Player Discussion Dylan DeMelo

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Not necessarily, Chabot and Zaitsev are the only ones who are under contract at the moment. We need to expose a D.
The others who can be exposed are Lajoie, Jarvis and Englund.
I expect Englund will be gone by then which means we will have to have Lajoie and Jaros under contract. Can’t let them walk so probably both on one way deals.

You're forgetting Wolanin as well (assuming he's kept around same as Lajoie and Jaros).

If the expansion draft was a year earlier the team might run into the issue you've presented, but as is I think we're past the point of that being an issue with this team. "Worst" case scenario the team can take advantage of the fact they have space to spare and trade for another defender prior to expansion happening.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You're forgetting Wolanin as well (assuming he's kept around same as Lajoie and Jaros).

If the expansion draft was a year earlier the team might run into the issue you've presented, but as is I think we're past the point of that being an issue with this team. "Worst" case scenario the team can take advantage of the fact they have space to spare and trade for another defender prior to expansion happening.
I had Wolanin but don’t know what happened. Either way I don’t want to waste an asset to become expansion compliant.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I had Wolanin but don’t know what happened. Either way I don’t want to waste an asset to become expansion compliant.

Who said anything about wasting an asset? Either this team will have (at minimum) Chabot, Zaitsev, Wolanin, Lajoie and Jaros around for expansion (meaning they meet the requirements) or the team will make a move for piece they believe will be here long-term and can protect that piece instead.

The whole point is that the team isn't in a position where they need to throw away a pick just to meet expansion requirements since they have more than enough depth at every position (and the ability to make trades for pieces worth keeping between now and expansion).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I would sign him for 4x4 right now.
I am kind of in the 4 year camp too

The matches up nice with guys rolling off ELCs and needing to be paid. He might be a bottom pair over paid vet by that point but ya need guys like that with a young D

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
DeMelo deserves a long term contract. 4 million is definitely not too much for a reliable defenseman like him who is just entering his prime.

Reactions: Variable26

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
4 years is good but more like 2M per year.

You know....you kind of destroy your credibility with a post like that

I posted earlier today that thru 1 season plus 31 games DeMelo is averaging 19+ minutes a night and is plus 6. On this team over that time line that's crazy.

He won't be signing a 2M AAV deal

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You know....you kind of destroy your credibility with a post like that

I posted earlier today that thru 1 season plus 31 games DeMelo is averaging 19+ minutes a night and is plus 6. On this team over that time line that's crazy.

He won't be signing a 2M AAV deal
You’re probably right. I doubt he gets 3M on the open market but I may be low balling a bit.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Even more reason not to like the Zaitsev trade for me.....This is the guy that should have been our cost certainty option

Reactions: NB613

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
3yr -10M

He is a good, reliable player. His foot speed will become a problem soon

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Even more reason not to like the Zaitsev trade for me.....This is the guy that should have been our cost certainty option

Honestly think we can keep both. We're shedding even more salary next year.

Boedker is gone -4
Hainsey is gone - 3.5
Anderson is gone -4.75
Namestnikov is gone -3.25
Trade Tierney -3

Total 18.5M

Most of these guys are replaced internally.

You re-sign Duclair so +4M for him.
You re-sign Pageau +2M
You re-sign C. Brown +1.5M
+7M for Chabot
+1.5M for Paul

Total 16M

Whatever portion of the Callahan contract and the McArthur contract we're paying is off the books as well.

That leaves some space to fit Demelo without spending more than this season or just a little bit more.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Meh,we also need better defenders..specifically on the right side...Keep one trade one ,look to draft more

Sure, better would always be nice. No need to trade one until one of the kids shows that they are better, or at least ready to contest for a spot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
When it comes to this defence & the team's defencemen in general there are a lot of question marks with them. I prefer Wolanin & Lajoie on defence to Brannstrom as an example, both are bigger & can handle the NHL defenceman while at the same time contributing a little on offence. If Ottawa decides to go with Brannstrom & Thomson on defence in future they are going to be very small & soft on defence & get overwhelmed in the defensive zone.

Jaros is another guy that I'm just not sure about, while he is a decent skater & has a good shot & good size for a defenceman he bobbles the puck a lot. He isn't able to move it fast enough or make decisions quickly enough & often times gets caught in his own end. Hainsey, DeMello, Boro & Goloubef should be moved if they get any offers on them by the deadline & Zaitsev unfortunately is probably here for a while & could be untradeable. And with the exception of JBD Ottawa IMO is quite thin small & soft on defence.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
When it comes to this defence & the team's defencemen in general there are a lot of question marks with them. I prefer Wolanin & Lajoie on defence to Brannstrom as an example, both are bigger & can handle the NHL defenceman while at the same time contributing a little on offence. If Ottawa decides to go with Brannstrom & Thomson on defence in future they are going to be very small & soft on defence & get overwhelmed in the defensive zone.

Jaros is another guy that I'm just not sure about, while he is a decent skater & has a good shot & good size for a defenceman he bobbles the puck a lot. He isn't able to move it fast enough or make decisions quickly enough & often times gets caught in his own end. Hainsey, DeMello, Boro & Goloubef should be moved if they get any offers on them by the deadline & Zaitsev unfortunately is probably here for a while & could be untradeable. And with the exception of JBD Ottawa IMO is quite thin small & soft on defence.

Max Lajoie is 6'1 / 196lbs at age 22.
Lassi Thomson is 6'0 / 190lbs at age 19.

Get the heck out of here with these awful Thomson takes dude. Max Lajoie has averaged ~0.5 hits per game in his time in the NHL. There's literally nothing to suggest that Lajoie is going to be able to "handle" anything that Thomson can't.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Meh,we also need better defenders..specifically on the right side...Keep one trade one ,look to draft more
I like Demelo as Chabot’s partner. I know people want an upgrade but so much revolves around the partnership and trust. There are no guarantees a better individual RD would pair well with TC.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Demelo as a depth D. I'd resign him but I'd want the AAV closer to 3 than 4 over 3 or 4 Not sure he stays for that or even has a chance to.

So far I like Wolanin more than Brannstrom on LD . Its is really unfortunate Wolanin got hurt before he had a chance to show his stuff this year. For me on the Left side its Chabot and Wolanin on the left side in the top 4. (I realize Wolanin is older).. He is not only older though he is better so far.

On the right side we have JBD and Thompson coming and possibly Brannstrom can out play one of them on the right. I think Demelo will serve a role while those guys are getting ready to play in the NHL top 4. Zaitsev we may be stuck with but , if he plays the bottom 6 we can move on from Demelo when at least 1 of the other 2 are ready.

My preference would be to have 1 more physically opposing D on both the Left and the Right .. They have to be able to play, skate and move the puck. My perfect D would not consist of Chabot , Wolanin, Brannstrom on the left or JBD, Thompson, Brannstrom on the right. If I had to trade one of them today it would be Brannstrom and it could even be my greatest day depending on the return.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00