Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Rangers: Creative Title N/A

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
this. i believe they hit the post one other time. but i mean they got like 3 odd man rushes in a row at one point and didn't do anything with them. we had quite a few glorious chances and they made us pay for 2 mistakes in an otherwise pretty even game.
pierre kept going crazy about how fast and exciting the ducks are but that game was painfully boring so i don't know what he was talking about

Unlike most here, I did not find it boring. Sometimes I think people confuse boring with frustrating.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Anaheim Ducks: 2 - New York Logo Hunters: 1

The lack of finish is getting frustrating. Our shooting percentage will regress upwards, but can it happen anytime soon?

But while the game was incredibly frustrating, it is encouraging that we were able to dominate one of the better possession teams in the league. Anaheim played most of the game with a lead so there were likely some score effects at play, but even when the game was close the Rangers had over 60% possession. Look at the progressive shot attempt chart:
orlj.png

Hagelin was once again the best player IMO, 78.6% possession and created most of our scoring chances. He's been the best player on the team since his return. The Streiderello/ChriStMats line had a down game, created the odd chance but had a hard time getting things going. Dorsett had another great game, the shots were 12-0 to the Rangers when he was on the ice 5v5.

On defence Staal-Strålman got the most defensive starts on the team and still put up over 65% possession, very impressive. McDonagh-Girardi OTOH got the most offensive starts on the team and managed measly 34.8%-41.7% respectively, though they had to handle one of the best lines in the league in Penner-Getzlaf-Perry. Moore-Del Zotto continues to thrive as the third pairing, they get sheltered minutes but they did great in them this game putting up 77%+ possession.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Another point; with the rate our players are getting headshotted, is it time to start selling the calls?

We only got a 2-minute minor out of the Nash hit and nothing out of the two high hits on Stepan. Those are all 5 minute majors and likely game misconducts if our player would've gone down and stayed down.

It isn't ethical or the way I'd want to play the game, but I'm getting tired of the headshots and the injury risk. If we start getting 5 minute PP's out of them they will likely top faster and we at least get goals (hopefully) out of them when they occur.

joplin

Dec 20, 2010
EU
i dont think Anaheims as skilled as everyones making em out to be...what they are is big and fast. i dont see any kind of crazy display of skill a-la Crosby, Malkin, etc.

they hold onto the puck, they retreive pucks and they move it around.

frankly we did that just as well if not better than they did.

we outshot them, we out attempted them, and we probably outpossessed them...we just don't have any finishers.

but still, anaheim are much better team than the rangers, the standings doesn´t lie
One thing you need to take into consideration is that Anaheim ended one of the toughest road trips this season, during which they lost a couple of players due to injury
don´t let this game fool you, Rangers fans - Anaheim played this way, bacause they got an early 2-0 lead. The Ducks usually outshoot 90% of their opponents, just look at this year´s post game stats
so in conclusion, when you put all cards on the table, the Ducks squash you like bugs. Rangers, you, with the exception of Lundqvist, do not have any talent, remember that

Last edited:

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
......thud. Did you hear that??? That thud was the Rangers coming back down to earth after the 3 game streak. :)

In all honesty, I have no issues with the way the rangers played last night. Anaheim is just a better team right now. I like what I see from the Rangers right now as they generated a decent number of scoring chances and played solidly on defense.

Looks to me like Brassard is falling out of favor with AV already. Can't really say I blaim AV- Brassard has been largely a non factor in most games.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
All 3 California teams are really good. The Rangers can beat the teams in the east. They have Pittsburgh,Columbus,Florida and Jersey in their next 4 games. 3 at home.

Richards is back with his with no look passes again. Richards hasn't scored a goal since October 24th in Philly. Two assists in the last six games.

The teams in the west are all big and they skate. That is not the Rangers.

AV called out the D last night. The Rangers need more O from their D. He said a couple of guys didn't go any shots through. That would be Staal and Girardi.

DZ played his best game of the season.

Kreider was crisp with his passes. He had a great opportunity in the 3rd but Anderson got his stick on the puck. The other forwards didn't do much.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
......thud. Did you hear that??? That thud was the Rangers coming back down to earth after the 3 game streak. :)

In all honesty, I have no issues with the way the rangers played last night. Anaheim is just a better team right now. I like what I see from the Rangers right now as they generated a decent number of scoring chances and played solidly on defense.

Looks to me like Brassard is falling out of favor with AV already. Can't really say I blaim AV- Brassard has been largely a non factor in most games.

Brassard is a tease. One game he looks like the 6th pick overall in the 2006 draft and then looks like a below average player.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
By the way, despite the power play totals, I thought Anaheim got away with murder last night.

The officials were ****ing awful. Twice they blew the whistle 3 seconds late on Ranger offsides. The call on a puck that was clearly loose. 4 or so absolutely awful icing calls on the Rangers (who ice the pick so much more then every other team).

They were ******** on the Rangers all game long.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Can't sleep walk through the first 10 minutes of a game againsta very good team and expect to win.

Good point. This team gets off to bad starts almost every game. How many times have we taken a penalty in the first 5 minutes of a game? Definately something that needs to be improved on.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
but still, anaheim are much better team than the rangers, the standings doesn´t lie
One thing you need to take into consideration is that Anaheim ended one of the toughest road trips this season, during which they lost a couple of players due to injury
don´t let this game fool you, Rangers fans - Anaheim played this way, bacause they got an early 2-0 lead. The Ducks usually outshoot 90% of their opponents, just look at this year´s post game stats
so in conclusion, when you put all cards on the table, the Ducks squash you like bugs. Rangers, you, with the exception of Lundqvist, do not have any talent, remember that

With the way people on this board get infracted for breathing the wrong way, why is this legit troll here? The Rangers don't have talent, ok. They don't have top end talent, they have talent outside of Lundqvist, just no superstars. And the Ducks didn't look all that great in the 3rd when it was 2-1 either. Derp.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
How many times does Perry put in that first goal against the Rangers, given the puck in the exact same scenario - 6, 7, 8? When was the last time the Rangers scored a goal like that? 3 solid opportunities in front of the net? Using their reach to make a goalie move laterally?

Nash might be able to but he rarely plays that way. The Rangers defense rarely has an answer; their forwards are not able to make that play. Despite whatever his Corsi was last night that is an extremely high percentage play. You can do that twice a game, dump the puck the rest of the night and win a hockey game.

Championship*

You know, they say that the 2-0 lead is the worst lead in hockey...

...unless you get that lead against the Rangers, then you win automatically

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Yes there were definitely score effects at play, but the Rangers still led unblocked shot attempts 10-5 when the Ducks scored their second goal (on their 6th unblocked attempt).

Yes the Ducks are a good possession team, but outside of their first five games so are the Rangers.

We miss Nash a ton, he is a player that turns a decent chance into a good one. The Rangers are good at creating chances, but awful at finishing.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
They were better. Not great. Can't play first 10 minutes like that. They looked average against a very good team. Had a chances to win but you can tell the Duck are a better team

SkerZ

LGR
Oct 29, 2008
NEW YORK
Perry is just ridiculously strong and the puck, he made McD look like a peewee a few times last night. I felt like evry time we took a shot it was blocked, and Richards oncr again looks slow and lazy with his no look passing. . Lets hope they wake up for the Pens game get shots thru

Championship*

Perry is just ridiculously strong and the puck, he made McD look like a peewee a few times last night. I felt like evry time we took a shot it was blocked, and Richards oncr again looks slow and lazy with his no look passing. . Lets hope they wake up for the Pens game get shots thru

:laugh:

Pens are gonna run roughshod over this Ranger team. It's gonna be bad.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Hagelin was once again the best player IMO, 78.6% possession and created most of our scoring chances. .

Really ? Becuase I hardly saw Hagelin put up any decent scoring chances that any of the other lines didnt follow suit.

For me the best Rangers were Hank and Staal. Hagelin didn't have a great or a bad game, but he was anonymus. I dunno why he was sat so much though (Most of it is no PP time, but there's still about 2:30 ES unaccounted for), together with Pouliot.

Stepan had an absymal game, with Richards and to some extent Brassard... its a real problem when all 3 C's play poorly. Kreider, Hags, Zucc, Dorsett, Del Zotto all had acceptable games imo.

This game was lost on dreadful turnovers, which is thankfully not a team issue, but a personal performance issue.

The last half of the 1st and whole 2nd period was more or less Rangers only, the third was not too great with Poo killing any finishing momentum, great job there.

Championship*

It's the same every year. The insurmountable 2 goal lead. Score 2 goals against the Rangers and they are done for. When is this going to change?

The game was over last night before 10 minutes were up in the 1st period.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Hanks second goal was bad. He was out played tonight rangers out chanced them we lost .. Move on

lol refreshing, original viewpoint here folks especially considering the source. Totally refreshing and original! This in depth analysis that covers everything that caused this loss is brought to you by alcohol consumption.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I know how this thread is after losses, so I'll just quickly leave my two cents and get out of year. Take out the first 10 minutes of the game and the last 2 minutes. Rangers played a pretty damn good hockey game, but Anaheim was masterful. And Andersen was fantastic when he needed to be.

If we have to lose a game, I want it to be like this. On to the next game.

Played fine had two disastrous turnovers and Anderson was good. Could have easily won this game. We've played very well basically since the Detroit game

Have to agree. Two turnovers were the difference tonight. Anaheim capitalized.

Pretty much this. Two poor plays and both wound up behind Hank. Otherwise they looked alright.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Really ? Becuase I hardly saw Hagelin put up any decent scoring chances that any of the other lines didnt follow suit.

For me the best Rangers were Hank and Staal. Hagelin didn't have a great or a bad game, but he was anonymus. I dunno why he was sat so much though (Most of it is no PP time, but there's still about 2:30 ES unaccounted for), together with Pouliot.

Stepan had an absymal game, with Richards and to some extent Brassard... its a real problem when all 3 C's play poorly. Kreider, Hags, Zucc, Dorsett, Del Zotto all had acceptable games imo.

This game was lost on dreadful turnovers, which is thankfully not a team issue, but a personal performance issue.

The last half of the 1st and whole 2nd period was more or less Rangers only, the third was not too great with Poo killing any finishing momentum, great job there.

He created a handful of decent chances and set up Richards for a golden opportunity in the slot which Andersen saved. I'd say that was more than any other Ranger.

We had three great chances 5v5 besides the goal where he was involved but not a major contributor; the Richards one mentioned above, and the partial breakaways by Kreider and Pouliot.

Maybe I was a bit generous in my description, but I'd still say he created more scoring chances than any other Ranger. Combine that with only being on the ice for three unblocked shot attempts against and you have a very good game in his limited minutes. It was weird how he didn't get more than 12 and change 5v5 though. AV has leaned heavily on him previously and he has been great, he was at least very good last night but saw his ice time cut.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
he was at least very good last night but saw his ice time cut.

Hags wasnt bad so I'm not going to argue your viewpoints.. the only reason I can see him being sat is the incident when he was sandwiched between 2 Anaheim players.. might have felt that a bit, I dont know.

Championship*

Two turnovers shouldn't be the difference in a game when they happen before 10 minutes elapses in the first period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad