's still hasn't worn out on me yet after all these years. as far as winds i was never into that song.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

Wind Of Change reached #4 on the US Billboard Hot 100

Rock You Like A Hurricane peaked at #25

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Surprised I never noticed this thread.

Grateful Dead: Truckin' (h.m. - Uncle John's Band)
Allman Brothers: Whipping Post
Bob Dylan: Uh... don't think there is only one
James Taylor: Fire and Rain
Jackson Brown: Doctor My Eyes (hm Before the Deluge)
The Clash: London Calling
Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing (hm - Money for Nothing)
Springsteen: Born to Run
CSNY: Wooden Ships or Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
The Band: The Weight
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Lucky Man
The Who: Baba O'Riley
Heart: Magic Man
Talking Heads: Psycho Killer? Not sure they really have one but I think that may have been most popular.
Bowie: Changes (hm - Ziggy Stardust)
Jethro Tull: Aqualung
Moody Blues: Nights in White Satin
Procol Harum: A Whiter Shade of Pale
Eric Clapton: Layla
Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower (hm - Purple Haze)
Sly and the Family Stone: Want to Take You Higher (hm- Dance to the Music)
Otis Redding: Sitting On the Dock of the Bay
Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter (hm Sympathy for the Devil)
Beatles: Hey Jude (hm Let it Be)
B-52s: Rock Lobster
Warren Zevon: Excitable Boy (hm Lawyers, Guns & Money)
Elvis Costello: What's So Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding (hm Allison)
Janis Joplin: Me & Bobby McGee
Jimmy Cliff: The Harder They Come
Joni Mitchell: Big Yellow Taxi (hm Woodstock)
The Kinks: Lola
Little Feat: Dixie Chicken (hm Spanish Moon)
Oingo Boingo: Dead Man's Party
Pink Floyd: Saw there was a quite a debate on this early in the thread, I would go with Comfortably Numb
Siouxsie and the Banshees: Cities in Dust
Steely Dan: Another tough one, I'd go with Rikki Don't Lose that Number and hm to Do it Again
U2: Sunday Bloody Sunday (hm New Year's Day)
Bob Marley: No Woman No Cry

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No 9 in D minor

Last edited:
Reactions: Mescaleroman

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Goldfinger is 'Superman' AINEC, and MCR is Black Parade

No way on Superman, good song but not most iconic or popular. I can see black parade but when I'm not ok came out it ushered in a new wave of emo. Black parade was a much more commercially successful song but the impact I'm not ok had on the scene was way bigger.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
80's

Night Ranger-Sister Christian
Corey Hart-Sunglasses At Night
Bryan Adams-Summer Of '69
Kim Carnes-Bette Davis Eyes
Olivia Newton-John-Physical
J.Geils Band-Centerfold
Survivor-Eye Of The Tiger
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts-I Love Rock And Roll
Tina Turner-What's Love Got To Do With It
Laura Branigan-Gloria
Rick Springfield-Jessie's Girl
Yes-Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Quarterflash-Harden My Heart
The Motels-Only The Lonely
Kim Wilde-Kids In America

My Best-Carey

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Out shined

Between that and Rusty Cage.

Surprised I never noticed this thread.

Grateful Dead: Truckin' (h.m. - Uncle John's Band)
Allman Brothers: Whipping Post
Bob Dylan: Uh... don't think there is only one
James Taylor: Fire and Rain
Jackson Brown: Doctor My Eyes (hm Before the Deluge)
The Clash: London Calling
Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing (hm - Money for Nothing)
Springsteen: Born to Run
CSNY: Wooden Ships or Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
The Band: The Weight
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Lucky Man
The Who: Baba O'Riley
Heart: Magic Man
Talking Heads: Psycho Killer? Not sure they really have one but I think that may have been most popular.
Bowie: Changes (hm - Ziggy Stardust)
Jethro Tull: Aqualung
Moody Blues: Nights in White Satin
Procol Harum: Conquistador
Eric Clapton: Layla
Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower (hm - Purple Haze)
Sly and the Family Stone: Want to Take You Higher (hm- Dance to the Music)
Otis Redding: Sitting On the Dock of the Bay
Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter (hm Sympathy for the Devil)
Beatles: Hey Jude (hm Let it Be)
B-52s: Rock Lobster
Warren Zevon: Excitable Boy (hm Lawyers, Guns & Money)
Elvis Costello: What's So Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding (hm Allison)
Janis Joplin: Me & Bobby McGee
Jimmy Cliff: The Harder They Come
Joni Mitchell: Big Yellow Taxi (hm Woodstock)
The Kinks: Lola
Little Feat: Dixie Chicken (hm Spanish Moon)
Oingo Boingo: Dead Man's Party
Pink Floyd: Saw there was a quite a debate on this early in the thread, I would go with Comfortably Numb
Siouxsie and the Banshees: Cities in Dust
Steely Dan: Another tough one, I'd go with Rikki Don't Lose that Number and hm to Do it Again
U2: Sunday Bloody Sunday (hm New Year's Day)
Bob Marley: No Woman No Cry

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No 9 in D minor

With Hendrix I’d go with Hey Joe.

What does everyone think Tears For Fears most iconic song is?

Guess it would have to be Shout, but Woman In Chains is their best work IMHO.

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
80's

Night Ranger-Sister Christian
Corey Hart-Sunglasses At Night
Bryan Adams-Summer Of '69
Kim Carnes-Bette Davis Eyes
Olivia Newton-John-Physical
J.Geils Band-Centerfold
Survivor-Eye Of The Tiger
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts-I Love Rock And Roll
Tina Turner-What's Love Got To Do With It
Laura Branigan-Gloria
Rick Springfield-Jessie's Girl
Yes-Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Quarterflash-Harden My Heart
The Motels-Only The Lonely
Kim Wilde-Kids In America

My Best-Carey

Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

From Wikipedia:
The song was an enormous chart success internationally, reaching the number-one position on the music charts of at least nineteen countries, notable exceptions in the Western World being Italy (number three) and Spain (number four). It is particularly notable for its success in the United Kingdom, where it spent sixteen consecutive weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart, the longest uninterrupted run ever on that chart as of 2022. It also topped the Europe-wide sales chart for eighteen continuous weeks. In the United States, it topped the Billboard Hot 100, which combines radio airplay and sales, for seven weeks, but stayed at number one for seventeen consecutive weeks on the sales-only chart. It went on to sell more than 15 million copies worldwide, making it Adams's most successful song, and one of the best-selling singles of all time.
The song was placed 18th in a survey of the favourite songs of British readers of the Guinness Book of Records.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
No way on Superman, good song but not most iconic or popular. I can see black parade but when I'm not ok came out it ushered in a new wave of emo. Black parade was a much more commercially successful song but the impact I'm not ok had on the scene was way bigger.

What are you talking about? Literally the only Goldfinger song 90% of the country knows is Superman.

Every male between 30-40 knows it from the 1st Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

Most others know it from being used in seemingly every late 90s movie.

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

From Wikipedia:
The song was an enormous chart success internationally, reaching the number-one position on the music charts of at least nineteen countries, notable exceptions in the Western World being Italy (number three) and Spain (number four). It is particularly notable for its success in the United Kingdom, where it spent sixteen consecutive weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart, the longest uninterrupted run ever on that chart as of 2022. It also topped the Europe-wide sales chart for eighteen continuous weeks. In the United States, it topped the Billboard Hot 100, which combines radio airplay and sales, for seven weeks, but stayed at number one for seventeen consecutive weeks on the sales-only chart. It went on to sell more than 15 million copies worldwide, making it Adams's most successful song, and one of the best-selling singles of all time.
The song was placed 18th in a survey of the favourite songs of British readers of the Guinness Book of Records.
I was thinking on Adams whether (Everything I Do) I Do It For You was his most iconic song or not. It obviously was a massive hit. But it just seems to me on "feel" that Summer Of '69 is even more recognized as an "the" Bryan Adams song. Seems to be played more now. And it came earlier. But that's a tough one.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
More 80's

Cyndi Lauper-Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Thompson Twins-Hold Me Now
The Fixx-One Thing Leads To Another
Fine Young Cannibals-She Drives Me Crazy
Bruce Hornsby And The Range-The Way It Is
38 Special-Caught Up In You
Robert Palmer-Addicted To Love
Poison-Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Europe-The Final Countdown
Lou Gramm (solo)-Midnight Blue
Steve Perry (solo)-Oh Sherrie
Christine McVie (solo)-Got A Hold On Me
Lindsey Buckingham (solo)-Trouble
Dennis DeYoung (solo)-Desert Moon
Tommy Shaw (solo)-Girls With Guns
Howard Jones-No One Is To Blame
Jack Wagner-All I Need
The Outfield-Your Love
Daryl Hall (solo)-Dreamtime
Paul Young-Everytime You Go Away
A-Ha-Take On Me
Sade-Smooth Operator
'til Tuesday-Voices Carry
John Waite-Missing You
The Romantics-Talking In Your Sleep
Scandal-The Warrior
Ray Parker Jr.-Ghostbusters
Eddy Grant-Electric Avenue
Adam Ant-Good Two Shoes
Asia-Heat Of The Moment
Soft Cell-Tainted Love
Flock Of Seagulls-I Ran
Eddie Rabbitt-I Love A Rainy Night
Frankie Goes To Hollywood-Relax
Johnny Lee-Lookin' For Love
Devo-Whip It
Ratt-Round And Round

My Best-Carey

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't know where you're from but if you have not heard SLY, you did not listen to American radio in the 80s and 90s, period.

YouTube is not the be-all-end-all. It was created in this millennium, long after these songs made their impact. And, unless you provide the breakdown of viewers by country, it will not disprove my assertion that RYLaH was more iconic in the USA, while Wind of Change -- in Europe.

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" has 686M YouTube views
"Come Together" has 94M YouTube views

Which one is more iconic?
Still loving you was huge in Europe as well. One of the definite rock ballads.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was thinking on Adams whether (Everything I Do) I Do It For You was his most iconic song or not. It obviously was a massive hit. But it just seems to me on "feel" that Summer Of '69 is even more recognized as an "the" Bryan Adams song. Seems to be played more now. And it came earlier. But that's a tough one.

My Best-Carey
It's either Summer of '69 or Livin on a Prayer. There's a handful of other songs that would be ahead of (Everything I Do) I it for You as well. That song hasn't aged well. Barely gets any airplay at all.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
And that means nothing 30 years later. You're clearly not from North America because it's not even close here.

It's either Summer of '69 or Livin on a Prayer. There's a handful of other songs that would be ahead of (Everything I Do) I it for You as well. That song hasn't aged well. Barely gets any airplay at all.

I don't think you've been right about anything you've said in this thread...

YouTube views mean jack... the Billboard Hot 100 means nothing... you seem to think the single most valuable tool we have in this thread is your own personal recollection of which songs you've heard more times on the radio

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I don't think you've been right about anything you've said in this thread...

YouTube views mean jack... the Billboard Hot 100 means nothing... you seem to think the single most valuable tool we have in this thread is your own personal recollection of which songs you've heard more times on the radio
Says the guy that's already been put on ignore by at least one person in this thread. That billboard crap you posted just shows that one generation of teenage girls loved that song. Doesn't mean it's his most iconic song. Summer of '69 is an absolute classic even if I don't like it myself.

Now I did realize after posting earlier that I mixed Adams and Bon Jovi up by including Livin on a Prayer so maybe it's his 2nd most iconic song.

And yes, YouTube views don't mean jack. A lot of fans of these older bands probably don't go on YouTube to listen to the songs. Each song also has probably a dozen YouTube videos for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad