Player Discussion Dylan DeMelo

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I remember telling Rangers fans that Redden was done and they just thought we were idiots and he just needed a change of scenery.

I will always take their more informed take until enough games have passed to make an objective judgment on my part.

Same here. I was mostly joking anyways lol

Reactions: bert and NyQuil

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
His skating is painful to watch. I would not assume that he is going to be with Chabot all season.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's a small sample size. I hope he turns out to be a serviceable NHL d-man who can compliment Chabot in the short term, but I can't say I'm expecting it. It'll take more than one solid game to get me excited about Demelo.

Long term, I think Jaros is the guy who'll get that spot next to Chabot, not Demelo.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's a small sample size. I hope he turns out to be a serviceable NHL d-man who can compliment Chabot in the short term, but I can't say I'm expecting it. It'll take more than one solid game to get me excited about Demelo.

Long term, I think Jaros is the guy who'll get that spot next to Chabot, not Demelo.
I was about to write exactly the same thing, I also think Jaros beside Chabot would really allow Chabot to flourish. DeMello on my third pairting would be alright until JBD is ready & out of school.

Interesting that most of us, me included expected the defence & goaltending to be the weakest link this yr & so far (small sample size) they have been playing excellent so far. Now we need the forwards to pick it up a notch & I expect that with Tkachuk making his NHL debut tomorrow night & coming soon Brown & Batherson. Can't wait.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

I would agree with this. I see Jaros as Hotsam Batcho’s long term partner with DeMelo as a competent place holder who can slide down the depth chart later on and still be very usefull.

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
Too early to tell yet how he'll turn out, as its been said his skating leaves a lot to be desired but that's the case for most stay at home D's (which is why they stay at home) However i don't know if it's been discussed already but in a slightly joking matter i think i know why he was included in the trade... It was most likely at Melnyk's request..Demelo was a Mississauga St-Mike's major during the same time Eugene owned that team..

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Erik 1 point Karlsson Dylan Demelo 3 points. I guess we know who won that trade. Lol

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
How is this guy leading the league at +7? It’s making me cheer for him and hoping he keeps it up. Nice start for sure.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Demilo and Chabot do you keep them together or not? I think you have to go with Boro/Ceci tomorrow night no choice.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
laughed that he was included in the trade.. but hes had a really nice start to the season... will this last? hope is all we have.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
It is great to see Demelo with such a great start but I don't think anymore should expect this to be the norm over the full duration of the season.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I mean, he wouldn't be the the first alliteratively named former bottom pairing defenseman to get a career reboot after being traded to Ottawa (see Methot, Marc).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why obviously won’t sustain? It’s possible.

Anything is possible. I could learn how to mentally project my consciousness into floating gas clouds of pure energy capable of travelling at light speed tomorrow and spend the next 5 billion years exploring the emptyness of the universe, floating from galaxy to galaxy in the loneliest trek for knowledge ever undertaken by life as we know it.

So I mean, sure. DeMelo could maintain this production too. Anything's possible. Dylan Demelo being a legit Norris Trophy candidate is probably so statiatically unlikely that it's not really worth putting in the effort arguing about at this point, though.

Reactions: OD99 and BondraTime

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Anything is possible. I could learn how to mentally project my consciousness into floating gas clouds of pure energy capable of travelling at light speed tomorrow and spend the next 5 billion years exploring the emptyness of the universe, floating from galaxy to galaxy in the loneliest trek for knowledge ever undertaken by life as we know it.

So I mean, sure. DeMelo could maintain this production too. Anything's possible. Dylan Demelo being a legit Norris Trophy candidate is probably so statiatically unlikely that it's not really worth putting in the effort arguing about at this point, though.
He hasn’t been playing norris quality hockey though. The points probably won’t keep coming at the same rate. What I meant though is that he could continue to play the same steady and solid hockey he has shown thus far. And I wouldn’t say that it’s obviously unsustainable.

The point production and +- stat sure those will likely fall off.
If he continues to play the same way he has been though(not totally unlikely and what I define “level of play” as) then everyone should be pretty happy.
He’s still young and has been progressing each year. It’s not like this is some 10year 7th dman suddenly showing consistency.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Anyway, I'll give credit where it's due.

+4 is a great result for a stay-at-home guy. Hopefully we see more of that.

He has played terrific, it is a very small sample size I agree. It also helps to play with #72.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Demilo and Chabot do you keep them together or not? I think you have to go with Boro/Ceci tomorrow night no choice.

Breaking up the only solid pair is not the way to go no, they need someone that is consistent to calm it down when they start running around.

Boro Wideman is the third pairing play them that way. Pray to god Lajoie and Ceci can play a regular shift and dont get destroyed. Thats basically where the sens are now.

Reactions: Clayonator

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I mean, he wouldn't be the the first alliteratively named former bottom pairing defenseman to get a career reboot after being traded to Ottawa (see Methot, Marc).

I've seen some people push this idea, but Methot was not a bottom pair guy in Columbus. Maybe he wasn't a big name because of the type of player he is, but he was a top 4 defender.

Demelo was a 6-7 guy barely playing who wasn't qualified. Methot was logging 20+ minutes a night in CBJ playing every game.

Reactions: bert

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Breaking up the only solid pair is not the way to go no, they need someone that is consistent to calm it down when they start running around.

Boro Wideman is the third pairing play them that way. Pray to god Lajoie and Ceci can play a regular shift and dont get destroyed. Thats basically where the sens are now.
I don't like the Wideman/Boro pairing. Would rather see Wideman/Lajoie or Wideman/Chabot.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Demelo is what Ceci should be. Limited puck skills and average (at best) skater, but knows his limitations, doesn't try to do too much, makes the simple plays and keeps calm under pressure.

Reactions: Clayonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad