Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not suggesting we sign him right now, as this will all come to head in the summer. Just thinking ahead, and I did say if he continues to play well.

if he does, what is his next contract?
If Chevy can get him on a number everyone is comfortable with I say sign him now/near future. They would have had many viewings already and he is a known quantity around the league and soon they would get a handle on his willingness to be part of the team. It is not like a prospect they are waiting on to see if he develops as hoped.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Chevy can get him on a number everyone is comfortable with I say sign him now/near future. They would have had many viewings already and he is a known quantity around the league and soon they would get a handle on his willingness to be part of the team. It is not like a prospect they are waiting on to see if he develops as hoped.
Very true. I was thinking fit, but yes, he has played enough NHL games for Jets management to know what his game is all about.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Very true. I was thinking fit, but yes, he has played enough NHL games for Jets management to know what his game is all about.
I get the point with fit, but this D group will evolve over the next couple years. I'm holding out hope that Chevy can find a way to get a young top 4 RHD with Dumba being at the top of my wish list. Imagine a D group that looked like this going into the playoffs and next season:

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Niku - DeMelo
Poolman

Heinola as an option, but probably better off with another year of development.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I get the point with fit, but this D group will evolve over the next couple years. I'm holding out hope that Chevy can find a way to get a young top 4 RHD with Dumba being at the top of my wish list. Imagine a D group that looked like this going into the playoffs and next season:

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Niku - DeMelo
Poolman

I’m not as high on Dumba as you, but I see where you’re going. I like his age and impact to the pp.

My preference would be a RHD like Josh Manson, but I don’t want to give up the assets to acquire him either. I also think the Jets try to bring back Beaulieu, and a guy like Hamonic may want to sign to come home as a FA. Hammer is my ideal 3rd pairing guy, if you get him for $3M, or preferably less.

Maybe next year you run:

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Niku/Beaulieu-Hamonic

PB: Niku/Beaulieu/Dahlstrom (signed), Poolman

Defensively we are a lot better than the start of this year, theoretically, but would lack an offensive option. So Niku goes in on 3rd pair, 2nd pp unit, over Beaulieu most nights.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Agree, we know we need to fill our top 4 out for next season and if you can sign him before he fully fulfills that role for us, you might be able to get him signed at a cheaper cost.

I would think a contract could be done in the 3.5 to 4 mill per range would get it done, maybe a bit below?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Niku - DeMelo
Poolman

I really like the looks of this, to be honest. Once Heinola makes way, be it next year or the year after...

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Demelo

What a D unit that could be.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I really like the looks of this, to be honest. Once Heinola makes way, be it next year or the year after...

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Demelo

What a D unit that could be.
Though I like their skill sets, only one guy has size. I’m not sure PoMo would like it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He's only played 5-6 games with Jets but I am completely sold on him. He's looked great and been a great fit on the team, even when playing in less than optimal conditions being Beaulieu's partner and having to play big minutes against top competition with him. Mo seems to be a fan as well considering how much he is being used. If I were Chevy I'd start working on an extension ASAP. 3-4 years at ~3 million per would be great value for us. He really stabilizes that second pairing esp if he has a better partner on the left side.

I believe the issue in Ottawa was he was looking for 4 year term or more, I am more than willing to offer that to him. He's young enough that it's not going to be a problem and we don't exactly have anyone in the minors knocking the door down to take over that RD spot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's only played 5-6 games with Jets but I am completely sold on him. He's looked great and been a great fit on the team, even when playing in less than optimal conditions being Beaulieu's partner and having to play big minutes against top competition with him. Mo seems to be a fan as well considering how much he is being used. If I were Chevy I'd start working on an extension ASAP. 3-4 years at ~3 million per would be great value for us. He really stabilizes that second pairing esp if he has a better partner on the left side.

I believe the issue in Ottawa was he was looking for 4 year term or more, I am more than willing to offer that to him. He's young enough that it's not going to be a problem and we don't exactly have anyone in the minors knocking the door down to take over that RD spot.
I agree. He's a really steady player that would complement an offensive player like Morrissey. He would also likely be a good option next to a rookie like Samberg. I think he could manage top a top pair role with Morrissey. I'd give him a "career" contract at this age, maybe something like 5/6 years at 3.5-4M. Gives him security, and the Jets have a solid RD through near peak years. Worst case scenario is that he slides down to 3rd pair in a few seasons, but with a cap that is likely to rise in a couple of seasons, that shouldn't be a problem. If the Jets front-load the salary they should be able to move him in a few years if necessary. Expansion draft is a consideration. If DeMelo is re-signed, Jets would probably want to move Niku rather than lose him. Or maybe they don't see huge value in Niku and wouldn't mind if he is all they lose in the expansion draft.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. He's a really steady player that would complement an offensive player like Morrissey. He would also likely be a good option next to a rookie like Samberg. I think he could manage top a top pair role with Morrissey. I'd give him a "career" contract at this age, maybe something like 5/6 years at 3.5-4M. Gives him security, and the Jets have a solid RD through near peak years. Worst case scenario is that he slides down to 3rd pair in a few seasons, but with a cap that is likely to rise in a couple of seasons, that shouldn't be a problem. If the Jets front-load the salary they should be able to move him in a few years if necessary. Expansion draft is a consideration. If DeMelo is re-signed, Jets would probably want to move Niku rather than lose him. Or maybe they don't see huge value in Niku and wouldn't mind if he is all they lose in the expansion draft.
Agreed on signing DeMelo long term, $3.5 for 5 or 6 years sounds about right. Lock up Pionk as well and you have 3 good defenseman in their mid 20's all locked up long term. With the XD looming I don't see us adding a veteran defenseman either through trade or UFA. The Jets will depend on prospect development to fill out the roster. Samberg and Heinola look like sure things and after that it is a bit of a question mark at this point. Also agreed that Niku is almost certainly left unprotected in the XD if he is still with the organization.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've been quite happy with his play. He's come as advertised.

Definitely get him locked down to a deal.

Reactions: Jet

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Agreed on signing DeMelo long term, $3.5 for 5 or 6 years sounds about right. Lock up Pionk as well and you have 3 good defenseman in their mid 20's all locked up long term. With the XD looming I don't see us adding a veteran defenseman either through trade or UFA. The Jets will depend on prospect development to fill out the roster. Samberg and Heinola look like sure things and after that it is a bit of a question mark at this point. Also agreed that Niku is almost certainly left unprotected in the XD if he is still with the organization.

At $3.5M per, why didn't we just sign and keep Chiarot?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

I wouldn't mind even if it was a slightly higher AAV/term, say $3.5M and 5 year.

EDIT: I see others have suggested similar :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd offer him 16.5m over 5 years (3.3m AAV) with a deal that looks something like
5.5m
4m
3m
2m
2m
Pay more now in actual salary but keep the AAV lower.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad