Dylan McIlrath Part IV: Wrath a Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's not wrong at all. Not in the least. Not sure why you would think that. Most defenseman can play both sides. Not all of them can play both sides as good as their main side, but most can play both.

I think its fair to say the vast majority cannot play their off side as well as their natural side.

Thats why "well maybe someone can do it" is such a poor argument when sitting any of our LD right now.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Of course there is no way to cut out ALL of the cheap stuff that happens, but it becomes significantly reduced if there is the threat of retribution.
For example, when was the last time the Rangers played Wash and Tom Wilson didn't run a player or two per period? Yup, when McIlrath was dressed against Washington. If you feel that is just coincidence, I feel you are in denial.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Staal literally does nothing well, or at least that has been the case through the first quarter of the season.

obvi this is a tangent from Mcilrath
but i dont get it
Staal is +9, Yandle is +4, Staal plays against tougher lines, but Staal "does nothing well"?
lets agree to disagrree

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
McIlrath isn't playing tonight against the Predators (skating as extra at practice today). I wonder if he'll get a nod on Wednesday before the back-to-back this weekend.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
obvi this is a tangent from Mcilrath
but i dont get it
Staal is +9, Yandle is +4, Staal plays against tougher lines, but Staal "does nothing well"?
lets agree to disagrree

Plus minus is not a good argument. This team is fifth in goals per game and Lundqvist leads the world in every major goaltending category except for shutouts.

Staal can't defend, can't pass, can't shoot and can't skate. He almost single handedly lost the game on Saturday in less than 30 seconds across two shifts.

If all players were handled equally, he wouldn't be playing right now.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Plus minus is not a good argument. This team is fifth in goals per game and Lundqvist leads the world in every major goaltending category except for shutouts. Staal can't defend, can't pass, can't shoot and can't skate. He almost single handedly lost the game on Saturday in less than 30 seconds across two shifts.

to me "If all players were handled equally" Yandle might not be playing right now
His terrible play contributed mightily to loss in Tampa.

I'd take Staal over Yandle in our zone, or defending a break-in, always.
Is every play perfect? No.
Its a hard job, against skilled opponents, and every play can go sideways.

The whole team needs to play better in our own zone.
And take more shots.
And score on the PP.

so we do totally agree that Hank is by far the main reason for our outstanding start. Then Zucc.
Everyone else is underperforming,
although Captain Mac has been much better lately, almost at '13-14 form

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Plus minus is not a good argument. This team is fifth in goals per game and Lundqvist leads the world in every major goaltending category except for shutouts.

Staal can't defend, can't pass, can't shoot and can't skate. He almost single handedly lost the game on Saturday in less than 30 seconds across two shifts.

Staal isn't playing well. You are being dramatic.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To say that Staal hasn't been playing well is a massive understatement. He's been the worst defenseman on this team by a long shot, maybe the worst player overall.

to me "If all players were handled equally" Yandle might not be playing right now
His terrible play contributed mightily to loss in Tampa.

I'd take Staal over Yandle in our zone, or defending a break-in, always.
Is every play perfect? No.
Its a hard job, against skilled opponents, and every play can go sideways.

The whole team needs to play better in our own zone.
And take more shots.
And score on the PP.

so we do totally agree that Hank is by far the main reason for our outstanding start. Then Zucc.
Everyone else is underperforming,
although Captain Mac has been much better lately, almost at '13-14 form

Yandle had one mistake which lead to a shot that should have been stopped anyway. That doesn't forgive the miscue, but he hasn't been awful from day 1 like Staal has been.

Seriously when was the last time Staal had a good game? Even by his standards?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think its fair to say the vast majority cannot play their off side as well as their natural side.

Thats why "well maybe someone can do it" is such a poor argument when sitting any of our LD right now.

I wouldn't say that at all. In fact, the polar opposite is true. I would actually say that it's fair to say that the vast majority can play on their off side. It's really not nearly as tough as you make it out to sound. For example, left-handed defensemen practically have to be able to do it as they outnumber right-handed guys by a good margin.

We have the luxury of having a well-balanced defense group so we don't generally need guys playing on their off side.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's wrong to say 'many guys' relative to all D play their off hand. Very few guys actually do.
And, it's usually PMD/OFD who do.

Think about it. Dylan McIlrath having to break out of the zone by making a play on his backhand, making a D to D pass on his back hand, trying to keep the puck alive at the line on his backhand.

That most likely would not work.

I've seen Danny Boyle play his off-side earlier in his career prior to NYR. But, then again, he actually has some hands and stick skills and is good passer.

McDonagh and/or Yandle might be able to get away playing on the off-hand.

By the way, I already commented on this post but wanted to point out another fallacy (in bold).

A right-handed defenseman wouldn't be making many plays on his backhand on the blue-line. Instead, he'd keep his left arm facing the opposing net. He'd be making more backhanded plays along the boards than in open ice, actually. He would almost never make a pass from his backhand. He'd almost always be turned with his left arm facing the net and make the pass normally.

As a right-handed player, I never had an issue playing the left side. In fact, I preferred it.

I do agree that you'd more want a puck handling guy to play the off side, though. But that wouldn't be an issue with McD, Yandle, or Boyle. Which is why there is no excuse not to play Mac a bit more. The side he plays on really doesn't matter.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
By the way, I already commented on this post but wanted to point out another fallacy (in bold).

A right-handed defenseman wouldn't be making many plays on his backhand on the blue-line. Instead, he'd keep his left arm facing the opposing net. He'd be making more backhanded plays along the boards than in open ice, actually. He would almost never make a pass from his backhand. He'd almost always be turned with his left arm facing the net and make the pass normally.

As a right-handed player, I never had an issue playing the left side. In fact, I preferred it.

I do agree that you'd more want a puck handling guy to play the off side, though. But that wouldn't be an issue with McD, Yandle, or Boyle. Which is why there is no excuse not to play Mac a bit more. The side he plays on really doesn't matter.

Everybody is different. As a left handed player whether I'm at wing or D, I almost always prefer the Right side... not sure why, it just feels more comfortable. Some things are harder--going down on a 2-on-1 is tough, as you have to turn sideways/backwards to "catch" the puck on your stick, and you do have to backhand the puck to keep it in on the blueline, but honestly, that's part of hockey.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I wouldn't say that at all. In fact, the polar opposite is true. I would actually say that it's fair to say that the vast majority can play on their off side. It's really not nearly as tough as you make it out to sound. For example, left-handed defensemen practically have to be able to do it as they outnumber right-handed guys by a good margin.

We have the luxury of having a well-balanced defense group so we don't generally need guys playing on their off side.

Can play their off side vs. can play their off side as well/better than their natural side are two very different things. Is it impossible? No. Is it easy? No - if just for the difficulty that arises from making a play off the boards.

Anyway, AV has been pretty militant about the LHD/RHD thing, so I severely doubt this would happen in the first place.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Yeah the only defensemen I'd experiment with on their offsides are McDonagh and Yandle. And even then I'm not sure I'm crazy about it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Boyle has been very good lately, and it seems like AV will only sit Boyle for McIlrath.

Sucks for McIlrath, he'll probably only play in b2b situations.

You'd wonder if AV would be willing to sit Staal for a "rest" and insert McIlrath, but he doesn't like his D playing their off side. The only 2 I think who could play opposite side are McD and Yandle because of their skating ability, but even Yandle I'd prefer on his left side. So that leaves McD. Still, that doesn't do anything for McIlrath who is a RH shot so it'd have to be a RHD playing the left side.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Should play next game. Showed more confidence but can't stay sharp playing 1 game every 2 or 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad