HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I know a lot of Leaf fans and I haven't seen anything from them on social media, it's like they are worn out and simply don't care anymore.

I think they need to get rid of 2 of the core 4 forwards if they hope to make the team better. I would trade Marner and Matthews because both have been colossal letdowns in the playoffs and seem to pout which can't be good for the rest of the team to witness. They are complimentary pieces and not leaders. Marner is the one likely to go but things won't change with Matthews, he has no pulse for the playoffs.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Toronto may be the only market more obsessive, and less reality-based, than ours.

I like Hughes because he tries to make sure players are happy, but he also doesn't go overboard. It's pretty clear in retrospect that Toronto shouldn't have signed Tavares unless he took a really big hometown discount. It was pretty clear at the time that if none of their four offensive stars was willing to take a discount, or even pass up an nmc, they would need to move one of them.

On the other hand it is very hard not to keep good players, and it's tough to put together a team that can win both in the regular season and the playoffs. I get the impression that the Leafs went a bit too far on adanced stats, in that there is way more data for the regular season and that data doesn't mean much for playoff hockey.

With 32 teams it's not easy to win. You have to have good players, everyone has to buy in, most guys have to peak and be healthy at the right time, and you need to play teams that are not peaking. The habs had some pretty fortunate occurrences in their last 2 cup runs, and, with the cap, it's not really possible to build a team like the ones from the '70s. Chances are we'll be in the same boat, bitching about playoff losses, in a few years, assuming the habs don't emulate the Sabres or other frequent bottom feeders.

With luck we'll get some good Montreal/Toronto playoff series. The habs should improve and the Leafs may be more effective when the Tavares and Marner contracts are up.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Molson is still the President and Gorton is the Executive Vice President. Molson split the duties when Gorton and Hughes were hired as Bergevin was both the Executive Vice President and the GM
I'm pretty sure all hockey decisions outside of financial ones are 100% done by Gorton. Gorton would not waste his time being a yes man.

Reactions: Tyson and red devil

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I apologize for my ignorance here, but do Habs fans hate Toronto or Boston more? I figure that series was a win - win either way.
For a long time Boston. Recently Toronto. We know Boston doesn't have the horses for a cup win so Toronto losing is great. When you have as many good offensive weapons as Toronto does they can go on a run at any time.

Florida's going to murder Boston.

I hate Boston and Toronto equally at the moment but I suspect I will go back to pittying the leafs by the end of the decade.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does it get any better than this? My personal favorite, worth framing for fans of teams that are routinely shunned by Leaf shill media.

x5vf7yX.png

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Tomorrow or Tuesday will be locker clean out day so I doubt there will be any changes for at least another week or so.
No sense in waiting.. Just rip that Band-Aid off quickly and finally be done with the lot of them ASAP. Well that's what I would do anyway. :)

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm pretty sure all hockey decisions outside of financial ones are 100% done by Gorton. Gorton would not waste his time being a yes man.
Gorton has to inform Molson of major moves & potential signings, just as Shanahan did the same going to MLSE board but going fwd he will do so to MLSE CEO Pelley who will in turn have all relationship w MLSE board.

Dubas wanted to report hockey matters directly to MLSE board, which he does now w Pens but Shanahan wouldn’t allow w Leafs

Reactions: Habs10Habs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
All those involve financial decisions.
Mainly but even rubber stamping of moves, Gorton said Molson had a 1-on-1 as final interview & gave go ahead for Slaf pick. I would assume major UFA signings & acquisitions as well

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Almost all important hockey decisions have financial ramifications and need to be okay'd by ownership.
That doesn't mean ownership is president of hockey operation though and that's my point. I'd assume Gorton if vetoed out too many times on purely hockey decisions would just leave the team. He's an experienced manager with many years under his belt. Molson approving his moves is not the same as Molson making the moves. Now i'm pretty sure Marc Bergevin was the actual president of hockey operation and Molson was just approving or not his moves. But like i said we changed the management team. It went from a one man army to Gorton and KH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad