Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He played 46 and 51 games during the first two years of his ELC putting up a combined .55 PPG. That’s not what earned him the 9% of the cap contract.

It was the 70 point season in his third year that did it for him.

I get what you mean by saying they probably saw more during practice and how he trained, but he wasn’t wowing with his production the first two years.

He blew the bruins away in the third year, and if Strome matches that, I don’t see how you can dismiss it.

Combine that with a half a season of potential point per game play this year, I think Strome’s agent could use Strome’s contract as a comparison. I think Stan talks him down to 8%.
I think my entire point is Strome has less leverage than some other names that have been getting used. I think he will be happy if he gets a 3-5 year deal valued at $3-5 mil per year...my speculation obviously, but it has been a tough go for the kid up to now, and as long as he keeps it up he deserves that and maybe a little bit more but he is not going to get some crazy deal in years or $$$. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This offseason is going to reveal a lot about what kind of contracts non-1C 1st year RFA players will get. Tkachuk, Marner, Rantanen just to name a few. I think those guys are going to get similar AAVs. I think what was the 5-6M x 5 year contract is now the 9-10M x 5 year contract.
and they ALL have one thing in common - 3 FULL years - body of work.

they are ALL likely cashing in big and you are correct, the RFA contracts are now going to get crazy for players coming out of ELC's - but it is for the top players, as all 3 of them are in the top 25 in scoring and have been consistent producers for 3 full years.

Strome has been producing for 2-3 months, that is it. In no way, shape or form can he be held with those names and rightfully so. Maybe he gets to their level after his third full season but unfortunately that is not how it works and come contract time it will be based off what he has done and his body of work is far far less than those names.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think my entire point is Strome has less leverage than some other names that have been getting used. I think he will be happy if he gets a 3-5 year deal valued at $3-5 mil per year...my speculation obviously, but it has been a tough go for the kid up to now, and as long as he keeps it up he deserves that and maybe a little bit more but he is not going to get some crazy deal in years or $$$. Just my opinion of course.

I get your argument that he will have less leverage, but if he has a true breakout season in his contract year, I think he gets closer to some of those other names than $5 million.

I’m not saying he’ll necessarily get the 9% Pastrnak got, but I think around 8% is realistic.

I think DeBrincat gets about 9% though.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Not really, if you did not mean to be using being picked 3rd overall as a qualifier then you should not have put it in there. Also his numbers in juniors mean nothing. You can/should use his AHL numbers as a factor but you have you be very careful when doing so.
I looked up his AHL numbers. 53 pts in 50 career AHL games. He's produced everywhere he's been, and he's been over a ppg everywhere he's been. There is no reason to believe this is anything other than him living up to his draft status/potential. Arizona misused him and did him a disservice in player development. I realize his OHL numbers don't really mean anything, but outscoring McDavid in juniors has to mean something, right? Especially when McDavid was Strome's linemate. Maybe over 9.5 is a little rich if he puts up 90+ next year, but there is no reason why he should want to sign this summer. 8-9.5 is about right with a 90+ point season next year. My point is and remains that the only place he hasn't produced around a ppg is on Arizona's 4th line.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Which side is insane? I feel like it’s a pretty split and well-natured debate.

I looked up his AHL numbers. 53 pts in 50 career AHL games. He's produced everywhere he's been, and he's been over a ppg everywhere he's been. There is no reason to believe this is anything other than him living up to his draft status/potential. Arizona misused him and did him a disservice in player development. I realize his OHL numbers don't really mean anything, but outscoring McDavid in juniors has to mean something, right? Especially when McDavid was Strome's linemate. Maybe over 9.5 is a little rich if he puts up 90+ next year, but there is no reason why he should want to sign this summer. 8-9.5 is about right with a 90+ point season next year. My point is and remains that the only place he hasn't produced around a ppg is on Arizona's 4th line.

There ya go

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
and they ALL have one thing in common - 3 FULL years - body of work.

they are ALL likely cashing in big and you are correct, the RFA contracts are now going to get crazy for players coming out of ELC's - but it is for the top players, as all 3 of them are in the top 25 in scoring and have been consistent producers for 3 full years.

Strome has been producing for 2-3 months, that is it. In no way, shape or form can he be held with those names and rightfully so. Maybe he gets to their level after his third full season but unfortunately that is not how it works and come contract time it will be based off what he has done and his body of work is far far less than those names.

Exactly. I’d put the chances of a Strome extension this offseason close to zero because he hasn’t finished his ELC and is still in the process of establishing who he is and what he is worth.

Debrincat is a bit of a different story. He may be willing to sign a big money deal now. I still doubt it, but at least he has more or less established who he is as a player.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There ya go
It isn't insane. He's been putting up around a ppg everywhere except AZ's 4th line. We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO 55 pts is his floor next year. 85 isn't nuts, and neither is 90. Sure if you surround the guy with crappy talent and play him 8 minutes per game he's not going to produce. This is more about Arizona's mismanagement of an extremely talented player than anything else. Listen, I'm not saying that he's earned anything yet. I just think it isn't out of the question that the guy we've seen since the trade is who he is. He's put up 4 3point games, all in the last 4 weeks, and 10 multi point games since being traded to the Hawks. Again, I don't think it is crazy at all. We don't know for sure, but you have to let it play out over the course of the remainder of this season and next.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So you’re saying use his Arizona time to try and drive down his cost? I’m not sure how effective that will be when he looks so starkly different in Chicago.

The agent will argue the Arizona time should be dismissed because it’s clear they franchise was limiting Strome’s potential.
Absolutely. You can't just dismiss it. He has to prove he will be consistent through out the contract.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It isn't insane. He's been putting up around a ppg everywhere except AZ's 4th line. We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO 60 pts is his floor next year. 85 isn't nuts, and neither is 90. Sure if you surround the guy with crappy talent and play him 8 minutes per game he's not going to produce. This is more about Arizona's mismanagement of an extremely talented player than anything else.
I realize scoring up this season, but if Strome scores 85 ... Patrick Kane has only topped that 3x in his career. If Strome scores 90, Patrick Kane has only topped that once in his career. We all know what that season was.

Let's pump the brakes. I'm a huge Strome fan, but let's get a bit more realistic.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
90pts for Strome is insanity. He is on a tear right now. You are crazy if you think this is his consistent pace for his career moving forward.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
90pts for Strome is insanity. He is on a tear right now. You are crazy if you think this is his consistent pace for his career moving forward.
I don't necessarily think that, but I wouldn't rule it out based on his track record at every level when utilized properly. Most likely he settles into the 60-75 pt range, but........the guy just sees the ice so well, and he was extremely well regarded as a draft prospect.....he has that kind of talent. I'm not saying that he's going to score 90+ but I wouldn't rule it out as impossible either. Unlikely? Yeah. Impossible? No.
Also 19 and 88 were hampered by a horrid PP for most of their tenure. Kane's big seasons have come when the PP was good. Toews probably gets over a ppg a few times with a decent PP as well.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Absolutely. You can't just dismiss it. He has to prove he will be consistent through out the contract.

There are plenty of cases of guys exploding in their final year/year and a half. Not every young player steps in and produces 70+ points from day one of their ELC like Kane.

I'm not saying hand him $8 million now, I'm saying if he continues this year at a point per game, and follows it up with a 70+ point season next year, that weighs a hell of a lot heavier than whatever happened in Arizona.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't necessarily think that, but I wouldn't rule it out based on his track record at every level when utilized properly. Most likely he settles into the 60-75 pt range, but........the guy just sees the ice so well, and he was extremely well regarded as a draft prospect.....he has that kind of talent. I'm not saying that he's going to score 90+ but I wouldn't rule it out as impossible either. Unlikely? Yeah. Impossible? No.
Also 19 and 88 were hampered by a horrid PP for most of their tenure. Kane's big seasons have come when the PP was good. Toews probably gets over a ppg a few times with a decent PP as well.

That's where I'd put my money.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It isn't insane. He's been putting up around a ppg everywhere except AZ's 4th line. We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO 55 pts is his floor next year. 85 isn't nuts, and neither is 90. Sure if you surround the guy with crappy talent and play him 8 minutes per game he's not going to produce. This is more about Arizona's mismanagement of an extremely talented player than anything else. Listen, I'm not saying that he's earned anything yet. I just think it isn't out of the question that the guy we've seen since the trade is who he is. He's put up 4 3point games, all in the last 4 weeks, and 10 multi point games since being traded to the Hawks. Again, I don't think it is crazy at all. We don't know for sure, but you have to let it play out over the course of the remainder of this season and next.

People are glossing over the impact of JC on the team offense and PP. It’s had a major impact on eneryone’s point totals. Isn’t Kane scoring at 2 PPG pace over the last 25-30 games? Is it insane to think Kane might score 130 points or more either this or next year? Absolutely not.

Got to give credit where it is due, Colliton is getting more out of these guys than Q did and that’s going to influence their future contracts.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would too, but I don't discount the idea that Bowman stole a special player from AZ, and nobody here should either. If you watch Strome's line play he's driving it. That means more to me as a watcher of the game than anything. Strome makes Gato and especially Kahun better. It is obvious.

60-75 points is still special.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Yep, 9 guys got 90 pts last year. McDavid only guy in 16-17. Kane only guy in 15-16. Scoring is up a bit this year, so we could see 10-20 this season, but Strome isn't on that level.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

As for what he ultimately is going foward? For me personally, I'd say 50-60 pts is his normal. Maybe breaks 70 in a career year.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yep, 9 guys got 90 pts last year. McDavid only guy in 16-17. Kane only guy in 15-16. Scoring is up a bit this year, so we could see 10-20 this season, but Strome isn't on that level.

As for what he ultimately is going foward? For me personally, I'd say 50-60 pts is his normal. Maybe breaks 70 in a career year.
We don't know that yet, which is the point that I'm trying to make. the next 108 games will say a lot about the kid.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

I think Strome can hit ~70 points regularly. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but his hands and feel are so good. That said, it's not like Toews hitting 70 ... who is annually a Selke nominee minus the last couple of years.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Way too early to think long term extension for Strome, who hasn’t even been doing this for half a season. I like what I see and feel confident he will be a very productive player, but I still go back to guys like Panik and even Schmaltz who showed big flashes but were not worthy of long term bigger money.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Way too early to think long term extension for Strome, who hasn’t even been doing this for half a season. I like what I see and feel confident he will be a very productive player, but I still go back to guys like Panik and even Schmaltz who showed big flashes but were not worthy of long term bigger money.
This is a really good point, but there were serious flaws in both Panik and Schmaltz's games that don't exist with Strome. Panik had the hockey sense of a turd and Schmaltz was afraid to get hit and go to the dirty areas. Strome's best skill is his hockey sense and he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas. Not worried about it. Like I said, this could be who Strome is, or it could be a hot streak. I still think that Strome will settle in at 60-75 points/82 at worst. The potential is there for more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad