Player Discussion Dylan DeMelo

stppnmd

Oct 3, 2019
DeMelo is a fine defenceman and I'd like to see him on Florida Panthers. But out of all defs that we have I would only rate him above Brown and Pysyk. He'd most likely be our #6 with some time in PK

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Might have only been including dmen in that category, in which case, there is an argument to be made that DeMelo has been our best defensive Dmen.
He might just be the teams best d man period so far this season. They could get something really nice for him in a trade the way he appears to elevate his partners.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Might have only been including dmen in that category, in which case, there is an argument to be made that DeMelo has been our best defensive Dmen.
That's a super reductive view of modern hockey. Offence and defence isn't up to singular positions, there operate as 5 and 6 man units. Our best offensive player is Chabot and our best defensive player is Pageau.

Kinda like basketball in the past 5-6 years. The best teams don't pigeon hole their players into set traditional roles. The best teams use guys to their strengths, you see guys like Lebron and Siakim playing the point, the big 7 footers who can shoot 3s and distribute the ball.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
After watching Zaitsev with Boro.. I think Demelo is better. Our right side isn't good but if I had a choice of one or the other I'd take Demelo regardless if he was available for free before we got him. We should get rid of Zaitsev if we can and keep Demelo

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
After watching Zaitsev with Boro.. I think Demelo is better. Our right side isn't good but if I had a choice of one or the other I'd take Demelo regardless if he was available for free before we got him. We should get rid of Zaitsev if we can and keep Demelo

We kinda need to keep both for now, no one playing on the right is ready. Jaros looking very average, JBD still likely needs some more time, Thomson likely not ready.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He might just be the teams best d man period so far this season. They could get something really nice for him in a trade the way he appears to elevate his partners.

I'd be willing to keep him over Pageau, all things considering. Stabilizing the defense is just too important. Especially for a young team.

Reactions: DrEasy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
DeMelo has easily been our best defenseman this season. He makes his defense partners better and is reliable in all situations. He has become the next Kuba and Methot, only younger and with more upside.

Steady, consistent defensemen are tough to find in this league and when you have one, you take advantage and sign them long term. We need some veteran presence on the back end, especially starting next season, it cannot be all young guys just breaking into the NHL.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We gotta re-sign this guy. I was never high on him, but he changed my mind by his play.

Signing Demelo presents the same issue as every decent FA. He is valuable depending on his ask.

He is a young man living in a small Canadian City who has the choice to move in theory any where he wants for a potential pay day. How much will it take to get him to forgo that opportunity?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Signing Demelo presents the same issue as every decent FA. He is valuable depending on his ask.

He is a young man living in a small Canadian City who has the choice to move in theory any where he wants for a potential pay day. How much will it take to get him to forgo that opportunity?
How much of a pay day can a bottom 4 dman with 3 pts really expect? Obviously his boxscores don't tell the full story but he is not particularly physical, isn't a shutdown stud, doesn't create offence, he just doesn't have that attribute that could drive any sort of bidding war. I suspect he will be a low key signing that outperforms his contract once again as GMs target flashier players.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

DeMelo is Canadian, Ontario born. He doesn't strike me as a bright lights big city type. I don't think destination is an issue here with DeMelo. Term and money. What is he worth?

Not sure id go longer than 4 years.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How much of a pay day can a bottom 4 dman with 3 pts really expect? Obviously his boxscores don't tell the full story but he is not particularly physical, isn't a shutdown stud, doesn't create offence, he just doesn't have that attribute that could drive any sort of bidding war. I suspect he will be a low key signing that outperforms his contract once again as GMs target flashier players.

I can’t see him not wanting to make at least 3.5 x 4 as a UFA. I don’t see a getting him to sign before for the TDL for a $1.8 x 2 deal.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I can’t see him not wanting to make at least 3.5 x 4 as a UFA. I don’t see a getting him to sign before for the TDL for a $1.8 x 2 deal.
DeMelo seems to be very dependable and a very good 3rd pair D man. Sign him for $3.M for 4 or 5 years.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If the term is right you bring this guy back, imo. I'm not sure what Jaros is at this point in time and JBD/Lassi are still a few years away at the very least.

I'd probably go as high as 3 x 3, but would prefer a 2 year deal (even if it meant a bit higher AAV).

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the term is right you bring this guy back, imo. I'm not sure what Jaros is at this point in time and JBD/Lassi are still a few years away at the very least.

I'd probably go as high as 3 x 3, but would prefer a 2 year deal (even if it meant a bit higher AAV).
I'm guessing we see JBD get a contract as soon as UND is done for the year. From there he likely plays a few games with the big club and we'll have a better idea of how far away he is.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm guessing we see JBD get a contract as soon as UND is done for the year. From there he likely plays a few games with the big club and we'll have a better idea of how far away he is.

I'm always of the mind to over marinate the kids, especially defencemen. By all accounts JBD will has surpassed all expectations, but I still think he needs(at least) a full season in the AHL next year before competing for a spot in 2021-22. It really depends on Jaros' development though, as there could potentially be an open spot for him as soon as next year (even with Zaitsev/Demelo in the fold).

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Yeah, i'm looking at 2 x 2.5 or 3 x 2. Otherwise no dice.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It needs to be at least 3 years so that he can be exposed to Seattle. I like 4 x 2.5M. He is a solid RD who complements anyone.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Keep Demelo. Pair him with Chabot for the next 3-4 years. Leave that duo intact. Good things will follow.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It needs to be at least 3 years so that he can be exposed to Seattle. I like 4 x 2.5M. He is a solid RD who complements anyone.

Why does this come into play? The team has more than enough guys to meet the required number of players exposed.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why does this come into play? The team has more than enough guys to meet the required number of players exposed.
Not necessarily, Chabot and Zaitsev are the only ones who are under contract at the moment. We need to expose a D.
The others who can be exposed are Lajoie, Jarvis and Englund.
I expect Englund will be gone by then which means we will have to have Lajoie and Jaros under contract. Can’t let them walk so probably both on one way deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->