Dylan McIlrath Part IV: Wrath a Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Isles fan lurking here... I think DM gives the NYR an element they have been lacking and concerns me. If Martin and Clutter get up to their usual shenanigans I think DM is going to make one of them pay a steep price.

From outsiders perspective I think one of the few Rangers weaknesses the past few years is that they don't seem like a team that is physically unpleasant to play against.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
To all the posters here who claim that intimidation and deterrence means nothing the above quotes from current NHL players proves how wrong you are.

Very few guys actually like to get drilled into the boards - many will do everything to avoid it. I wanna have the guy on my team that can inflict damage to other players by hitting them.

Very interested to see who takes a run at McIlrath tomorrow nite. Notice that no one from Boston or Philly really tried to nail him. Wonder if Clutterbuck or MM will take a run at him and how that will work out!:amazed:

Neither one of them will do more with dylan than talk otherwise they might be eating thru a straw. Especially Martin who rarely fights or goes after someone his own size.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Biggest opportunity for Dylan's career here, obviously. I think his best games have come in the latter half of back-to-backs thus far this season, where he plays two in a row and gets comfy in his spot. Knowing he's going to be in the lineup for 2-3 straight weeks should help him mentally here big time.

If he keeps playing a sound positional game, and moving the puck quickly, he's gonna be everything we want. Even if it's just collecting the puck and dishing it to Yandle, that's a fine decision for him to make at this stage.

Any physical dominance he provides is just icing on the cake at this point. I have big hopes for this kid, and I'm glad, thus far, he's been succeeding. Time to take it by the horns and give AV a tough decision when Klein comes back [not necessarily between McIlrath and Klein, before you all freak out].

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Biggest opportunity for Dylan's career here, obviously. I think his best games have come in the latter half of back-to-backs thus far this season, where he plays two in a row and gets comfy in his spot. Knowing he's going to be in the lineup for 2-3 straight weeks should help him mentally here big time.

If he keeps playing a sound positional game, and moving the puck quickly, he's gonna be everything we want. Even if it's just collecting the puck and dishing it to Yandle, that's a fine decision for him to make at this stage.

Any physical dominance he provides is just icing on the cake at this point. I have big hopes for this kid, and I'm glad, thus far, he's been succeeding. Time to take it by the horns and give AV a tough decision when Klein comes back [not necessarily between McIlrath and Klein, before you all freak out].

Agree with all of this but I think you're underselling what he's done with the puck. He looks for open lanes, he moves his feet to open his options with the puck, he's not just throwing it to Yandle every time he has it; he's using his smarts to survey his options.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Agree with all of this but I think you're underselling what he's done with the puck. He looks for open lanes, he moves his feet to open his options with the puck, he's not just throwing it to Yandle every time he has it; he's using his smarts to survey his options.

That was not my intention at all. I was using that Yandle sentence as a worst case scenario panic move for Dylan, who for all intents and purposes, has been one of the best Rangers d-men at moving the puck when he's in the lineup.

The shift he was on for when he destroyed Schultz and then Schenn was a perfect microcosm of how good Dylan has been this season. Collects the puck, calmly takes it behind his own net, looks up, and makes a pass. Follows the play up ice and DESTROYS Schultz. That was one of the best plays I've seen out of our D-men this season; if not the best.

Incredible.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I could watch that sequence all day. Hit was the hardest I've seen from a Ranger in awhile.

Would love to see him get some time with McD. Moves the puck better than any defenseman on the team not named Yandle or McDonagh and can clear the front of the net unlike...anyone else on the Rangers. He's a little slow but seems to be responsible with his pinches.

Edit: I guess Boyle can move the puck well too lol. Forgot about him.

Last edited:

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013

Incredible.

He's so strong man.

I remember watching the fight for the first time and Schenn has him absolutely tied up. Schenn is a strong dude as well, and Dylan just peels Schenn's arm out of a headlock and starts unloading at the :22s mark. You could legit see the strength hardcore at that moment.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hopefully McIlrath bouncing some players around with his physical play will be contagious for some of the other players to start finishing their checks. So many players turn away from finishing their checks. They don't have to put the player through the boards. Miller and Kreider can be much more of a physical presence.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Hopefully McIlrath bouncing some players around with his physical play will be contagious for some of the other players to start finishing their checks. So many players turn away from finishing their checks. They don't have to put the player through the boards. Miller and Kreider can be much more of a physical presence.

They have to stop playing scared, scared of taking too many penalties.

DM has played well but it's still on the job training for this guy, the coaches have done a good job with him I trust what they're doing more than I trust DM. Short term it's a good thing getting him involved, hope Kleins back soon.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

don't count on it.

this team is full of big guys who are fast and all, but they are NOT a physical bunch. they are a speedy, big, and mostly finesse type team.

guys like kreider, hayes, nash, flub stalberg and staal are all monsters but there isn't a mean bone in any of their collective bodies. they are all mostly creme puffs who deliver their fluffiness like a cute kitty. guys like zuc, stoll and even dom moore all play with more grit than those others- at half their size.

mcilrath changes that for sure. but does that change translate to wins. not so sure.

last i checked, thats more offensive puck possession, goal scoring and having a lethal power play.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Great post.

If he shines tonight it goes a long way for him in the eyes of his teammates, his coaches and EVERY NYR FAN on the planet.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
That was not my intention at all. I was using that Yandle sentence as a worst case scenario panic move for Dylan, who for all intents and purposes, has been one of the best Rangers d-men at moving the puck when he's in the lineup.

The shift he was on for when he destroyed Schultz and then Schenn was a perfect microcosm of how good Dylan has been this season. Collects the puck, calmly takes it behind his own net, looks up, and makes a pass. Follows the play up ice and DESTROYS Schultz. That was one of the best plays I've seen out of our D-men this season; if not the best.

Incredible.

Wow. Missed that game while on a cruise.

Thanks for sharing.

Christ, he obliterated Schultz. :yo:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think I see him as a 3/4 guy. A tougher version of Orpik. I never felt Orpik was ever truly a top pairing guy, but I can see a lot of the same game in McIlrath.

I'd be happy if he were a second pairing guy. Not quite sold on that yet, but it's possible.

Defensemen, especially young defenseman can be tough to judge in small bursts. It's only after seeing a guy play for an extended period that the limitations begin to stand out. It's why guys go from being seen as future cornerstone defensemen to being traded within the course of two years.

Like I've always said, I don't doubt he'll play. Not quite sure what level, or if it'll be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad