Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I'd offer him 16.5m over 5 years (3.3m AAV) with a deal that looks something like
5.5m
4m
3m
2m
2m
Pay more now in actual salary but keep the AAV lower.

Well that contract break down is not allowed under the CBA.....

5 mill
4 mill
2.5 mill
2.5mill
2.5 mill

would be same 16 . 5 mill payout and would be an allowable break down under the CBA....

I like DeMelo and would like to see him play with Morresay. In Ottawa Chabot played his best hockey when teamed up with DeMelo.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
DeMelo would be crazy to extend now without testing the UFA market. That, or he needs a better agent.
Free agency is a game of musical chairs. There are quite a few UFA D available. If he gets a nice offer from the Jets with some term, he might see it as a good idea to take the sure thing rather than hoping for something better. He'd be in a good situation with the Jets, all things considered. Lots of good teams won't have much cap space available for free agency.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Free agency is a game of musical chairs. There are quite a few UFA D available. If he gets a nice offer from the Jets with some term, he might see it as a good idea to take the sure thing rather than hoping for something better. He'd be in a good situation with the Jets, all things considered. Lots of good teams won't have much cap space available for free agency.
I think teams will also be planning for the XD at the end of next year. Getting veterans on a cheap multi-year deal to ultimately expose them to Seattle could be the MO for some teams.

I don’t think the Jets would expose DeMelo if he signs here. That may be another reason to sign, if you like the team and city.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

He could still sign that nice offer from the Jets if he doesn't get a better offer from another team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed on signing DeMelo long term, $3.5 for 5 or 6 years sounds about right. Lock up Pionk as well and you have 3 good defenseman in their mid 20's all locked up long term. With the XD looming I don't see us adding a veteran defenseman either through trade or UFA. The Jets will depend on prospect development to fill out the roster. Samberg and Heinola look like sure things and after that it is a bit of a question mark at this point. Also agreed that Niku is almost certainly left unprotected in the XD if he is still with the organization.

DeMelo is about to turn 27, so I think the top term should be 5 years. 4 would be better if he is happy with that. But no problem with 5 if that is what it takes. Maybe he takes 5x3.5 instead of 4x4. :thumbu:

I'm satisfied that he is worth retaining on a fair to both sides contract.

Reactions: ulf

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Because we didn't have the cap space this year. We'll have plenty of cap space next season and beyond with the end of Kulikov and Buff contracts.

That too, but also as VGER points out, there is handedness. Also, I think DeMelo is more solid/reliable defensively.

Reactions: surixon

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well that contract break down is not allowed under the CBA.....

5 mill
4 mill
2.5 mill
2.5mill
2.5 mill

would be same 16 . 5 mill payout and would be an allowable break down under the CBA....

I like DeMelo and would like to see him play with Morresay. In Ottawa Chabot played his best hockey when teamed up with DeMelo.
I didn't realize that...what is the rule?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Chevy offers him x amount of dollars before free agency and he checks out free agency, I don't think Chevy keeps that offer on the table.
I think offering him a front loaded deal to entice him to sign is the way to go. I offer him nothing until the Jets have played their last game of the season though.
If DeMelo is our 3D in a couple of years, we have a strong right side.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So Chevy can overpay for the next Kulikov? I'm pretty sure the Jets don't win that game.

I'm not in favour of it. I'm just pointing out that if DeMelo chooses to go to the market, Jets could do the same. It is a 2 sided coin.

I think that if Chevy makes him a fair offer there is a good chance he will sign here. I would like to see that done ASAP now.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So Chevy can overpay for the next Kulikov? I'm pretty sure the Jets don't win that game.
So you advocate for DeMelo to test FA but not for the Jets to look to FA, but also suggest they could sign DeMelo to a previously offered deal, but in FA after all his other options turn out to be not as good. Would this qualify as overpaying for the next Kulikov?

Your argument seems to be based on overwhelming cynicism, which really isn't an argument.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He could still sign that nice offer from the Jets if he doesn't get a better offer from another team.
He would have to take the risk that the Jets move on and sign another UFA D. I think there's a good chance he gets a nice offer from the Jets, and that he'll sign.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not in favour of it. I'm just pointing out that if DeMelo chooses to go to the market, Jets could do the same. It is a 2 sided coin.

I think that if Chevy makes him a fair offer there is a good chance he will sign here. I would like to see that done ASAP now.
Agree. In an interview today, DeMelo said twice that he sees the Jets as a good fit for him. I think the Jets agree.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I didn't realize that...what is the rule?

on a multi year contract no one year can get less than 1/2 the amount in the highest year paid....

you had the 1 st year he received 5.5 mill and the last 2 years receiving 2 mill.....

I changed it that his highest year at 5 mill and the last 3 years at 2.5 mill.....no year less than 1/2 of the highest salary in the 5 year term....

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I am not saying anything about any one poster in particular but regarding the posters that say teams are or should be making moves for the XD, can you give me any examples of moves made prior to the Vegas XD?

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
There are a lot of players out there that value stability and certainty over a few extra bucks. Combined with the fact that we've got opportunity for him to play up in the lineup (and maybe compete for the cup in a bit) I think if we offer him something reasonable he'll take it. He doesn't seem like the type of guy that wants to deal testing the UFA market at the risk of losing out on that opportunity/stability, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad