Claimed off Waivers: Ducks claim Pontus Aberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm thinking Anaheim isn't exactly the place for Aberg to shine. Maybe in terms of all the injuries they have the opening. But stylistically, I'll be surprised if he isn't fairly quickly marginalized there. Always pulling for the Preds guys nevertheless... but if he couldn't make it with the Oilers, I'm not sure where he's ever going to fit in. Good luck PA! Probably is indeed down to about his last NHL chance.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Nice move by the Ducks.

This kid has some potential. Fairly good Relative numbers, has produced at the AHL level, has had moderate success at the NHL level.

Just needs a stable team to give him a chance.
He's a dime a dozen player who got outperformed by teenagers, but of course it's the organizations fault.

Ok.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's a dime a dozen player who got outperformed by teenagers, but of course it's the organizations fault.

Ok.

He didn't get much of a chance in EDM, and they aren't want anyone would call a stable organizaion.

I apologize if that offends you.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
He didn't get much of a chance in EDM, and they aren't want anyone would call a stable organizaion.

It doesn't, you just don't know what you're talking about.

He got waived because he performed poorly. He was given a chance and didn't do anything with it. But sure, this is the organizations fault again.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Yea, after being outplayed by many fringe players in the training camp he deserved another chance or two...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He got waived because he performed poorly. He was given a chance and didn't do anything with it. But sure, this is the organizations fault again.

Yea, after being outplayed by many fringe players in the training camp he deserved another chance or two...

I never said EDM should of given him another chance.

I simply said he needed a stable team to give him a chance. Somewhere he doesn't need to be relied on for offense. That's easier done in Anaheim than it is in Edmonton.

Reactions: Still Mighty

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Ducks were a 100 point team last year. Likely if a team were desperate for offence and willing to pay for a talent like Aberg, they would be above the Duck on the waiver wire priority, no?

Responding to all the quotes disagreeing with me, I respect your opinions and answers. I would totally try snagging a guy like him off waivers if he were available (that is if I had the roster space for him). Winnipeg can't even fit him on their team, but a team like Ottawa could (for half price too!)

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

Nashville wasn't a stable organization?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I never said EDM should of given him another chance.

I simply said he needed a stable team to give him a chance. Somewhere he doesn't need to be relied on for offense. That's easier done in Anaheim than it is in Edmonton.

The issue is that he doesn't seem to be the type of player who can play a checking role, his skills are offensive skills, offense is the only thing he can be relied on.

In Edmonton the issue was also the fact that he impressed the coaches negatively immediately after getting here, if you are in the doghouse and don't put too much effort into the training camp the outcome is inevitable.

TBH, I thought he had some intriguing skills, I was hoping that he will clear waivers. Maybe we will claim him back when the inevitable happens in Anaheim, but even at his point he is a long shot to become a decent player.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Rattie, Pulijuarvi, and Yamamoto are all playing very well, so there's not much room on RW. To those saying he wasn't given opportunity, he was given chances with Drai and McDavid last season and didn't exactly impress in the top six

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Dumb of Edmonton to waive him anyway.

[mod]
Aberg skates well, but does nothing. Not good on the pk, or forecheck, or scoring, or checking. He just skates around on the ice and takes up space. Explain to me how it was dumb to waive him?

Last edited by a moderator:

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Nashville wasn't a stable organization?
Did you mean to quote the other guy? I don't know what your point is, Nashville is a very well run organization and they got rid of him for a mid round pick.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it's a smart pick up imo, but he's bottom six fodder. He's got some good wheels and makes some good plays

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Uh, he got dumped overboard for a fourth round pick / 18 games of Mark Letestu before that...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He'll battle Sherwood and Comtois for ice time while Eaves, Ritchie and Gibbons are unavailable. Personally I would have preferred one of the two Buffalo options though (Bailey or Baptiste).

Which proves the unwritten rule of not claiming player exposed to waivers in the first year of them being exposed.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Talent is there. But, man, it’s hard in a locker room when you’re slapping on ice packs and bandaids and the guy next to you doesn’t have a scratch on him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The guy got so much flack for that. Who cares. He's a young fit dude who's work makes it hard to meet women. If I was in his skates, I'd be swiping on the bench in between shifts.
Who said anything about flack? It's a joke. The only flack he got in Edmonton was for not taking his job seriously.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Who said anything about flack? It's a joke. The only flack he got in Edmonton was for not taking his job seriously.

People were claiming because he was partying and on tinder all the time he wasn't focused and taking his job seriously.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Ok.

I think Aberg lost his job when the oilers got Reider. It was the numbers game. Some posters just feel the need to bash the oilers for anything they do.

Aberg stats are not that good. With chiasson and reider added he was screwed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad