Player Discussion Dylan DeMelo

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Demelo is what Ceci should be. Limited puck skills and average (at best) skater, but knows his limitations, doesn't try to do too much, makes the simple plays and keeps calm under pressure.

Its funny they are the same age too. Makes ya wonder if Ceci was developed properly how good he could have been, Ceci was a first round Demelo was a 6th.

Reactions: BigRig4

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Its funny they are the same age too. Makes ya wonder if Ceci was developed properly how good he could have been, Ceci was a first round Demelo was a 6th.

Ceci had the tools but no brain. Demelo had no tools but a brain. If only we could combine the two in a freak frankenstein experiment?

Reactions: derriko

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ceci just lacks IQ though, I’m not sure if it’s a development thing.

Well they rushed him then put him in a position he cant succeed at because he isnt a shut down D man. I agree he lacks a hockey IQ but he didnt struggle with it when he was played in the correct role.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
its funny cause Demelo is a guy who was a free agent and no one really wanted and was hated by Sharks fans like how Ceci is with us.

Ceci might blossom elsewhere

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ceci just lacks IQ though, I’m not sure if it’s a development thing.

I think people understate the other mental aspects of hockey, like confidence.

Ceci doesn't have the highest hockey IQ true, but he used to be better. At 19 he dominated the AHL and in his first 3 seasons he was a good young dependable NHL defenceman for us. Solid speed and puck movement and knew how to jump up in the play.

Where is that CECI?

I think Ceci was a good young player who should be better than he is right now. But he was just forced to play against the very best before he was ready for it. So i do think he was mismanaged and coached.

Ceci was showing growth every season before Dorion and Boucher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well they rushed him then put him in a position he cant succeed at because he isnt a shut down D man. I agree he lacks a hockey IQ but he didnt struggle with it when he was played in the correct role.

Ceci has NHL qualities but doesn’t have the outstanding qualities needed to be a top pairing D-man; particularly a Top Pairing shutdown D-man. That’s how he’s been played for 2-3 years. Of course he isn’t going to succeed. It’s like asking Condon to be your N.1 goalie

its funny cause Demelo is a guy who was a free agent and no one really wanted and was hated by Sharks fans like how Ceci is with us.

Ceci might blossom elsewhere

Of course, I don’t see a team acquiring Ceci if they don’t have at the very least 2-3 guys clearly better. A team with 3 good/great D-men but lacking depth might be interested

I think people understate the other mental aspects of hockey, like confidence.

Ceci doesn't have the highest hockey IQ true, but he used to be better. At 19 he dominated the AHL and in his first 3 seasons he was a good young dependable NHL defenceman for us. Solid speed and puck movement and knew how to jump up in the play.

Where is that CECI?

I think Ceci was a good young player who should be better than he is right now. But he was just forced to play against the very best before he was ready for it. So i do think he was mismanaged and coached. Ceci was showing growth every season before Dorion and Boucher.

Exactf***ingly

Reactions: topshelf15 and bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hugh jessiman was a first round pick in arguably the best first round ever. Sometimes they don’t pan out.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well we have to look at both Sharks players through a different lens here in Ottawa.

Both would have been further down the depth chart limiting opportunity and the Senators D are playing a far more aggressive offensive game tha we have ever seen. When have we ever had D scoring st a rate like this? Never.

Then again scoring is outrageously high all over the league so things are a little crazy right now in all regards.

Give it 20 games for our guys and the league to settle down a bit and we will have a much better idea of what we have in our current roster.

One thing that is not in question is both Sharks and all of our rookies are playing far better than the vast majority would have expected and that makes me happy every day.

For clarity...not because I feel I was right over others just because I actually have an enormous sense of excitement rather than the deep misery I had felt and expected to feel all season.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sure but thats a very extreme example. Ceci can play in the league, Jessiman cant.
I agree with that.. but the argument "he was a first, other guy was a late round pick" is not a solid one. I don't think we took a guy with great potential and ruined him. I think we took a mediocre guy and misjudged how good he was... ceci did have a strong debut in the league. that could have been our expectations, maybe not . I simply think there has been no development since then. maybe the teams fault..maybe there is no more development to be had... but I struggle to find his strengths. the brain is just not there.. he will find success in the nhl the same way he did in junior..buy being bigger and faster than who he is playing against. and he may do that playing against other teams bottom two lines on the third pair.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree with that.. but the argument "he was a first, other guy was a late round pick" is not a solid one. I don't think we took a guy with great potential and ruined him. I think we took a mediocre guy and misjudged how good he was... ceci did have a strong debut in the league. that could have been our expectations, maybe not . I simply think there has been no development since then. maybe the teams fault..maybe there is no more development to be had... but I struggle to find his strengths. the brain is just not there.. he will find success in the nhl the same way he did in junior..buy being bigger and faster than who he is playing against. and he may do that playing against other teams bottom two lines on the third pair.
That wasnt my argument it was simply something that i noticed. He was definitely rushed and he isnt nearly as bad as everyone has made him out to be on here he is being misused. By no means do i think he is some dynamo but he isnt being put into a situation for him to succeed at the moment.

Reactions: Xspyrit

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Billy Joel's son is working out quite well for us. Let's see if he can continue his strong play, maybe sing "NY State of Mind" at intermission.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Tried to post pics of young Billy Joel and Dylan Demelo, can't do it!
01-billy-joel-1978-billboard-1548.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That wasnt my argument it was simply something that i noticed. He was definitely rushed and he isnt nearly as bad as everyone has made him out to be on here he is being misused. By no means do i think he is some dynamo but he isnt being put into a situation for him to succeed at the moment.
I agree. I think the position for him to succeed is bottom pair.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Noticed that DeMelo is +11 in 58 games this year. Only other player with positive +/- is Stone with +13.
Obviously +/- is a bad stat in vacuum but relative to the rest of his teammates that's no fluke on such a bad team. Notably Ceci is -23, Lajoie -25, Jaros -14.
Plus his acting skills are top notch. Definitely a keeper.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Noticed that DeMelo is +11 in 58 games this year. Only other player with positive +/- is Stone with +13.
Obviously +/- is a bad stat in vacuum but relative to the rest of his teammates that's no fluke on such a bad team. Notably Ceci is -23, Lajoie -25, Jaros -14.
Plus his acting skills are top notch. Definitely a keeper.
I'd be willing to test this theory

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'd be willing to test this theory
The way I look at it, you can't compare Chabot's +/- to Reilly's because they play on completely different teams. But when the difference is so massive on the same team over the same period it's quite telling.
I also wouldn't compare Chabot's +/- to DeMelo's because Chabot gets a lot of minuses when opposing team scores EN goals (even then his -3 is quite solid).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad