Player Discussion Dylan DeMelo

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Would be an odd move to call up Brannstrom so soon after being sent down to work on his game and confidence?

They will probably just throw Lajoie in and keep Golobeuf playing. I suppose they would need a call up in case of further injuries but not sure that is urgent to do so at this moment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if there will be any interest in DeMello by the trade deadline & what the return might be?

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
The senators need to sign demelo. That defense would be a total train wreck without him

Barring a huge over payment I feel like Demelo is worth way more to us than he would be in a trade. He's a RHD who plays 20 minutes a night and +7 on a bottom feeder while also having great possession stats. Unless we're getting another 1st or a 2nd+ we should do whatever we can to get him to sign something like a 4x4 deal. That also gives us the perfect amount of time to insulate JBD and Lassi until they are ready

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Barring a huge over payment I feel like Demelo is worth way more to us than he would be in a trade. He's a RHD who plays 20 minutes a night and +7 on a bottom feeder while also having great possession stats. Unless we're getting another 1st or a 2nd+ we should do whatever we can to get him to sign something like a 4x4 deal. That also gives us the perfect amount of time to insulate JBD and Lassi until they are ready

Agreed completely.

Unless demelo tells the team he wants to explore free agency, or somebody overlays big time, there is no reason to trade demelo.

He matters more to the senators than a 2nd round pick and a middling prospect

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I guess now we'll find out if the Senators can survive without norris winner Dylan DeMelo.

Hopefully it helps the tank and drives down his value on any contract they might offer him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I guess now we'll find out if the Senators can survive without norris winner Dylan DeMelo.

Hopefully it helps the tank and drives down his value on any contract they might offer him.

Ywah. I dont think anyone thinks hes elite.

But hes competent and stable. Which is something the senators haven't had much of on the back end since they lost methot

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The Sens have given him a chance to create a career after SJ wanted to drop him for nothing (wasn’t he almost put on waivers or something?).

I imagine he’d be happy to stay with the boys.

Players don’t have to be elite to keep, and Demelo has been a solid defender, which we need to balance out the offensive guys (Chabot).

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I look forward to seeing how freaking awful Boro reverts back to, now that he doesn't have DeMelo carrying the living daylights out of that pairing.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The Sens have given him a chance to create a career after SJ wanted to drop him for nothing (wasn’t he almost put on waivers or something?).

I imagine he’d be happy to stay with the boys.

Players don’t have to be elite to keep, and Demelo has been a solid defender, which we need to balance out the offensive guys (Chabot).

San Jose didn’t qualify him after the 2017 season, so he was a UFA and free to sign with anyone for ~2 weeks. He ended up re-signing with the Sharks for less than his qualifying offer.

A month later, after passing on the chance to acquire him for free, Dorion traded for him.

At the time of the trade he was a valueless throw in, so you have to hand it to him for making the most of his opportunity.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
San Jose didn’t qualify him after the 2017 season, so he was a UFA and free to sign with anyone for ~2 weeks. He ended up re-signing with the Sharks for less than his qualifying offer.

A month later, after passing on the chance to acquire him for free, Dorion traded for him.

At the time of the trade he was a valueless throw in, so you have to hand it to him for making the most of his opportunity.

It’s another good story for the squad. Keep ‘em coming in a year in the standings like this one I say....

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ywah. I dont think anyone thinks hes elite.

But hes competent and stable. Which is something the senators haven't had much of on the back end since they lost methot
To be fair, there was someone here arguing that he was a 3-4 on like 65% of NHL teams and better than Barrie. Some Sens fans have gone crazy in their valuation of Demelo. Part of that is just that they've watched so many insanely bad Dmen recently in Ottawa. Hainsey, Oduya, Ceci, Zaitsev, Boro etc. These are literally some of the worst D who get regular minutes around the league. When you see a guy like Demelo go out and hold his own it looks great in comparison.

Definitely cash out on him. Don't lock in Zaitsev and Demelo as 2/3 of our RD long term. That won't go well. We can afford to overpay someone better in assets or cash.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
DeMelo, if dealt, will 100% return a 2nd rounder. Not even a debate.

Losing him is very bad for the team but great for the tank.
Yep he has value,but unless someone wants to overpay for him...A 2nd rounder doesnt do enough for us to move him...Think we should just sign him

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
We should not forget the expansion draft coming. is it 21/22 or 20/21?

Demelo could be sign for a low contract and be taken by Seattle if he continue to be steady.. Demelo is a perfect 4-5-6, IMO.

4 on a weak team. bottom pairing on a strong team.

from the dman we have, is there a player who absolutely need to be protected because of contract? Zaitsev?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We should not forget the expansion draft coming. is it 21/22 or 20/21?

Demelo could be sign for a low contract and be taken by Seattle if he continue to be steady.. Demelo is a perfect 4-5-6, IMO.

4 on a weak team. bottom pairing on a strong team.

from the dman we have, is there a player who absolutely need to be protected because of contract? Zaitsev?
I would protect Demelo ahead of him TBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad