Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think for right now

McD-G
Yandle-Klein
Staal-McIlrath

First pairing is obvious. They've actually done a pretty good job the last 10-15 games. Yandle is playing a lot better than Staal, so thats an easy decision right now. Klein's been bad the last 10-15 games. He hasn't played well with Staal and he hasn't played well with McDonagh. Put him back with Yandle. They've done well together before. Staal and McIlrath get third pair minutes, Staal's not deserving of more than that right now and McIlrath still is only a rookie who hasn't proven that much other than he's competent at the NHL level.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He needs reps. Just like the last time he played a back-to-back, he was infinitely more comfortable in the second game. Which is a great thing this time around, because he was quite good against Boston as well.

He can be Mike Sauer plus a mean streak, and less a bit of the skill Sauer had.

Keep playing him. He's earned it.

That hit today was textbook beautiful, but that entire shift was really fantastic. The exclamation point was at the end, but McIlrath started and finished that play.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
He needs reps. Just like the last time he played a back-to-back, he was infinitely more comfortable in the second game. Which is a great thing this time around, because he was quite good against Boston as well.

He can be Mike Sauer plus a mean streak, and less a bit of the skill Sauer had.

Keep playing him. He's earned it.

That hit today was textbook beautiful, but that entire shift was really fantastic. The exclamation point was at the end, but McIlrath started and finished that play.

It was the greatest shift I think I have seen from a Rangers d-man this season.

Starts out with the puck in his own zone, turns around the net, skates it up and breaks it out, then when the player dumps it in around the boards, McIlrath slowly approaches Schultz, and the second he touches the puck, BAM! He's down for the count. Then, Luke Schenn comes in to the rescue, and McIlrath beats him down. :laugh:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Did AV have anything to say about his game today? Couldn't find much in the beat guys write ups but they're not great.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He, just like Etem, deserve more ice time based on their performances these past two games. He did have one or two missed assignments today, but that stuff gets cleaned up with more ice time as he gets more comfortable playing.

Vickers8

three months from now you guys are all going to love this kid.. I don't want to jinx it but he is progressing nicely and soon enough if playing a regular shift he will be a force. When's the last time you saw a player fly backwards from a hit like that. The fight was a bonus but the hit is HOCKEY.. By the way i missed watching all the gme because of an event with Brian Mullen but did the FLyer get the 2 - 5- 10 package like we got yesterday ?

Nice to have a guy llike this, we haven't had a guy like this since Beuke and he fights better than Beuke, he can play too, but in Ranger history you can count on one hand how many times we had a monster who would stick up for his teammates, reminds me of Ron Harris

Vickers8

With Stepan out, how about playing Boyle as a forward...his weakness has been on defense anyhow. With more of an offense-minded role he might flourish. Also a little insurance in case McIrath takes a penalty.
I love what McIlrath brings.

Not a bad idea

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just for the record Dylan has only had a negative plus/minus in 1 of his 6 games this season. Yesterday he was not on for any goals against. Against Boston he was a plus 1.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Stay on topic, or you'll receive a thread ban at the very least. We've had to deal way too much flaming and trolling in this thread.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I've really liked Dylan's game...iwouldnt take him out of the lineup.

Here's my issue. I wouldn't take him out either but I'd also look to detonate the pairings which they kind of did yesterday. McD and Girardi cannot be together and you absolutely cannot put Girardi with Staal. You also want to get Yandle more minutes and that leaves you sort of with the pairings yesterday which were...

McD - Klein
Yandle - Girardi
Staal - McIlrath

That 3rd pairing can be particularly worrisome in transitioning out of the zone. Staal has been a disaster this season and we know he's terrible at that. McIlrath in his short sample has shown he can be effective in the short and quick pass out of the zone but I don't know if he can be relied upon to do that without having some hiccups. Having Boyle out of the lineup really throws off the balance of having puck moving/offensive defensemen and defensive/stay at home/whatever you wanna call them defensemen.

They'd never do it but I'd really look to scratch one of Staal or Girardi either for rest or to get their heads out of their *****. Boyle's been pretty mediocre as well but I don't think it's great to have him sitting multiple games either. Not sure who you'd play on the left side if you scratch Staal though. Klein has done it in the past, correct?

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
Nice to have a guy llike this, we haven't had a guy like this since Beuke and he fights better than Beuke, he can play too, but in Ranger history you can count on one hand how many times we had a monster who would stick up for his teammates, reminds me of Ron Harris

Ron Harris!!?? Nice. :yo:

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I've really liked Dylan's game...iwouldnt take him out of the lineup.

Agreed. He's showing good upside and losing a year of development in the press box would be extremely bad, particularly after injuries have already reduced the number of games he has under his belt at this point.

BarbaraAlphanse

Here's my issue. I wouldn't take him out either but I'd also look to detonate the pairings which they kind of did yesterday. McD and Girardi cannot be together and you absolutely cannot put Girardi with Staal. You also want to get Yandle more minutes and that leaves you sort of with the pairings yesterday which were...

McD - Klein
Yandle - Girardi
Staal - McIlrath

That 3rd pairing can be particularly worrisome in transitioning out of the zone. Staal has been a disaster this season and we know he's terrible at that. McIlrath in his short sample has shown he can be effective in the short and quick pass out of the zone but I don't know if he can be relied upon to do that without having some hiccups. Having Boyle out of the lineup really throws off the balance of having puck moving/offensive defensemen and defensive/stay at home/whatever you wanna call them defensemen.

They'd never do it but I'd really look to scratch one of Staal or Girardi either for rest or to get their heads out of their *****. Boyle's been pretty mediocre as well but I don't think it's great to have him sitting multiple games either. Not sure who you'd play on the left side if you scratch Staal though. Klein has done it in the past, correct?

McD-Klein
Yandle-McI
Boyle-G

That's the best we can do.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Just for the record Dylan has only had a negative plus/minus in 1 of his 6 games this season. Yesterday he was not on for any goals against. Against Boston he was a plus 1.

I attribute that to good coaching, theyve put him in the right situations while keeping him away from the other teams top lines.

I've liked his play and don't mind him sitting so much, as long as he gets a game or two in like he did this past week.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Mcilrath has been exactly as advertised could use some work but my goodness the size and bone crushing hits he puts out is just beautiful deserves more games to acclimate

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Mcilrath has been exactly as advertised could use some work but my goodness the size and bone crushing hits he puts out is just beautiful deserves more games to acclimate

You can tell he's getting much more confident with his positioning and movement.

His hits always separate the puck from the man too which I love. Once his teammates really get used to him that'll be great for team possession.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I would be lying if I said I didn't love the big hits and sticking up for teammates.

If he can do that whilst playing even average defense, he's an asset.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Man, I'm pretty excited for him this year. Really only young guy on this team, it would be interesting to watch him develop.

He's a month older than Hayes and only 6 months younger than Lindberg.

I agree, though. He's looked more impressive than I thought and with the shaky state of the D I'd love to give him a permanent spot and watch him grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad