Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he has career earnings of 3.9M (minus deductions). this is his first chance at UFA as a 27 year old after a solid season, he would be stupid not to explore options. The UFA class for RD is not that great either imo, other than Pietrangelo of course.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
he has career earnings of 3.9M (minus deductions). this is his first chance at UFA as a 27 year old after a solid season, he would be stupid not to explore options. The UFA class for RD is not that great either imo, other than Pietrangelo of course.

Well, I got ruthlessly attacked and vilified for suggesting this, let's see if you get the same response. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Conversely, he might not be as willing to risk giving up a solid deal offering him $15-20M. Remember, last off-season a bunch of players went to UFA and ended up on try-outs. The UFA market isn't very strong. Teams don't have much cap space and need to budget more for their young RFAs. If the Jets really like DeMelo more than other UFA targets like Hamonic, I think they'll be able to sign him before he gets to UFA status.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Whileee

May 29, 2010
he will sign with Toronto ;)
Leafs will have around $5M in cap space to fill 6 roster spots. Hard to imagine them outbidding the Jets for DeMelo, unless he has a lifelong dream of playing for the Leafs and is willing to give up millions in salary to live the dream.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Conversely, he might not be as willing to risk giving up a solid deal offering him $15-20M. Remember, last off-season a bunch of players went to UFA and ended up on try-outs. The UFA market isn't very strong. Teams don't have much cap space and need to budget more for their young RFAs. If the Jets really like DeMelo more than other UFA targets like Hamonic, I think they'll be able to sign him before he gets to UFA status.

Lots of teams can offer him a similar or better deal. I don't think Demelo will be at risk to end up on a PTO as you are portraying. He's 27 years old coming off a very solid year with a weak UFA RD class.

Reactions: hn777

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I really like the looks of this, to be honest. Once Heinola makes way, be it next year or the year after...

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Demelo

What a D unit that could be.
You guys forget Chisholm, who could be here ahead of Heinola or Samberg. And I don't really care for Dumba for the likely asking price.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
adolf-hitler-oh-nein-you-didnt-oh-no-you-didnt-germany-ghetto-1359416617n.gif

Reactions: jokesondee

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He’s on his third team already. I wouldn’t discount a desire to sign for a good term and avoid going to his fourth so quickly. If he sees a good fit with the Jets and a chance to be part of something for awhile, I think he’ll do it.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If there is chemistry with a Morrissey-DeMelo pairing, and his role continues to be playing in a top pairing against the other team’s best, that may be reason enough to sign a multi year deal and stay.

He might not get a role like that everywhere.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He’s on his third team already. I wouldn’t discount a desire to sign for a good term and avoid going to his fourth so quickly. If he sees a good fit with the Jets and a chance to be part of something for awhile, I think he’ll do it.
I agree. He's already mentioned about the Jets having a passioinate fan base and a tough building to play in...looking forward to a playoff race...talked about being impressed with them every time he played against them and how they were well-coached and how Hainsey talked highly about Winnipeg. He said he thinks Winnipeg has a bright future and he could see himself a part of that future.
sidenote... Eakin said that Stastny told him he would love it here and how it was a first class organization.
Playing him with JMo will up his value though. Chevy signs him before free agency for 20m over 5 years is my guess.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

I am in the belief that there won’t be too many big money signings and big trades the next year and a half and GMs try to maneuver both the Cap and the expansion draft. No point in a GM making a big splash only to lose a good asset in the ED. Some GMs have positioned themselves nicely (like Chevy, but some of that is luck with being able to write Buff off the books), but I think GMs are becoming wise to those big off season signings that could potentially become handcuffs like Erikson, Lucic etc. With RFAs demanding more money and controlling their future more than ever, I think we are going to see more and more good NHL free agents on PTOs and having to sign for less.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Despite what the on ice results say the league just set his value as a 3rd round pick, that doesn't scream a guy who's set to break the bank in UFA. :dunno:
Demelo is a great fit here, but as per usual, will get a little overvalued on this board.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

To some extent, it is an individual thing. It will be influenced by his personality and priorities. JMO, but I think a fair offer gets him here. I would like it sooner but he may wait until that talking week prior to July 1. Or he may go all the way to July 1 and see what kind of offers he gets.

I think 'fair offer' means something like 4x3.5-4. That would almost double, or slightly more than double his career earnings to date in a single year. But maybe teams are talking 5-6 years in that talking week. That would likely tempt him.

None of us knows, but I know I would like Chevy to make an effort to get it done ASAP.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
A smaller factor but a factor nonetheless is, I think that it helps us that the Expansion Draft is in 2022. DeMelo can be pretty much assured he will be protected if he resigns with us. He sure fits the profile of the type of defenseman drafted in the last expansion draft.

Top 4 minutes, a fair contract, and expansion draft protection on a team hopefully that won't have one of its best players with a large cap # retire a couple days before the season.

Reactions: scelaton

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To some extent, it is an individual thing. It will be influenced by his personality and priorities. JMO, but I think a fair offer gets him here. I would like it sooner but he may wait until that talking week prior to July 1. Or he may go all the way to July 1 and see what kind of offers he gets.

I think 'fair offer' means something like 4x3.5-4. That would almost double, or slightly more than double his career earnings to date in a single year. But maybe teams are talking 5-6 years in that talking week. That would likely tempt him.

None of us knows, but I know I would like Chevy to make an effort to get it done ASAP.
I think to get him now you likely need to offer the long term security of a 5-6 year deal. I'd do 6 X $3.5 - 3.75 M. He will be 33 at the end of that deal and most likely hasn't regressed to the point he isn't still earning that salary.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think to get him now you likely need to offer the long term security of a 5-6 year deal. I'd do 6 X $3.5 - 3.75 M. He will be 33 at the end of that deal and most likely hasn't regressed to the point he isn't still earning that salary.

I think 6 is too long - but I would rather give him that 6th year than have to bump up the AAV a lot. My thinking has been to go to 5 years to keep the AAV < 4.

But 6 years only takes him through his 32 YO season. He would turn 33 just at the end, so maybe 6 is OK. If that is what it takes, I would do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad