Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would not sign Strome for $5mil a year - we need a much bigger body of work here before we can even get to that point. there really is no rush to sign him, but if we want to sign him early then it better be one hell of a sweet deal like Delia just signed. I mean, we can't get carried away here, the kid just 3 months ago was bouncing back and forth between the AHL/NHL and 3rd/4th line..what he is doing here is exceptional and I believe he can keep it up, but we need these guys to remain hungry and not get rewarded for 2 months of good play. this is exactly what we did with Delia, he has been rewarded but still needs to go out and produce to earn more.

Strome should not get over $3-3.5 mil right now - sign him to a 3 year bridge at that amount as that is even pushing it for me...he needs DeBrincat level of consistency to get anything over that, so if we sign him this year, he gets nothing over this amount..period.

people thought Schmaltz was going to get $6 mil, some of you need to calm down and relax..do not rush into bad deals- we can wait here with him, he is not going to cost us a ton right now.

Last edited:

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Dylan Strome 3rd star of the week according to Nhl.com.
Im so glad hes outta Arizona. Phew.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
If Strom and Cat want to keep the BFF going and play together for a long time...each side has to know they need to take a cap friendly deal to make it happen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Strom and Cat want to keep the BFF going and play together for a long time...each side has to know they need to take a cap friendly deal to make it happen.
Yeah, that is a good point. They should know the Hawks won't be afraid to ship their asses out of town if they request too much money. They may sign for 1mil cheaper each if they get both deals done at the same time.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, that is a good point. They should know the Hawks won't be afraid to ship their asses out of town if they request too much money. They may sign for 1mil cheaper each if they get both deals done at the same time.

How about we don't sign overpriced free agents and try to keep our young stars

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would not sign Strome for $5mil a year - we need a much bigger body of work here before we can even get to that point. there really is no rush to sign him, but if we want to sign him early then it better be one hell of a sweet deal like Delia just signed. I mean, we can't get carried away here, the kid just 3 months ago was bouncing back and forth between the AHL/NHL and 3rd/4th line..what he is doing here is exceptional and I believe he can keep it up, but we need these guys to remain hungry and not get rewarded for 2 months of good play. this is exactly what we did with Delia, he has been rewarded but still needs to go out and produce to earn more.

Strome should not get over $3-3.5 mil right now - sign him to a 3 year bridge at that amount as that is even pushing it for me...he needs DeBrincat level of consistency to get anything over that, so if we sign him this year, he gets nothing over this amount..period.

I get what you're saying that he needs to continue to prove things, but how many average guys put up roughly a point per game over a 30 game sample? That's a pretty tough feat for someone who is just a guy, or an average player. I think you need above average talent to pull that off.

Definitely don't think he has earned $8 million yet, but I'm pretty sure he's proving he has more talent and value than a typical $3 million a year guy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I get what you're saying that he needs to continue to prove things, but how many average guys put up roughly a point per game over a 30 game sample? That's a pretty tough feat for someone who is just a guy, or an average player. I think you need above average talent to pull that off.

Definitely don't think he has earned $8 million yet, but I'm pretty sure he's proving he has more talent and value than a typical $3 million a year guy.
a lot of players do, especially in contract years.

we also have to understand he has been put in one hell of a situation - playing with Kane and then his boy Cat - these are scenarios that have helped him produce. I am not saying he hasn't earned it, but I think some are going overboard here...he has NOT earned a contract over $3-3.5 yet...no way. the guy hasn't even hit 100 NHL games yet. I said IF you want to sign him early, then get him on a sweet deal like I suggested..if not, wait to see if he duplicates it next year then be prepared to offer $5 mil plus...

Schmaltz has taught us to take a breath, relax and wait and see - these kids have ups and downs all the time. we are in zero rush to sign him is my point, if you want to do it now, then it better be a Delia type deal with his limited body of work.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Those weren't bridge deals. The cap was going up to 59mil, that was more than 10% of the cap.

So if Strome finishes this year on pace for 70+ points, then puts up 70+ points next year, wouldn’t he be approaching 10% of the cap territory?

Or at least it’s an argument a smart agent would make.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So if Strome finishes this year on pace for 70+ points, then puts up 70+ points next year, wouldn’t he be approaching 10% of the cap territory?

Or at least it’s an argument a smart agent would make.
He can try, but good luck. I could see Stan doing it, because he seems to just hand out money when it comes to the top players. But he should be playing hardball with a player like Strome, who has zero leverage.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

people thought Schmaltz was going to get $6 mil, some of you need to calm down and relax..do not rush into bad deals- we can wait here with him, he is not going to cost us a ton right now.

If I were Stan I'd sign Strome now for as cheaply as possible and get him a skating coach. It's the only thing holding him back; his edges need work and it is most obvious along the boards.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He can try, but good luck. I could see Stan doing it, because he seems to just hand out money when it comes to the top players. But he should be playing hardball with a player like Strome, who has zero leverage.

Kuznetsov signed for 10% of the cap after putting up a 77 point then 59 point season.

If that gets him 10%, Strome’s agent would be within his right to ask for 10% following two .85 PPG seasons.

To your point, Stan should try to talk him down to 8%.

Still, that’s a $6.56-8.2 million range.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
a lot of players do, especially in contract years.

we also have to understand he has been put in one hell of a situation - playing with Kane and then his boy Cat - these are scenarios that have helped him produce. I am not saying he hasn't earned it, but I think some are going overboard here...he has NOT earned a contract over $3-3.5 yet...no way. the guy hasn't even hit 100 NHL games yet. I said IF you want to sign him early, then get him on a sweet deal like I suggested..if not, wait to see if he duplicates it next year then be prepared to offer $5 mil plus...

Schmaltz has taught us to take a breath, relax and wait and see - these kids have ups and downs all the time. we are in zero rush to sign him is my point, if you want to do it now, then it better be a Delia type deal with his limited body of work.

I just don’t understand why you and other people keep insinuating there’s some type of rush. We’re just discussing IF this is the player he is, then he will get paid when that time comes.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They signed their deals mid-season before they won the Cup, no?

Yeah, you're right, but the point really still stands. It was Toews and Kane. They signed 6m deals, and had accomplished far more. If Strome hits 70 points this season and next, then I'd be prepared to offer him a bigger contract, but right now, he just doesn't have the resume to warrant it.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kuznetsov signed for 10% of the cap after putting up a 77 point then 59 point season.

If that gets him 10%, Strome’s agent would be within his right to ask for 10% following two .85 PPG seasons.

To your point, Stan should try to talk him down to 8%.

Still, that’s a $6.56-8.2 million range.
Kuznetsov had a much larger sample size of work when he signed (~250GP). Strome by then, would have a season and a half. No way in hell am I giving Strome close to 8mil, I'd have trouble with anything over 6.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Kuznetsov had a much larger sample size of work when he signed (~250GP). Strome by then, would have a season and a half. No way in hell am I giving Strome close to 8mil, I'd have trouble with anything over 6.

Kuznetsov’s sample before those two seasons was high-end third line production, I don’t know how much that helped him.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, you're right, but the point really still stands. It was Toews and Kane. They signed 6m deals, and had accomplished far more. If Strome hits 70 points this season and next, then I'd be prepared to offer him a bigger contract, but right now, he just doesn't have the resume to warrant it.

Yep, two .85 + point per game seasons is going to get this guy paid.

He will land somewhere between Larkin and Kuznetsov money, I think.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I just don’t understand why you and other people keep insinuating there’s some type of rush. We’re just discussing IF this is the player he is, then he will get paid when that time comes.
if you are signing him now, you are rushing. he is barely 2 months full-time in the NHL, I don't understand how you can't see this?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It was still better than what Strome did prior to coming here.

So you’re saying use his Arizona time to try and drive down his cost? I’m not sure how effective that will be when he looks so starkly different in Chicago.

The agent will argue the Arizona time should be dismissed because it’s clear they franchise was limiting Strome’s potential.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So you’re saying use his Arizona time to try and drive down his cost? I’m not sure how effective that will be when he looks so starkly different in Chicago.

The agent will argue the Arizona time should be dismissed because it’s clear they franchise was limiting Strome’s potential.

If they are signing him this offseason, he'll have just over 100 games played. 48 will be in Ariz. That has to be part of the evaluation. Less so then his time here sure, but it can't be completely disregarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad