Claimed off Waivers: Ducks claim Pontus Aberg

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He was trash in the first game against SJ and looked like the worst forward on a team that iced multiple rookies. Stays up late and misses practice for Edmonton, didn't seem that interested in competing on a team that looked for a winger for McDavid. Couldn't crack the lineup in Nashville and Poile, who is always looking for goalscorers, trades him for a 4th rnd pick.

All happened in 1 year. Doesn't look good for Aberg. He had a nice run in the AHL, and scored a couple big goals for the Preds in the playoffs in 16-17, but after that it's been all downhill. And to think i wondered if Vegas would take a shot at him in the expansion draft.

I don't understand how you can get so close, and then from the outside at least look like a guy who thinks he doesn't have to work hard anymore.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He was trash in the first game against SJ and looked like the worst forward on a team that iced multiple rookies. Stays up late and misses practice for Edmonton, didn't seem that interested in competing on a team that looked for a winger for McDavid. Couldn't crack the lineup in Nashville and Poile, who is always looking for goalscorers, trades him for a 4th rnd pick.

All happened in 1 year. Doesn't look good for Aberg. He had a nice run in the AHL, and scored a couple big goals for the Preds in the playoffs in 16-17, but after that it's been all downhill. And to think i wondered if Vegas would take a shot at him in the expansion draft.

I don't understand how you can get so close, and then from the outside at least look like a guy who thinks he doesn't have to work hard anymore.
maybe the passion just isn't there.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
maybe the passion just isn't there.
I think he had it in his head that those couple of good games had gotten him a spot in Nashville and found out real quick a couple of games means nothing. I think everything since then is him having lost that swagger you need to be good at this level and he's just floating.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Gulls could use the depth right now, assuming he goes unclaimed.
I'd be surprised if we didn't take him back. The Oilers aren't exactly swimming in call up options down on the farm.

Good thing for Pontus, I guess. Bakersfield's not far.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He just doesnt have the work ethic to be a full time pro. The guy was given a golden opportunity in Edmonton playing on Draisaitl’s and Mcdavid’s wing but wasted it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He just doesnt have the work ethic to be a full time pro. The guy was given a golden opportunity in Edmonton playing on Draisaitl’s and Mcdavid’s wing but wasted it.

Yup. Two guys - Rattie and Aberg - were given golden opportunities to save their careers. Rattie ran with his and showed up to camp in unbelievable shape and burned the house down. Aberg Aberged.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why? He didn't earn a spot. He doesn't play special teams, didn't show that he can score regularly 5 on 5, and falls into the "good at nothing, pretty okay at everything" category. He wasn't good enough.

Yep. Nice player to have as depth, but not one to get hung up over if you have to cut him loose. Has (had?) some potential, but has a long ways to go to meet it.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
For some reason I thought waiver claims cost a lot less than that (like 5k or so).
It depends on the experience of the player.
Younger, "high potential" players cost more to take from another team, whereas a player who has 9+ years with the league only costs $3,375.

$3,375 is the lowest amount for regular waivers, but unconditional waivers (termination waivers, where a team and player are walking away from each other) cost only $125 for another team to step in.
(I think I've only seen one time where a player is on unconditional waivers and another team claims them - Edmonton, Niko Hovinen, 2013.)
The highest amount would be for a goalie with only two years completed under contract - $90,000.

Reactions: Riptide

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd be surprised if we didn't take him back. The Oilers aren't exactly swimming in call up options down on the farm.

Good thing for Pontus, I guess. Bakersfield's not far.

He pissed off the coach (and I assume management) within 24 hours of arriving to the Oilers, and didn't do anything to earn an NHL spot. They'll probably just consider this experiment over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad