Confirmed with Link: Duchene to NSH 8 AAV/ 7 years

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Good signing for Preds.

However I wouldnt put him on the same line as Granlund. Granny isnt fast enough to play with Duchene+ neither likes shooting the puck that much.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
tolvanen isn't ready and granlund in his short tenure with us reminded me of a white crayon. no thanks on that line combo.

You are probably right. But Granlund and Tolvanen are supertalented. Star player won't cry having to play with these two. Strangely Tolvanen was extremely good for a year (in europe) and then got worse. Don't know why.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
You are probably right. But Granlund and Tolvanen are supertalented. Star player won't cry having to play with these two. Strangely Tolvanen was extremely good for a year (in europe) and then got worse. Don't know why.
he will get there. he's only 20. his record breaking rookie year in the KHL jacked up everyone's expectations of the kid.

HITMAN88

Jun 29, 2011
Sandanski
The question now is what Nashville will do with Turris?
A trade is coming... for some prospect/picks maybe?
If so, are they still targeting another top 6 winger or they are saving the remaining cap space to re-sign Josi?

TK

Feb 26, 2019
The question now is what Nashville will do with Turris?
A trade is coming... for some prospect/picks maybe?
If so, are they still targeting another top 6 winger or they are saving the remaining cap space to re-sign Josi?

They don't really have to save for Josi, provided they are fine with Craig Smith walking next season (as they should be in my opinion). If Turris was traded, I do think Poile would look for a winger upgrade for the top 6, preferably LW.

Reactions: HITMAN88

HITMAN88

Jun 29, 2011
Sandanski
They don't really have to save for Josi, provided they are fine with Craig Smith walking next season (as they should be in my opinion). If Turris was traded, I do think Poile would look for a winger upgrade for the top 6, preferably LW.

I see. So, a guy like Lee would be the best case scenario I think. Never say never to another trade like the Granlund-Fiala one if Nashville missed on guys like Lee, Ferland, Nyquist etc.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I see. So, a guy like Lee would be the best case scenario I think. Never say never to another trade like the Granlund-Fiala one if Nashville missed on guys like Lee, Ferland, Nyquist etc.
Yes and no. I mean he or someone like Kreider would be a great fit to round out the top6, but the contract is what keeps me cautious. He probably wants seven years which would take him to 35. There are too many examples of similar guys on long contracts to become a burden. Five years could be a reasonable risk, banking in on the next five years while our entire core is at their prime.

Reactions: HITMAN88

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

I think that would depend on what Smith commands for a contract. A 20/20 player is not a commodity to turn your nose at the right price.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

TK

Feb 26, 2019
I think that would depend on what Smith commands for a contract. A 20/20 player is not a commodity to turn your nose at the right price.

Playoff hockey should be the #1 focus of the Preds right now. Whatever he signs for, it will almost certainly be much, much more than he's worth as far as the postseason is concerned.

112 forwards scored as many or more goals than Smith last year. 148 forwards had as many or more points. (The year before was much better, the year before that much worse and 3 years ago about the same as this season) Disregarding his postseason play, that doesn't scream high end second liner that needs to be kept around. Especially at his age.

Last edited:

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
8 million seems like a fair contract for now.

Whether he lives up to the 8 million or not is up to how Lavy and co. decide to use him. He needs strong linemates to be productive so I too would play him with Forsberg and Granlund, and have Johansen play with Arvidsson and someone he can carry a bit on the LW like Sissons if we decide to keep Turris/Bonino or another UFA if we move Turris/Bonino.

Reactions: NNCbama

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
So happy about this signing especially at 8M per. MD is better than people give him credit for at playing a 200 ft game and he is extremely good in faceoffs. He also has more than 400 career block shots/hits/takeaways. That is a well rounded player. His history shows that when he is placed on a line of lesser talent he still puts up 50+ points and when he has consistently played with higher end players on his line he gets closer to a PPG type of player. He instantly becomes the fastest player on our team hands down. Having our center depth is something many teams would die for.

I really do hope we keep Turris for now. Unless Poile can pull some crazy trade off and get a top 6 winger. Having Turris on a third line is going to put a lot of pressure on teams.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Poile was able to keep it under 9 because Duchene wanted to play here, tax benefits of playing in Nashville, etc. 8 sounds good because of the speculation getting thrown around so hopefully he actually lives up to that number.

By the way, I guess at some point it was inevitable that Poile would have to cave on NTC in free agency. You can’t dangle a tax savings benefit and not allow the player to protect themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad