Dylan McIlrath Part IV: Wrath a Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I started life as a detractor of his. Well, not to the extent of the insane detractors, but I was pretty displeased with the pick. His development in the WHL was very encouraging to me. As was his improvement in Hartford. One thing that I love about the kid is that he wants to learn. You can tell that he just wants to be out there and is a student of the game.

I don't know if I'd call myself a huge fan or detractor of the pick. Admitedly, the guy I really wanted in 2010 was Tarasenko. But I also never quite viewed the pick as a new decades equivalent of Hugh Jessiman either.

My stance on McIlrath isn't all that different than it was 5 years ago. I think he'll play in the NHL, though I don't know if he'll ever quite justify passing some of the guys taken after him.

I think some people got a little caught up in the post-draft hype and started envisioning him becoming the next Shea Weber. That just wasn't a fair comparison - even without the benefit of hindsight.

I think McIlrath will have a nice NHL career. What I'm still undecided about is the level at which he will play. I don't know if I see him as more than a bottom pairing defenseman, though that's not meant as an insult. I view his game as being an essential part of an NHL team, just not necessarily a focal point.

With that said, I think some people are always going to feel that for where McIlrath was taken, and who was on the board, he needs to be more than what he is. I think they'll always be harder on McIlrath.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't know if I'd call myself a huge fan or detractor of the pick. Admitedly, the guy I really wanted in 2010 was Tarasenko. But I also never quite viewed the pick as a new decades equivalent of Hugh Jessiman either.

My stance on McIlrath isn't all that different than it was 5 years ago. I think he'll play in the NHL, though I don't know if he'll ever quite justify passing some of the guys taken after him.

I think some people got a little caught up in the post-draft hype and started envisioning him becoming the next Shea Weber. That just wasn't a fair comparison - even without the benefit of hindsight.

I think McIlrath will have a nice NHL career. What I'm still undecided about is the level at which he will play. I don't know if I see him as more than a bottom pairing defenseman, though that's not meant as an insult. I view his game as being an essential part of an NHL team, just not necessarily a focal point.

With that said, I think some people are always going to feel that for where McIlrath was taken, and who was on the board, he needs to be more than what he is. I think they'll always be harder on McIlrath.

I think I see him as a 3/4 guy. A tougher version of Orpik. I never felt Orpik was ever truly a top pairing guy, but I can see a lot of the same game in McIlrath.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does McIlrath remind anyone of a bigger and more punishing Kevin Klein? This is exactly the reason I've wanted to trade Klein.

If they are so close to redundant players, why have both of them, especially when Klein can bring us back a different kind of RHD that the team could really use?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Orpik is an undisciplined and poorly positioned pylon, if McIlrath isn't better I'd be disappointed.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I started life as a detractor of his. Well, not to the extent of the insane detractors, but I was pretty displeased with the pick. His development in the WHL was very encouraging to me. As was his improvement in Hartford. One thing that I love about the kid is that he wants to learn. You can tell that he just wants to be out there and is a student of the game.

be nice. no name calling. those whom you are referring to might be hurt by that comment lol.

all young prospects want to learn. if they didn't, they would be selling cars.

he's never going to be a real difference maker imo. his skills are complimentary for the most part but he does have the ability to make life miserable for forwards. that alone makes him valuable as a 3rd pair guy.

excited to see how he does with an extended number of games. would love to see him get his first goal as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Orpik is an undisciplined and poorly positioned pylon, if McIlrath isn't better I'd be disappointed.

Uh. Orpik was a pretty solid player for a long time (a stalwart second pairing defenseman in his prime). He is currently an undisciplined and poorly positioned pylon. Who would be talking about the ******, current Orpik, though, when discussing about McIlrath's potential?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Uh. Orpik was a pretty solid player for a long time (a stalwart second pairing defenseman in his prime). He is currently an undisciplined and poorly positioned pylon. Who would be talking about the ******, current Orpik, though, when discussing about McIlrath's potential?

they're not similar either when Orpik was in his prime (where I don't think he was good either).

Orpik is about the definition of a post DPE rat. Loves hitting from behind, after the whistle, etc, but being generally a coward when he's confronted. He likes pain until someone challenges him and cleans his clock. McIlrath's attitude is more that of a tough police officer.

Orpik's also a better skater but worse with the puck.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Orpik isn't solid at anything except for ill-advised hits in the neutral zone that hurt his team.

if mcilrath becomes an "in his prime" brooks orpik, we have hit the proverbial jackpot.

at one time, he was a fearsome player. nasty and in your grill. the dude could move too for a big guy. played a ton of minutes too against top lines.

we can only hope.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure this was ever posted

11/30: Dan Girardi said that McIlrath has done a lot for the Rangers and plays a "good, clean, hard game and he moves the puck very well." (The Record)

He added that a guy like McIlrath is "needed" in the lineup because he "stops the screwing around a little bit" and will hold players on the other team accountable. (The Record)

Larry Brooks writes that there is "no earthly reason" for Alain Vigneault to sit Dylan McIlrath. (NY Post)

11/29: Playing for the second straight game, Dylan McIlrath played 13:09 with 1 shot on goal and 3 hits.

McIlrath had a fight for the second straight game along with a hooking penalty in the third period.

By period, McIlrath played 3:14 in the first period, 4:38 in the second period and 5:17 in the third period.

Derick Brassard said that the best moment of Saturday's game against the Flyers for the Rangers was when Dylan McIlrath "hit the guy."

Rick Nash said of McIlrath, "he's been great - great hit, had a great fight. Yesterday he sticks up for a guy. He's a heart and soul guy. I think it's tough to find these days - guys like him who will stick up for anybody."

Larry Brooks writes that McIlrath was one of the only Rangers to play well on Saturday and that he is only one of six players who has played up to their abilities this season. (NY Post)

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/dylan-mcilrath-receives-high-praise-from-rick-nash/158397202

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
His puck movement is what has impressed me most and what I think will get him ant the help him keep a middle pairing job with time. I expected him to be tough on the boards and in front of the net and to eventually make people think twice about going down his side - I did not expect smooth outlet passing which we've seen from him for the most part so far. That's huge if he can keep that up against slightly tougher competition when that challenge is placed in front of him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
they're not similar either when Orpik was in his prime (where I don't think he was good either).
Most in the NHL would disagree with you on this.
Orpik is about the definition of a post DPE rat. Loves hitting from behind, after the whistle, etc, but being generally a coward when he's confronted. He likes pain until someone challenges him and cleans his clock. McIlrath's attitude is more that of a tough police officer.
Not on this though

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

That's simply inaccurate.

I'm not talking about post-whistle "play" (hard to call it "play" since the clock isn't running).

Orpik's also a better skater but worse with the puck.

Orpik isn't a better skater at all. McIlrath is at least an equal skater north south and is a fair bit more agile than Orpik ever was.

JerseyRangers*

be nice. no name calling. those whom you are referring to might be hurt by that comment lol.

all young prospects want to learn. if they didn't, they would be selling cars.

he's never going to be a real difference maker imo. his skills are complimentary for the most part but he does have the ability to make life miserable for forwards. that alone makes him valuable as a 3rd pair guy.

excited to see how he does with an extended number of games. would love to see him get his first goal as well.

This is completely where I don't get you. So your gonna say that a guy like Brooks Orpik, when the Pens won the cup, wasn't a difference maker? I think your dead wrong. Go back to the year the Rangers faced the Pens and look at the nasty hit that Orpik laid on Jagr after JJ scored a goal. That series was just as much about the Pens outhitting the Rangers as it was about Crosby and Malkin.

Don't think that for a second that a lot of guys in the league didn't look at that Shultz hit and go WFT??? Believe it or not there are forwards in the NHL that will play a different style of game when they are facing guys like McIlrath.

That is the element he brings and one that this team has lacked for years. Don't forget this team lost the TB series in Washington. That Caps team physically beat the heck out of us and we had little left against TB.

JerseyRangers*

To all the posters here who claim that intimidation and deterrence means nothing the above quotes from current NHL players proves how wrong you are.

Very few guys actually like to get drilled into the boards - many will do everything to avoid it. I wanna have the guy on my team that can inflict damage to other players by hitting them.

Very interested to see who takes a run at McIlrath tomorrow nite. Notice that no one from Boston or Philly really tried to nail him. Wonder if Clutterbuck or MM will take a run at him and how that will work out!:amazed:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This is completely where I don't get you. So your gonna say that a guy like Brooks Orpik, when the Pens won the cup, wasn't a difference maker? I think your dead wrong. Go back to the year the Rangers faced the Pens and look at the nasty hit that Orpik laid on Jagr after JJ scored a goal. That series was just as much about the Pens outhitting the Rangers as it was about Crosby and Malkin.

Don't think that for a second that a lot of guys in the league didn't look at that Shultz hit and go WFT??? Believe it or not there are forwards in the NHL that will play a different style of game when they are facing guys like McIlrath.

That is the element he brings and one that this team has lacked for years. Don't forget this team lost the TB series in Washington. That Caps team physically beat the heck out of us and we had little left against TB.

oh, he was. big time.

i said, if he mcilrath becomes that orpik, we've hit the lottery.

thats pretty clear right ?

dylan has a looooong way to go to get to that type of player. in his heyday, orpik was a very good dman who brought pain and suffering with him. he was more than solid. he did make a difference.

would be ecstatic if dylan got even close to there.

I'm solidly in the " not sure he's gonna be more than a 3rd pair guy" column, but I'm hoping he proves me dead wrong and I'm served a heaping plate of crow. :laugh:

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Will he ever be a defenseman that can provide offense? Probably not
Will he ever be able to possess the puck for minutes on end? Probably not

but, I think he can establish himself as a player that is a 6'5 beast that can make a good first past, and opponents will at least think twice about holding on to the puck while streaking down his end of the ice along the boards.

Is it what any of us would have wanted out of a top 10 pick? absolutely not, but with the way the defense has looked like swiss cheese recently, I am excited watching him develop. If he develops into a reliable #4-6 defenseman that can be retained for cheap, its not he end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad