Confirmed with Link: Duchene to NSH 8 AAV/ 7 years

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So pumped!!
$28 million in signing bonuses, but that does not count against cap and who cares, not our money haha.
WOO!!
Apparently it's included in the above numbers.

Edit--I don't know cap rules, but going by what I quoted here, if the signing bonus doesn't count toward the cap, does that make the overall cap hit only $28 million?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The Ariana Grande song 7 rings was playing out of my Spotify shuffle list and especially when I clicked on the confirmed news on Duchene, it played the part where she goes ''I want it, I got it'' and I couldn't agree more

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Apparently it's included in the above numbers.

Edit--I don't know cap rules, but going by what I quoted here, if the signing bonus doesn't count toward the cap, does that make the overall cap hit only $28 million?

Signing bonuses do count towards the cap its just the structure of the payout is different. We've historically not given out huge signing bonuses because in the event of a lockout they still have to be paid out while salaries do not and we don't have the money to pay them out when revenue dries up. I assume there's other benefits from the players perspective, but that's the big one I'm aware of.

Reactions: Adz

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
2cc606f4270f3941b93c2184511e69f3.png

Oh he's back for sure now ;)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
P.K. Subban for Duchene, Santini, Davies, and 2 2nds seems a lot better, definitely couldn’t get him if we still had that contract. Now we just need to get Josi signed to a nice long term deal.

Right but we could have had him if we didn’t have Ellis or Turris either. I get trying to make it seem better but PK would have been worth more to this team if not for some other bad contracts Poile has inked lately.

Not trying to be a downer at all. This is likely the best Poile could do given the circumstances and is not a terrible outcome. But he also created those circumstances.

(Of course we could take this further and wind it way back to Ed Belfour and it’s looking really good hah. Though to be fair Duchene is not directly linked to the Belfour lineage. Our hope now lies with Santini, Davies, or one of the draft picks to keep that story alive.)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Right but we could have had him if we didn’t have Ellis or Turris either. I get trying to make it seem better but PK would have been worth more to this team if not for some other bad contracts Poile has inked lately.

Not trying to be a downer at all. This is likely the best Poile could do given the circumstances and is not a terrible outcome. But he also created those circumstances.

(Of course we could take this further and wind it way back to Ed Belfour and it’s looking really good hah.)
I generally approach it the same way. Adding Duchene is a separate value proposition from the Subban trade, even if we needed to complete the latter in order to sign the former. In theory, we should have been able to get Subban's actual value back in prospects/picks (with Davies and Afanasyev it may end up pretty damn good actually) and then added Duchene on top of that, but it doesn't always work out that way in a salary cap world.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Everybody already said anything I would have... Duchene was going to get $1-2M more than this anywhere else, so hard to complain, and nice to see how much he wanted to be here...

2019-20

Forsberg ($6M) - Johansen ($8M) - Arvidsson ($4.25M)
Granlund ($5.75M) - Duchene ($8M) - ????
Jarnkrok ($2M) - Turris ($6M) - Smith ($4.25M)
Sissons (RFA - $2Mish) - Bonino ($4.1M) - Watson ($1.1M)
Grimaldi (RFA - $1Mish)

Josi ($4M) - Fabbro ($0.925M)
Ekholm ($3.75M) - Ellis ($6.25M)
Hamhuis ($1.25M) - Santini ($1.416M)
Irwin ($0.675M) - Weber ($0.675M)

Rinne ($5M)
Saros ($1.5M)

TOTAL: $77.9M

That's still $3.6M in cap space... dunno what's left we could do with that. Maybe still just sign Boyle and bump Turris up to that 1 remaining spot on the wing. Or maybe there's something else they could look at... ? :dunno:

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
One thing to keep in mind about Turris. He also had a down year in 2015/16 and missed a good amount of time there due to injuries. He followed it up with 2 50+ point seasons. I would not be upset if Poile kept him this year as I do think he is primed for a bounce back. Moving him to the wing is a good thought as he isn't exactly all that great on faceoffs. Going to be interesting to see if Poile has anything else in the works. I think we are a better team already at this point though.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
One thing to keep in mind about Turris. He also had a down year in 2015/16 and missed a good amount of time there due to injuries. He followed it up with 2 50+ point seasons. I would not be upset if Poile kept him this year as I do think he is primed for a bounce back. Moving him to the wing is a good thought as he isn't exactly all that great on faceoffs. Going to be interesting to see if Poile has anything else in the works. I think we are a better team already at this point though.

I think I agree with you, I'd be eager to see him on the wing, I could easily see him there.

I think Bonino's gotta be the odd man out, good defensively and decent at scoring goals but doesn't drive the play, isn't really physical and we have a cheaper guy to replace him. I'd like to see a bigger, more physical guy to replace him.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Watched some clips about Duchene from last year, and he scored a bunch of goals within a few feet from the goal and that's the exact kind of scoring we've been looking for. He also played in front of the net on the PP in Columbus and I think he's gonna make the PP better.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Agree completely- at this point I hope we keep him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad