Dylan McIlrath Part IV: Wrath a Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I agree, that instigator is a penalty you take ten times out of ten. In all honesty it shouldn't have been a penalty kill, it should be EXPECTED that Belensky gets a penalty. Post game even he admitted the hit was "a little late."

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
FINALLY! A real response to a dirty play. Not accustomed to this. But I like it.

Edit: i forgot about Rupp vs Florida. That was nice too.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
BOSTON — Derek Stepan was crumpled on the ice in pain with what later was diagnosed as broken ribs, after taking a late hit from Matt Beleskey that sent the Rangers center into the wall from a couple of feet away 8:06 into the second period on Friday afternoon.

From a few feet away, Dylan McIlrath had no doubt an immediate response was required. And he was correct, even if he picked up a two-minute instigator penalty (plus five for fighting and a corresponding 10-minute misconduct) for pummeling the Bruins’ winger.

McIlrath was correct, even if that instigator penalty gave the Bruins a power play (on which they scored the tying goal to make it a 2-2 game) when the Wes McCauley-Chris Rooney refereeing duo somehow failed to assess Beleskey for boarding on the dangerous play that merits review and imposition of supplementary discipline from the NHL Department of Player Safety.

“Seeing Step down on a hit like that, I think it’s important to step up for a teammate,” the rookie defenseman told The Post after the Blueshirts lost 4-3 by yielding a pair of goals 2:03 apart within the final 3:46 of the third period.

“Obviously I don’t want to take the penalty, but I can’t allow the instigator to stop me.”

Truer words were never spoken. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not, the Rangers played with as much jam as they have all season with McIlrath — who had rocked Landon Ferraro into the left wing boards on a rush 7:00 into the first on the team’s most notable check of the campaign — in the lineup for just the fifth time this season.

McIlrath said he had received the endorsement of his teammates during the second intermission. That’s comforting, as the Rangers have absorbed more than their share of abuse not only this season, but through the years.

Enough is enough, just as it is enough of Alain Vigneault — understandably upset at the hit — keeping McIlrath in street clothes so the coach can get another finesse-alleged puck mover in the person of Dan Boyle into the Blueshirts’ homogenous lineup.

“All the guys said they appreciated it; Step, too,” said McIlrath, who played a total of 10:04. “It’s unfortunate that they scored on that power play, but it is what it is.”

Again, correct. It was unfortunate the Rangers couldn’t kill it off, just as it was unfortunate the Blueshirts couldn’t protect a 3-2 lead by killing off a holding penalty assessed to Jesper Fast at 14:54 of the third, and just as it was unfortunate they broke down soon after that under relentless pressure before David Krejci’s blast hit Emerson Etem’s stick and beat Henrik Lundqvist for the winner at 18:17.

“Absolutely, Dylan did the right thing,” Ryan McDonagh told The Post. “As far as the hit goes, Step is one of the smartest guys I’ve ever played with, he knows the situation when he’s on the ice, he knows how to take a hit, and for him to do down and get hurt on a play like that, there’s something off there.”
http://nypost.com/2015/11/27/rangers-right-to-defend-stepan-after-dangerous-hit-breaks-his-ribs/

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
By the way that penalty was Dylan's first penalty in 5 games.

He was also a plus 1 for the game.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I disagree with you 100%. The way he jumped in to stick up for his teammates is very important. So they scored a PPG. His job is to protect his teammates and play a simple defense first game. I will take what Dylan did everyday. Teams will think twice before they do something like that again. Its up to his teammates to kill that one off. You take a penalty like that sticking up for your teammates and its on the PK to have your back and kill it off. Your dislike for the McIlrath pick has clouded your brain. It even says it in your name, "with the 10th pick". So they did not pick Tarasenko, 15 teams passed on Tarasenko for one reason or another. You have to be able to get over it and move on. Dallas took Campbell at #9, that pick was even worse.

Because it did such a good job keeping Marchand from running Lunqvist later in the game?

It was a terrible hockey play that hurt the team. This isn't the 80's anymore where it's fight after fight. There's no need to do anything like that. You don't see it in football which is a similarly physical game because the players know if they get into an actual fight they'll be thrown out of the game. Obviously the players are going to say they are happy he stuck up from them and such but it in no way was a plus to give the team with the best PP in the league a power play (or negate what should have been our PP if the refs were "doing their job" and drop us down to 5 defenseman for 17 minutes.)

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Because it did such a good job keeping Marchand from running Lunqvist later in the game?

It was a terrible hockey play that hurt the team. This isn't the 80's anymore where it's fight after fight. There's no need to do anything like that. You don't see it in football which is a similarly physical game because the players know if they get into an actual fight they'll be thrown out of the game. Obviously the players are going to say they are happy he stuck up from them and such but it in no way was a plus to give the team with the best PP in the league a power play (or negate what should have been our PP if the refs were "doing their job" and drop us down to 5 defenseman for 17 minutes.)

Good penalty to take there. Had hank stopped what most here are saying is a stoppable shot were not having this discussion.

Dylan gets high marks for doing what he did in that spot.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The coach, his teammates, and the Rangers media understood exactly why Kreider and Dylan had to stand up for Stepan. Would you prefer a situation like in Philly when Carcillo beat up Gabs and his Ranger teammates did not do anything?

With that said Belevsky should have got a late hit and the instigator did not have to be called since both threw their gloves pretty close to each other. At worst it should have been a 4 on 4. It could have been a PP for us. There is no way that should have been a Bruins PP.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

It's a regular season game in November when NYR have been stacking points despite playing subpar.

I don't believe that it deters future actions but I do 100% belive that it's good for morale, both team wide and with step specifically. It's demoralizing when someone takes out one of your players and even more demoralizing when nobody does a damn thing about it. When I play I feel a lot better when a tough guy on my team backs me up and let's me know, and the rest of the team know, that someone has an eye out and someone has my/our backs. I play very low level but I think that's sort of a universal thing rooted in basic human emotion and psychology.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It's a regular season game in November when NYR have been stacking points despite playing subpar.

I don't believe that it deters future actions but I do 100% belive that it's good for morale, both team wide and with step specifically. It's demoralizing when someone takes out one of your players and even more demoralizing when nobody does a damn thing about it. When I play I feel a lot better when a tough guy on my team backs me up and let's me know, and the rest of the team know, that someone has an eye out and someone has my/our backs. I play very low level but I think that's sort of a universal thing rooted in basic human emotion and psychology.

It deters some guys to varying degrees. When I play I always know when there is a huge strong mean guy on the ice for various reasons. It could be to avoid his checks, not want to have my stick vibrate in my hands or for possibly getting my face punched in. I noticed Rinaldo was pretty quiet yesterday. Will it deter all players from doing everything? No. Will it deter some players from doing some things? Absolutely without a doubt.

There was a get together behind the Bruins net with 3 Bruins yapping at Zooks. I felt much better when Dylan went down there to make sure nothing happened.

JerseyRangers*

What Wrath did in the 1st period today is exactly what's been missing from the Rangers lineup for a very long time. The hit on Schultz was textbook - too bad he left the game but that's hockey. Then he destroyed Schenn in the fight.

Wrath brings an element that has been missing from the Rangers team for many, many years. He needs to play every night.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
When was the last time the Rangers played a period of hockey and 80% of the talk was about a NY Ranger player's hit?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Let McIlrath play. It'd be one thing if Boyle was providing offense but he's not so might as well get the added physicality with McIlrath right now.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
This kid wants to play ...and he wants to play NOW . He has looked as good as any rookie D out there IMO in his limited showing...and they all make mistakes....it happens . I think we can live with a few over the course of the season if he makes us a harder team to play against . The way it is now....clubs can play us and they don't have to physically worry about one guy hurting them....well guess what ? He can hurt you and he will....they will start thinking about that and over a long schedule...it will bring results .

Our 6 D have played poorly...time to start sitting some guys for a few games and maybe they come to the rink better prepared and their heads screwed on right .

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
With Stepan out, how about playing Boyle as a forward...his weakness has been on defense anyhow. With more of an offense-minded role he might flourish. Also a little insurance in case McIrath takes a penalty.
I love what McIlrath brings.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
three months from now you guys are all going to love this kid.. I don't want to jinx it but he is progressing nicely and soon enough if playing a regular shift he will be a force. When's the last time you saw a player fly backwards from a hit like that. The fight was a bonus but the hit is HOCKEY.. By the way i missed watching all the gme because of an event with Brian Mullen but did the FLyer get the 2 - 5- 10 package like we got yesterday ?

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
It deters some guys to varying degrees. When I play I always know when there is a huge strong mean guy on the ice for various reasons. It could be to avoid his checks, not want to have my stick vibrate in my hands or for possibly getting my face punched in. I noticed Rinaldo was pretty quiet yesterday. Will it deter all players from doing everything? No. Will it deter some players from doing some things? Absolutely without a doubt.

There was a get together behind the Bruins net with 3 Bruins yapping at Zooks. I felt much better when Dylan went down there to make sure nothing happened.

This post is bang on and about the bolded, I was coming here to say the same thing.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I think we all expected a lot of fights when mcilrath started out. It always happens with tough guys. They're going to test him then after a while he'll grow a reputation and won't have to fight as much

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
McIlrath looks good.

I'd like to see the Yandle-McIlrath pair reunited, preferably as the 2nd pair.

They compliment each other very well.

McIlrath is huge and physical and make short passes, but he's a tad slow and not great in transition.

Yandle skates like the wind and is fantastic in transition but he's horse **** in front of the net.

It's a match made in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad