Confirmed with Link: Duchene to NSH 8 AAV/ 7 years

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
Will the Perd-a-turds finally have a true #1 C? :naughty:

edit: Well maybe not a true #1, but the JoJo/Shane-o combo is lookin pretty sexy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Wow. Welcome to Smashville, Matt Duchene! :welcome::yo:

$8M? And everyone was saying $9 - $9++. What sort of wizardry did Poile use to get this deal? I wonder if DP used Ellis saying he wanted to make sure other guys got paid to get MD to sign for less than he reportedly wanted?

I believed he would sign here, but lately the backing off of "100% to Nashville" and "maybe Montreal is a real possibility" was making me nervous.

One thing is for sure, if he really wanted to be here this bad, I have no doubt that he will work his butt off for this team. And maybe it will inspire others to step their game up as well (not that we have an effort problem, but you know what I mean).

(Until I see an official story from the NHL or the Preds, I'm still slightly nervous this won't be true)

Reactions: Devonator

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
Wow. Welcome to Smashville, Matt Duchene! :welcome::yo:

$8M? And everyone was saying $9 - $9++. What sort of wizardry did Poile use to get this deal? I wonder if DP used Ellis saying he wanted to make sure other guys got paid to get MD to sign for less than he reportedly wanted?

I believed he would sign here, but lately the backing off of "100% to Nashville" and "maybe Montreal is a real possibility" was making me nervous.

One thing is for sure, if he really wanted to be here this bad, I have no doubt that he will work his butt off for this team. And maybe it will inspire others to step their game up as well (not that we have an effort problem, but you know what I mean).

(Until I see an official story from the NHL or the Preds, I'm still slightly nervous this won't be true)
Lol, I saw at least one person (on main board) saying Poile was the new league-worst GM after the Subban trade.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm still not thrilled about it, since I fear that he won't produce enough to live up to it on the 2nd line and 2nd powerplay unit, but I hope that I'm wrong and at least he's coming at a discount. That makes it easier to swallow and I like that he was willing to do that to go where he really wanted to be. It's hard to be upset about acquiring a guy who wants to play here so badly. I'll probably warm up to him when I see how happy he is to be coming.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm still not thrilled about it, since I fear that he won't produce enough to live up to it on the 2nd line and 2nd powerplay unit, but I hope that I'm wrong and at least he's coming at a discount. That makes it easier to swallow. I also like that he took such an obvious discount to go where he really wanted to be. It's hard to be upset about acquiring a guy who wants to play here so badly. I'll probably warm up to him when I see how happy he is to be coming.

How can you not be thrilled? We got the biggest free agent available. When was the last time that happened? And at a discount!

Reactions: Montross

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
How can you not be thrilled? We got the biggest free agent available. When was the last time that happened? And at a discount!
He also *allegedly* picked us over Montreal. Which is amazing because no one *allegedly* wants to come here. It’s a good financial UFA Deal. And UFA deals are usually bad financial deals. So, duh. 8M is good

And no, he’s not the missing piece of the puzzle. Because hockey is random (see Stl Blues). But it’s an upgrade. Subban was a shutdown defender but we need goals. Mission semi-accomplished.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I haven't been super sold on the Duchene for Subban changeup but it's hard to find anything to complain about with the way Poile made it work. Interested to see if Turris is on the roster at the start of next season. Even coming off of a down season, with how thin the UFA market is on centers you'd have to imagine he has enough value to move for some picks at the least.

Reactions: NNCbama

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I haven't been super sold on the Duchene for Subban changeup but it's hard to find anything to complain about with the way Poile made it work. Interested to see if Turris is on the roster at the start of next season. Even coming off of a down season, with how thin the UFA market is on centers you'd have to imagine he has enough value to move for some picks at the least.

If we can get rid of Turris without taking salary back or giving up any prospects or high picks, I'm all for it. Otherwise trade Bonino and roll the dice on Turris having a bounceback year.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If we can get rid of Turris without taking salary back or giving up any prospects or high picks, I'm all for it. Otherwise trade Bonino and roll the dice on Turris having a bounceback year.
turris still has value regardless of how much we (i am one of them) shit on him.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I would say that Panarin is easily the biggest free agent available. I've just never been that high on Duchene and have doubts that he'll produce enough as a #2C with (likely) #2 PP time, even with the discount. I'm not critical of the signing, just a little skeptical and hopeful that I'm wrong.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I would say that Panarin is easily the biggest free agent available. I've just never been that high on Duchene and have doubts that he'll produce enough as a #2C with (likely) #2 PP time, even with the discount. I'm not critical of the signing, just a little nervous. I hope that I 'm wrong.
duchene will be on the #1 PP unit. i can almost guarantee that. johansen will go to the 2nd unit before duchene.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
We’ve known he wanted to be here since the all star game. It finally happened!

I’m very excited, as a fan, to have him on this team.

Go Preds!

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Poile working his magic again.

Fantastic deal AAV-wise especially considering what was discussed earlier.

Lots of GM's overpay on July 1 to get their guy. I don't see this as an overpayment.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Wow amazing deal of true (not jinxing it until signed)..Wasnt happy about the PK deal and wasnt sure getting Duchene was enough to get me hyped again. BUT getting him at 8 mill would be truly amazing. It tells the rest of the roster that he truly wants to be here and will accept a role where #1C is shared between him and Joey. I hope this might also impact Josi and his extentsion and that it might make him take a slight discount as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad