Confirmed with Link: Duchene to NSH 8 AAV/ 7 years

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
HELLO THIS IS BIGFATCAT999 AND I CAN TOTALLY CONFIRM THAT I AM NOT DEAD. THIS IS A TOTALLY REAL POST AND NOT AT ALL SOMEONE ELSE TAKING OVER MY ACCOUNT

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
HELLO THIS IS BIGFATCAT999 AND I CAN TOTALLY CONFIRM THAT I AM NOT DEAD. THIS IS A TOTALLY REAL POST AND NOT AT ALL SOMEONE ELSE TAKING OVER MY ACCOUNT
I can confirm that this post is 100% genuine and that no account takeovers or murders of Preds fan friends have taken place. Everything is perfectly fine here. Perfectly fine.

HOW DARE HE TAKE LESS THAN WE OFFERED AARRRGH :rant:

;)

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It makes me laugh because the same fans fussing about that see absolutely no issue with the bigger markets being able to pay huge front loaded bonuses that a lot of the tax free teams can't pay.

That's not an advantage at all :tmi:

Everyone is a fan of the kind of welfare that helps them out.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
It appears that Viqsi and BFC had a great time last night drinking all of the German beers.
Emphasis on "ALL".
So I took Jailbait Jr to see a movie last night. Whispers of the Heart, a Studio Ghibli film from 1995 or so. The prevailing theme through the entire movie is "Country Roads Take Me Home" Ha ha! What a coincidence, right?

I think he's moving here for the little guy. Tax break is probably less than people think but Nashville does have a lower cost of living than a lot of places. He can live in "the country" and have his kid go to excellent schools set up for kids of celebrities. I mean, Ryan Smyth never even played here and moved to Nashville for those reasons! Nashville is just the place to be right now.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Didn't Matthews get most of his money upfront in bonus' that would fall under his home in Arizona?

Yeah this is one major thing people are missing -- bonuses are taxed based on the player's home, not the city/state in which the team is located. This is why a simple "low taxes" mental rake-field of an argument is immediately wrong. If the argument lacks nuance, it's f***ing stupid, basically.

Note that Duchene posted on Instagram about how excited his family was to be coming to Nashville ... from Haliburton, Ontario.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah this is one major thing people are missing -- bonuses are taxed based on the player's home, not the city/state in which the team is located. This is why a simple "low taxes" mental rake-field of an argument is immediately wrong. If the argument lacks nuance, it's ****ing stupid, basically.

Note that Duchene posted on Instagram about how excited his family was to be coming to Nashville ... from Haliburton, Ontario.
To be precise, for state tax purposes (and Canadian tax purposes) the person will be taxed in whichever jurisdiction such person is deemed to be a "resident" for the tax year in question. This residency is generally determined on the basis of how many days per year a person spends in a location. For US tax purposes (and most states), it's generally wherever you are resident for 183 days of the calendar year, unless you are a US citizen, in which case you're subject to US income tax regardless of where you live. So US citizens playing in Canada generally pay taxes in both the US and Canada, and offset taxes in the US with a "credit" for the taxes paid to Canada.

This gets much more complicated once you factor in state and local jurisdictions which impose a tax based on the fact that a service has been rendered in that jurisdiction (e.g., New York City). So as a professional athlete, you're playing many games on the road, some in Canada, some in the US, in a bunch of different states, and you are potentially subject to tax in each such location.

All of that said, it is extremely complex, but the "low taxes" argument for Tennessee, Florida, Texas and Nevada does hold true. Canadian citizens pay tax in Canada based on residency, as opposed to citizenship, so even though Duchene is a Canadian citizen, if he is not deemed to be "resident" in Canada for a particular tax year, he won't be subject to Canadian income tax on his earnings other than taxes he has to pay as a result of games played in Canada. So by staying in Nashville most of the year (which he will probably will due to the number of games/practices/etc. here in Nashville), he'll likely avoid being taxed much in Canada, plus most of his US sourced income will be in a non-income tax state (at least on salary income) so his combined US federal and state tax rate will be much lower by playing for Nashville than playing for the Rangers or Sharks.

And finally, even if his bonus is paid on July 1 while he's living abroad, that doesn't matter as a general rule. Again, taxes are calculated and paid on the basis of a full tax year, so if Duchene ends up living in Nashville for most of the year, the bonus would not be subject to tax in any other state.

This is all a very generic summary, but hopefully a useful primer in how US federal and state/local taxes are imposed, as well as Canadian tax (which admittedly I don't know much about). But you can't dismiss the fact that a player is playing at least 41 games out of 82 in a state that doesn't impose income tax on salary income.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
When tax free teams start dominating the Stanley Cup then I'll listen. Right now it is no more an advantage than a team like Montreal or Toronto has being able to structure bonus heavy deals.

Reactions: Ice and Whiskey

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
When tax free teams start dominating the Stanley Cup then I'll listen. Right now it is no more an advantage than a team like Montreal or Toronto has being able to structure bonus heavy deals.

Or Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Minnesota and Boston being the hometown team and family favorite to the majority of players. How do you figure that into the cap?

What about how some teams are contenders and thus more attractive to FA's than basement teams? What about how some players (Panarin) only want to play in a mega city? What about how some owners have deeper pockets than others? And some teams hire bigger and better staffs, or have newer and better facilities?

There are so many factors that can be considered an advantage, and the real kicker is that the salary cap has NEVER been about making the league fair or balanced. It's all about ensuring a 50/50 split of HRR. If people want to say the cap is broken, they can say that it's not working as designed because it was designed to work when half of the teams spent above the midpoint and half spent below it, but most teams are well above the midpoint now so players are not retaining as much of their escrow.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Paul McCanns blog on Eks site mentions Duchene having had something to say about the infamous offside goal. Anyone got a link to an interview or something?

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Paul McCanns blog on Eks site mentions Duchene having had something to say about the infamous offside goal. Anyone got a link to an interview or something?

Nothing much to it. Just acknowledged that he was sure it was offside but didn’t hear the whistle so took the shot. Was expecting to get jumped by the Preds. Takes credit for the institution of video review.

Reactions: PredsV82

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Hopefully people slap him the back and say thank you every time the offside discussion comes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad