Player Discussion Dylan DeMelo

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I would protect Demelo ahead of him TBH
Agree. but does he need to be ptotected because of his contract?

I don't know enough or where to find that answer.

didn't he lift a no trade clause to be traded here? Or is it only the player with no move that team has to protect by default?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agree. but does he need to be ptotected because of his contract?

I don't know enough or where to find that answer.

didn't he lift a no trade clause to be traded here? Or is it only the player with no move that team has to protect by default?
He has a modified NTC ,not a NMC so we can leave him unprotected

Reactions: Viletho

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
To be fair, there was someone here arguing that he was a 3-4 on like 65% of NHL teams and better than Barrie. Some Sens fans have gone crazy in their valuation of Demelo. Part of that is just that they've watched so many insanely bad Dmen recently in Ottawa. Hainsey, Oduya, Ceci, Zaitsev, Boro etc. These are literally some of the worst D who get regular minutes around the league. When you see a guy like Demelo go out and hold his own it looks great in comparison.

Definitely cash out on him. Don't lock in Zaitsev and Demelo as 2/3 of our RD long term. That won't go well. We can afford to overpay someone better in assets or cash.
You need to watch some Leafs games. Barrie is the worst defence man on that team. He can produce points on the PP but he might be one of the ten worst defenders in the league. He is horrific.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He looks pretty core to me off ice, and is our best defender right now. Gotta have that group growing together.

Anyways, I’ve decided to pitch a tent in the don’t trade good players away until we have proven kids to displace them camp.

Reactions: OD99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I like keeping him on a 3 or 4 year deal. I originally hoped he would take 2M ish with the 4 year term but others are probably right that it might get up to 3M per. I would not go higher at 4 years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You need to watch some Leafs games. Barrie is the worst defence man on that team. He can produce points on the PP but he might be one of the ten worst defenders in the league. He is horrific.

Lol no, Ceci is WAY worse and its not remotely close. I am sure people have watched Barrie before this season and since Keefe has taken over he is back to being his elite self.

Keeping Demelo will have alot to do with what he wants and what teams offer for him. If he wants 4 plus million per he is gone and if teams are offering a 1st for him then he should be gone too. Those variables will influence his future in Ottawa.

I like him, he is a solid player a really good partner for Chabot which I dont think should be overlooked but if he wants more than he is worth they should move on from him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How you can possibly think Ceci is worse defensively than Barrie leads me to question other things you have said. Tyson Barrie was, is and always will be a train wreck+tire fire when his team does not have the puck. He is an elite PP defence man and is even very good 5 on 5 when his team has the puck. However he cannot box out, break the cycle, block a shot, take away a passing lane, he’ll he is facing the wrong direction most of the time.

EDIT: I forgot to mention he always bails out rather than take a hit when retrieving a puck.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How you can possibly think Ceci is worse defensively than Barrie leads me to question other things you have said. Tyson Barrie was, is and always will be a train wreck+tire fire when his team does not have the puck. He is an elite PP defence man and is even very good 5 on 5 when his team has the puck. However he cannot box out, break the cycle, block a shot, take away a passing lane, he’ll he is facing the wrong direction most of the time.

EDIT: I forgot to mention he always bails out rather than take a hit when retrieving a puck.
Your description of Barrie seems appropriate for Ceci minus the offense. We watched that here for years and almost made the mistake of a long term commitment.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Your description of Barrie seems appropriate for Ceci minus the offense. We watched that here for years and almost made the mistake of a long term commitment.
Ceci is very bad but seeing him play on the same team as Barrie is eye opening. Barrie is considerably worse which is almost unthinkable if you don’t see it with your own eyes.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

He's also misrepresenting the argument, which was that in the role of a #4, where youre not getting top unit PP time, youre being asked to PK, DeMelo is arguably better suited than Barrie. Yeah, if I dont have any other PP options I'm taking Barrie over DeMelo, but if you're playing them in a role that plays to DeMelos strengths while neutralizing and eliminating Barries opportunity to play to his strengths, DeMelo is arguably the better option than Barrie (which, again, was all that was argued).

Reactions: GCK

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You know what is funny is that Ceci is often standing where he should be in his own zone but it’s crazy how often he is facing 180 degrees away from the dangerous player.
That guy has almost every tool,size, speed, decent skill...All useless when you dont have it between the ears

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You know what is funny is that Ceci is often standing where he should be in his own zone but it’s crazy how often he is facing 180 degrees away from the dangerous player.
Yup. His brain just doesn't seem to operate at the speed that's required.

He'll fit in somewhere for a million or two, but his days of being a 4 to 5 mil per season guy look to be numbered. So glad he didn't accept any of the teams long term offers over the years.

Reactions: Que and topshelf15

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You said he was the worst defenseman on the team. You didnt specifically say defensively. Barrie is a way better player its not close.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You said he was the worst defenseman on the team. You didnt specifically say defensively. Barrie is a way better player its not close.
Read back Bert. I said defensively.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
just as whipping boy. his play here had nothing to do with the hate he got... just a whipping bou

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Ceci? Barrie? I thought this was the DeMelo thread? Anyway, I wonder if they still let him go on the team father/son trip with his dad? That would really suck. Break a finger and it's "Sorry dad."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad