Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Rangers: Creative Title N/A

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Two turnovers shouldn't be the difference in a game when they happen before 10 minutes elapses in the first period.

When they both result in goals it migth, Anaheim is a good hockeyteam, you can't just waltz in and score.

That being said, Rangers only allowed 2 goals from dreadful turnovers. Not exactly a free goal market in Rangers end either.

Things are looking up

Championship*

When they both result in goals it migth, Anaheim is a good hockeyteam, you can't just waltz in and score.

That being said, Rangers only allowed 2 goals from dreadful turnovers. Not exactly a free goal market in Rangers end either.

Things are looking up

My point is this, a good team should be about to overcome a 2 goal defect. Those turnovers didn't come at the end of the 3rd period. It was the first half of the first period. There was 50 minutes left to play in the game and the game was over. Same thing every year.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
good loss. i liked the compete level and the pace to the game. the turnovers hurt for sure.

seriously, we played hard, had chances and our passing was very sharp. 2-1 game to a strong ducks team is nothing to get upset over. the team looked quite good after teh poor start actually and so, even thought its a loss at home, this isnt something to dwell on.

you start down 2 and then play hard shows me this team is gaining confidence. defensively they played ok but long stretches of utter dzone domination by the faster bigger ducks forwards looked bad but we bent and didnt break. hanky played well for the most part. he would like that second goal back im sure, but it was a snipe.

our shot selection was troubling. we are being told to shoot it which i like, but wristshots on nhl goalies from bad angles with no screen will result in stopages and a game without flow. i would like to see our shot selection improve. i could have stopped alot of our "best chances" last night.

i must say that del zotto played a spirited, involved, confident game last night. he scored which is nice but even if he hadnt, he was still one of our best players. he was skating and getting deep and to me, he looked like a different player. thats the kind of player i envision when i think of his upside. a guy who pushes the puck and the play and kind of directs things from the top. he made some excellent decisions last night and even played the body better. no idea why, but he stood out last night in a positive way for a change. good on him. :nod:

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Maybe I watched a different hockey game vs. most of you but I saw a team completely dominated by the Ducks.

The Ducks came out and put up 2 quick goals and essentially sat back. The Rangers still weren't generating anything for the most part. As Soon as the Ducks decided to start playing again towards the 3rd the Rangers were again dominated. They could hardly get out of their zone / neutral zone all night.

This is with last change and with a lot of Ducks fire power sidelined from injury. The size of the ducks vs. the Rangers was overwhelming. They pushed out guys around all night.

I guess the one bright part was the Rangers didn't quit after the 2 goals but otherwise they got smoked.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Satisfied with that game. As I said in the GDT, as long as they played a competitive game, I'd be fine. Hard to win 4 in a row.

I will mention this. The officiating was awful, simply awful. You know how Getzlaf was completely shocked by being called for slashing at the end of the game? I felt for him. I felt for him because his team had been getting away with that exact kind of play the entire game. Joe was full of praise for the way the Ducks were playing defensively. What I saw was a team who brought back the clutch and grab. That game was what hockey looked like during the dead puck era. It was a pathetic display, on the part of the refs, for a 2013 game.

Of course, none of that excuses the Rangers only scoring one goal. It's just frustrating.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I'm glad Mashinter was in the lineup and not Miller. He really made a difference in his 2:50 of ice team.

Championship*

On a side note, I was at the game last night. Thoughts on the new garden:
1. Gorgeous
2. Seats were great
3. Love the New Concourses
4. Scoreboard is amazing

HOWEVER,
A gigantic negative - where the HELL are the soulvenier cups for beers? Beers used to be like 8 bucks and you got a souvenir cup with them that was awesome. I had about 20 before Sandy took them from me. Now the beer is more expensive and it's in a cheap plastic cup. Big time negative for me.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Yeah, the compete level was there, the skill was not. They were completely outclassed for most of the game.

yes. i agree and said so in my post.

the difference in size and skill was obvious. the ducks cycle game was dominating at times. they go to the front of the net as well as any team in the league.

as has been said before, we lack top end offensive skill. we really have no one who can take a game over nor do we have anyone who can carry a team for a period or a whole game. we have a bunch of union plumbers who all have the same tools in the box.

right now, we need nash back and we need a pp that clicks. and thats just to compete.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, the compete level was there, the skill was not. They were completely outclassed for most of the game.

I know that the Ducks didn't have to score with the way they played D and we played O, but they honestly didn't do much all game, at least offensively. "Completely outclassed" is incredibly overblown.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I did say we should get Andersen while his value was still low. Kid is going to be a superstar.

Thesensation19*

We came out flat. They scored two easy ones... we stepped up. We had a chance at the end but we created dumb penalties. Really dumb.

But idc about losing a game like that in an 82 game season. They played strong, they impressed me for the most part. They beat us, but we played well.

It showed me they can be a playoff team again

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would say that the compete level was missing in the beginning of the game and in the beginning of the 3rd. I did not view it as them playing a 60 minute game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We miss Nash a ton, he is a player that turns a decent chance into a good one. The Rangers are good at creating chances, but awful at finishing.

I agree for sure.

And this is exactly the type of game that it is perfectly possible that Nash could have left scoreless. But, he still forces other teams to adjust to him. Many want to match a specific D against him for example. Last year during the regular season, we got a bit of more initiative for sure when Nash was in the lineup.

Anaheim was just very comfortable last night. That is a big key to their win. We couldn't really rattle them at all. Two things really help in those situations, 1) one forward that by himself can get something going and 2) a blueline that can make the high caliber offensive play. Forwards in general just don't have much rooms in games like that, but for a D you know just beating "his" forechecker can open up the entire ice. To fake a shot and get a forward on his knees can open up a offensive zone completely.

And like even if you "just" on that night get 3-4 plays like the ones descibed above, those 3-4 plays definitely pinch a hole in the comfort-bubble of the other team.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I certainly don't see Rich Nash as the difference between the Ducks dominating and not dominating us for long periods of time last night. Could Nash have put one in last night during one of our too-rare attacks on the Anaheim net? Absolutely...he has good hands.

But for people suggesting Nash's mere presence on the ice would have forced Anaheim to play a different game...no way on earth. Nash is not that kind of imposing difference maker.

Last edited:

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Really ? I felt 2nd period was all rangers. third was all Ducks and first period was pretty much split evenly.

The Stepan and Brassard line had one full shift in which they completely locked Ducks down in their own zone as well, was pretty nice to see. Shame it was only 2 shifts.. the rest of the game it was mostly periodicly sustained pressure or stoppage of play in both ends.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I certainly don't see Rich Nash as the difference between the Ducks dominating and not dominating us for long periods of time last night. Could Nash have put one in last night during one of our too-rare attacks on the Anaheim net? Absolutely...he has good hands.

But for people suggesting Nash's mere presence on the ice would have forced Anaheim to play a different game...no way on earth. Nash is not that kind of imposing difference maker.

What? We had tons of possession and half-chances. The Ducks were only dominating in the sense that they had pretty good control over the game, but after they scored 2-0 the had nothing going for them offensively until a small burst in the beginning on the third. The rest of the game was all Rangers, and if we had Nash I think we would've been able to turn some of those half-chances into great chances, and some of the great chances into goals.

Championship*

Dolan is *****ing about the Knicks' slow start. The Rangers are having a slow start as well, you ever hear a word out of him? He doesn't care about hockey.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Maybe I watched a different hockey game vs. most of you but I saw a team completely dominated by the Ducks.

The Ducks came out and put up 2 quick goals and essentially sat back. The Rangers still weren't generating anything for the most part. As Soon as the Ducks decided to start playing again towards the 3rd the Rangers were again dominated. They could hardly get out of their zone / neutral zone all night.

This is with last change and with a lot of Ducks fire power sidelined from injury. The size of the ducks vs. the Rangers was overwhelming. They pushed out guys around all night.

I guess the one bright part was the Rangers didn't quit after the 2 goals but otherwise they got smoked.

That is the game I saw as well.

Ducks are the better team, even on the road without last change while missing a couple key players.

Rangers are not a bad team, in the east I'd even put them above average. The west, they'd be getting smoked just like they did on their road trip out there.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
That is the game I saw as well.

Ducks are the better team, even on the road without last change while missing a couple key players.

Rangers are not a bad team, in the east I'd even put them above average. The west, they'd be getting smoked just like they did on their road trip out there.

Agreed. Agreed.

The Ducks were understandably a bit tired (just a bit mind you), but when they needed to, they turned it back on in the 3rd and put our boys back on their heels.

We have a long way to go. I think it's fair to say we are not the worst team in the east and we might make the playoffs, but we are what our record shows.

Nash may or may not be back. Not sure if it makes that much a difference.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Agreed. Agreed.

The Ducks were understandably a bit tired (just a bit mind you), but when they needed to, they turned it back on in the 3rd and put our boys back on their heels.

We have a long way to go. I think it's fair to say we are not the worst team in the east and we might make the playoffs, but we are what our record shows.

Nash may or may not be back. Not sure if it makes that much a difference.

I think Nash does make a difference in this game. they would be worrying about putting their best d pair against him. And that would open up space for another line (stepan line) and on the pp nash would probably score especially since you get two in a row

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I was very disappointed to see a reasonably well-rested team get beaten to pucks all night long by a team that's been travelling for a reasonably long time.

If they can't outwork a tired team, how will they outwork rested teams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad