Player Discussion Dylan DeMelo

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
By the eye test, I'm a fan. He's solid and has the right instincts. Wish he was a better skater and had a better shot. But dude makes the most of his limited tools.

Having said that, he's been pretty bad lately.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
honestly I like him.. but I mean if hes part of our long term plans in the top 4 and getting a massive raise Ill start not liking him so much.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Demelo is the least of the teams concerns, I not really sure why San Jose fans didn't like him, plays a simple game and isn't all that noticeable, kind of what you want in a D on this team. Totally nailed it with the Billy Joel comparison.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
If he was playing where he should be (bottom pairing), he would be exceeding expectations. Shouldn't be playing with Chabot, but there's no one else even remotely capable.

Not the worst top 4 stop-gap Jacob Bernard-Docker is ready, but just too many minutes against top lines right now.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
DeMello is a UFA this yr & I suspect & hope that he will be moved by the deadline, if not at the draft. I don't see him playing past this coming season here & although Ott is short of right shot defencemen, they do have a couple of guys who can play both sides as a stop gap until JBD is NHL ready. Hopefully, they are able to draft Seider RD this yr since he is well ahead of the curve to play in the NHL sooner rather than later. Boro is also a UFA & I would expect that he would be dealt too by the deadline.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
DeMello is a UFA this yr & I suspect & hope that he will be moved by the deadline, if not at the draft. I don't see him playing past this coming season here & although Ott is short of right shot defencemen, they do have a couple of guys who can play both sides as a stop gap until JBD is NHL ready. Hopefully, they are able to draft Seider RD this yr since he is well ahead of the curve to play in the NHL sooner rather than later. Boro is also a UFA & I would expect that he would be dealt too by the deadline.

i don't mind re-signing demelo if he's cheap. He can be a sold bottom 4 D.

Why are you so high on Seider?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Seider is a very intriguing prospect but I think it might a little much to say that he'll play in the NHL sooner rather than later. Just because he's tall and plays against men (in 3rd tier league) doesn't mean he's ready. The kid is kind of a beanpole. He plays in the NHL anytime soon and he's going to get steamrolled. He needs significant time before he's ready to play in the NHL. I'D argue that he should probably wait at least a year before playing AHL hockey.

You put him on a NHL in the next 2 years and you've got Patrick Wiercioch 2.0 out there. I'd argue that JBD is closer to NHL ready than Seider.
i don't mind re-signing demelo if he's cheap. He can be a sold bottom 4 D.

Why are you so high on Seider?

He's 6'4.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are plenty of articles on him that can easily be found on the internet & most of them comes off as a prospect who is forecasted to be a very good NHL player. He already has NHL size at 6'4", 198 lbs, he already plays with men on his current German team & playing for Germany in the IIHF World Championship including playing against NHL players. He's the same size as Tkachuk & Tkachuk didn't have that many problems playing against NHL players, in fact, I thought he dictated play most of the time when he was on the ice at both ends.

He is rated in the first rd by almost every ranking site I have seen & most think he could go anywhere from #12 to #25 depending on the site but most have him around #15. He would clearly be one of the best players available, if Ott drafts at #19 but they could also move up to get him should they need to. Given everything that I have read about him he would be an excellent pick at #19 & he would fill the need for a big good RD who can chew up a lot of minutes. When he gets to the NHL is anyone's guess but given where he is already I assume he isn't very far off either.

2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Get to know German defenseman Moritz Seider

2019 NHL Entry Draft Prospect Profile: Moritz Seider

10 NHL Draft Combine Takeaways: Jack Hughes is a true pro - Sportsnet.ca

From the Combine:
"Seider Anyone?: The most gregarious player of anyone I spoke to was Moritz Seider. The big right-shot defenceman was the talk of the Combine for his outgoing personality. Not only was he candid, and funny, but to the point. When asked why a team should take him he responded by saying, “if you want a big right shot defenceman who can skate well, I’m your guy.” Seider was instrumental in helping Mannheim win a DEL title and leading the German National U20 team back into the top group for the 2020 world juniors. Seider won DEL Rookie of the Year."

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He is rated in the first rd by almost every ranking site I have seen

Soderstrom is ranked higher, almost the whole way across the board.

That'll probably change for final rankings, as Seider made a big impression at the world championships, but just something to note.

Personally, I probably still take Soderstrom by a hair, but I certainly have no issue with people projecting a guy with NHL size and skating as the 2nd best defenceman in the draft.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Seider vs Soderstrom for me.

EDIT: Just realized I posted this in my own DeMelo thread, without even replying to anyone.

R2010

May 23, 2011
You should take a look at the EK trade thread, then.

Literally EVERY piece was downplayed. Tierney, DeMelo, Balcers, Norris... every single asset received in that deal was being underrated.

DeMelo looks like a #4 on a good team. Tierney is a #3 centre, Balcers could become a 3rd liner, Norris looks like he has 2nd line centre upside + two 2nds and one first. Certainly not a great return but absolutely not bad.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
DeMelo looks like a #4 on a good team. Tierney is a #3 centre, Balcers could become a 3rd liner, Norris looks like he has 2nd line centre upside + two 2nds and one first. Certainly not a great return but absolutely not bad.
Demelo is a 5/6 D on the Ottawa Senators and Tierney is our 4th line C. They're pretty bad players on a bad team.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
There’s no way DeMelo is a top four dman. At best he’s a third pairing guy.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Demelo is a 5/6 D on the Ottawa Senators and Tierney is our 4th line C. They're pretty bad players on a bad team.

Lmao wtf are you talking about

DeMelo - 3rd in TOI amongst DMen, 3rd in ES TOI, 3rd in PP TOI, 3rd in SH TOI

Tierney - T 6th in pts, T5th ES pts, 4th in TOI amongst FWDs, 5th in ES TOI, 8th in PP TOI, 3rd in SH TOI, 2nd in FOs taken, 1st in FOs won

Why did you make that up just now?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
There’s no way DeMelo is a top four dman. At best he’s a third pairing guy.

DeMelo is in a similar tier to many, many #4DMen. Look at Washington - is he clearly behind Gudas and Jensen? How bout Colorado with Zadorov/Cole? Or Toews/Mayfield in NY? Or Pettersson/Marino in Pittsburgh? Ceci and (right now) Barrie in Toronto? McNabb/Holden in Vegas? Kulikov in Winnipeg?

DeMelo is a #4/5. He can fill either role and he would be a #5 or better on almost any team in the league.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
DeMelo is in a similar tier to many, many #4DMen. Look at Washington - is he clearly behind Gudas and Jensen? How bout Colorado with Zadorov/Cole? Or Toews/Mayfield in NY? Or Pettersson/Marino in Pittsburgh? Ceci and (right now) Barrie in Toronto? McNabb/Holden in Vegas? Kulikov in Winnipeg?

DeMelo is a #4/5. He can fill either role and he would be a #5 or better on almost any team in the league.
No he wouldn’t. Gudas, Jenson, Toews, Zadarov, Cole, Barrie(Laughable that you would put him in this group), and Petterson over DeMelo easily.

Reactions: Deku

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lmao wtf are you talking about

DeMelo - 3rd in TOI amongst DMen, 3rd in ES TOI, 3rd in PP TOI, 3rd in SH TOI

Tierney - T 6th in pts, T5th ES pts, 4th in TOI amongst FWDs, 5th in ES TOI, 8th in PP TOI, 3rd in SH TOI, 2nd in FOs taken, 1st in FOs won

Why did you make that up just now?
So in your eyes, Borowiecki-Demelo has been the 2nd pair or the top pair for the Sens this year?

Who is the 4th line C out of this group currently: Brown, White, Pageau, Tierney. My hint to you: it's the one that's playing with Bobby "press box" Ryan and Filip "I get benched for scoring goals" Chlapik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad