Dylan McIlrath Part IV: Wrath a Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
He is much better with the puck than I could have hoped for and if he can get a string of games together I feel his confidence will sky rocket. I hope AV takes the leash off him and lets him play his full style of game I think we all know he can play. To me has top 4 talent with a nasty side we havent seen since Barry Beck

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He is much better with the puck than I could have hoped for and if he can get a string of games together I feel his confidence will sky rocket. I hope AV takes the leash off him and lets him play his full style of game I think we all know he can play. To me has top 4 talent with a nasty side we havent seen since Barry Beck

The check versus Philly looked like Bubba Beck.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Of course McIlrath hasn't played a huge assortment of games, but in his time with the Rangers he ranks

1st in SCF%

2nd in High Danger SCF%

3rd in CF%

(all close)

6th in dCorsi (although this is heavily influenced by GP which leaves McI at a disadvantage)

He's passing the eye test too. Making good puck decisions, winning battles, skating well, good positioning.

This team has wanted/needed a young RHD for like 30 ****ing years, they finally get one, and they like never play him. I don't get it.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Of course McIlrath hasn't played a huge assortment of games, but in his time with the Rangers he ranks

1st in SCF%

2nd in High Danger SCF%

3rd in CF%

(all close)

6th in dCorsi (although this is heavily influenced by GP which leaves McI at a disadvantage)

He's passing the eye test too. Making good puck decisions, winning battles, skating well, good positioning.

This team has wanted/needed a young RHD for like 30 ****ing years, they finally get one, and they like never play him. I don't get it.

This.

The only rationale I can have is AV doesn't want to sit a vet in (Staal or Boyle)

He benches Boyle for "rest"

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This.

The only rationale I can have is AV doesn't want to sit a vet in (Staal or Boyle)

He benches Boyle for "rest"

Marc Staal deserves a nice season long benching but won't get it because Boyle's old and Staal shuts down top players apparently.

Sigh.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's kind of wacky that Dylan ****ing McIlrath who I've **** on for years is the light at the end of the tunnel. It looks like I may have been wrong. I like watching him play. He can skate and play physically.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Hopefully he shows that he should warrant a full-time spot. Not that he hasn't already, but doing it over a prolonged stretch could cement his status.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Big opportunity for Dylan coming up. He just needs to continue to play his game like he has his entire professional career (AHL and NHL). He is showing everyone so far why I was high on him in the AHL. He plays a very steady game and likes to dole out punishment, something this team seriously lacks.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Klein going down is a big reason why I like I having the 7 we have on this roster. I wouldn't have liked being in a situation dealing one of Staal/Girardi/Boyle and then having an injury and Diaz is the guy taking a spot for a prolonged period. I dont think he has what it takes for his overall game. He may be serviceable but I much prefer having the capability of Mcilrath stepping in. I dont think Skjei should be rushed either. Last year having all those injuries on the blueline led to Kostka getting games in and that looked like the circus was in town. Simmons at the end of the year for a small bit too.

The Rangers are managing from a position of strength.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well Klein's injury fits with the type of scenario we discussed a few weeks back. Assuming it isn't serious and requires a few games rest, this could be McIlrath's defining opportunity.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's kind of wacky that Dylan ****ing McIlrath who I've **** on for years is the light at the end of the tunnel. It looks like I may have been wrong. I like watching him play. He can skate and play physically.

The key is his skating. And it's why so many of his defenders constantly told the detractors to watch him play. The kid can skate well for his size.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The key is his skating. And it's why so many of his defenders constantly told the detractors to watch him play. The kid can skate well for his size.

his growing confidence certainly helps. the play where he cut off Keith friggin Yandle from recovering the puck, to skate with it and turn it the other way, is a microism of how McIlrath's game has improved.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don't think there's a person on this board, regardless of their opinion on fighting, that doesn't want him to punch Matt Martin's face multiple times tomorrow

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY

He worked with Barbara Underhill, no? Would be interested to know exactly when his skating staunchly improved. I know it was a knock on him in his draft year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He worked with Barbara Underhill, no? Would be interested to know exactly when his skating staunchly improved. I know it was a knock on him in his draft year.

No he did not. Skating was a strength, at least straight ahead speed. He has always been a good skater, just needed his body to catch up to his height like most bigger guys. It's the lateral movement and turns that have improved.

This is why I never understood why people disliked him as a prospect. People saw 6'5 and assumed bad skater. Not the case. Offensive upside? Probably a legitimate knock but he brings something most other players don't.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For me, skating isn't as a big of concern so much as speed of the game. I'm curious to see how he does over a prolonged period, like the next two or three weeks.

Personally, I think this next stretch will go a long way in deciding whether the Rangers still project him as a long term asset, or whether they are going to be looking elsewhere.

I'm also curious to see how reactions go around here. It seems that McIlrath is one of those players who detractors will never be statisfied with, and supporters will defend at almost an indecent level.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
his growing confidence certainly helps. the play where he cut off Keith friggin Yandle from recovering the puck, to skate with it and turn it the other way, is a microism of how McIlrath's game has improved.

And this is why he's gotta play over Boyle when everyone is healthy. We have a really good prospect in him and he's gotten better every game.

No he did not. Skating was a strength, at least straight ahead speed. He has always been a good skater, just needed his body to catch up to his height like most bigger guys. It's the lateral movement and turns that have improved.

This is why I never understood why people disliked him as a prospect. People saw 6'5 and assumed bad skater. Not the case. Offensive upside? Probably a legitimate knock but he brings something most other players don't.

Yeah, he was always a good skater in juniors. He had a crappy stride and all (very awkward looking), but he could always move well.

This is why guys like offda, etc. always threw me. They always ripped on his skating. It made zero sense. The guy had good wheels from the time we drafted him. Well, good for his size. He is a league average skater in a 6'5" monstrous body. That's pretty awesome.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
For me, skating isn't as a big of concern so much as speed of the game. I'm curious to see how he does over a prolonged period, like the next two or three weeks.

Personally, I think this next stretch will go a long way in deciding whether the Rangers still project him as a long term asset, or whether they are going to be looking elsewhere.

I'm also curious to see how reactions go around here. It seems that McIlrath is one of those players who detractors will never be statisfied with, and supporters will defend at almost an indecent level.

I started life as a detractor of his. Well, not to the extent of the insane detractors, but I was pretty displeased with the pick. His development in the WHL was very encouraging to me. As was his improvement in Hartford. One thing that I love about the kid is that he wants to learn. You can tell that he just wants to be out there and is a student of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad