Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Zadina was highest ranking player we drafted in the past decade or so . It doesn't make him better than Svechnikov or Veleno . He needs to show that he improve . For example ,can he produce point per game at AHL?. I believe Rasmussen or Veleno could , not sure about Zadina.
Wow, if Zadina wnet back to the Q and outscored Veleno would you be saying this?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What could zadina have possibly done to you to make you dislike him? He steal your girlfriend or somethin?
I like to be wrong about him, but
1 we were talking about getting defenseman last year, Buchard , Dobson, Hughes.
2 He was saying at the draft about teams will regret not to take him
3 He is blaming that he doesn't have good passers playing with him in GR. That's basically it.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You don't do well with people not sharing your opinions do you?

That’s not what I said. I have no problem with anyone who picks Seider. All I suggested was there are a few people who picked Seider because Zadina didn’t take over the world by storm last year. I elaborated on this point as well. If you like Seider because you are a believer in him right off the bat, that’s great; there’s no arguing that. But if you have to qualify your pick of Seider by also saying that Zadina no longer has high upside or that the elite potential isn’t there, then yeah, I’ll question your thought process.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I like to be wrong about him, but
1 we were talking about getting defenseman last year, Buchard , Dobson, Hughes.
2 He was saying at the draft about teams will regret not to take him
3 He is blaming that he doesn't have good passers playing with him in GR. That's basically it.
You have every right to use whatever criteria you want, but personally when deciding how to rank prospects I'd weigh their play heavier than 2 comments and people we could have taken instead. There are things to dislike about Zadina's game, but all in all I think he has more than enough talent to be a great player.

I don't love him complaining about his GR teammates, but he is right that he didn't have anyone that can pass. I liked the filling nets bit, it was funny and you want a prospect with confidence. But I can see how that's off-putting. I'd have preferred Boqvist but I don't hold that against Zadina at all. You can hold that against Wright, Holland, Draper, and the rest of our scouts, but it says nothing about Zadina.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When did Zadina comment on not having good passers in Grand Rapids?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
When did Zadina comment on not having good passers in Grand Rapids?

He didn’t say it explicitly, but I believe in development camp he suggested that at the NHL level players are of a higher skill and would be able to pass him the puck better. I think Helene wrote a piece or had a video of the interview if you take the time to look for it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well that interview wasn’t the best look for him. Kinda weird him saying he thinks Veleno should be with the big club too.

Yeah, no lack of confidence with this kid. Even if many young players think this kind of thing, they don't often outright say it. In a way, I admire his swagger, but he's got to deliver now otherwise he looks like an entitled punk.

How I imagine Yzerman feels after dealing with the Drouin:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, no lack of confidence with this kid. Even if many young players think this kind of thing, they don't often outright say it. In a way, I admire his swagger, but he's got to deliver now otherwise he looks like an entitled punk.

How I imagine Yzerman feels after dealing with the Drouin:

tenor.gif

We could also just take everything he says with a grain of salt. It’s pretty obvious since the interviews leading up to the draft that his native language isn’t English. If anyone could understand how things get lost in translation, I figured lilidk would be able to pick up on that.

I don’t think he’s saying GR players are bad at hockey and can’t pass the puck. I think he’s commenting on the overall skill level of the league and how playing with the most possible skill lends itself best to his game. He feeds off of it.

As for the Veleno bit, I think he’s just hyping up someone he’s probably become closer to. He enjoyed playing with Veleno and felt they were a strong match last year and Veleno obviously improved this year, so he’s saying, “shit, if I feel that my game is taken up a notch when playing in the NHL, Veleno’s probably would be too.”

This is blown out of proportion. He even said, “I don’t want to talk about it. I want to show that I’m ready.” Nothing wrong with someone who is confident and wants a chance to prove it.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is blown out of proportion. He even said, “I don’t want to talk about it. I want to show that I’m ready.” Nothing wrong with someone who is confident and wants a chance to prove it.

Hey, you're talking to a lifetime member of the Brett Hull fan club. I'm all about that swagger, man. But he needs to prove it now, that's all. He said, "It will be better for us (him and Veleno) to play in Detroit than Grand Rapids." Hey, that's cool, but it won't be gifted. If he performs to the level he says he is, he's going to look confident and cool. If he doesn't look ready and continues to say how he belongs in Detroit, he's going to look entitled.

I'm rooting for him to make the jump. But I just know that kind of moxie is a double-edged sword.

As for the "passing" stuff, yeah that's all overblown. I'm talking specifically about his comments about belonging on Detroit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hardly found any of that controversial. Any first round pick we have ever had pretty much says they want to play in Detroit from their first summer with the organization on.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Christien

May 1, 2010
You have to remember that English isn't his first language so while a lot of the stuff he says might not be worded how he actually means to say it. I don't think we have anything to worry about here. I remember Mantha saying how it was easier for him to adapt going to the NHL from the AHL than it was for him to go from the QMJHL to the AHL.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Veleno. I can see him having a career like Larkin is having.

I think Zadina will be another Nyquist/Mantha. Solid top 6 winger, but unspectacular.

The prospect tournament made me dig deeper on this. We'll be fortunate if he even gets to Nyquist/Mantha/Tatar levels.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The prospect tournament made me dig deeper on this. We'll be fortunate if he even gets to Nyquist/Mantha/Tatar levels.
This tournament reinforced my rankings of
1. Seider
2. Veleno
3. Zadina
And us being lucky if he ever reaches Tatar levels

....but in reality, this tournament doesn't mean a thing. People get way too focused on tiny things that just happened when in reality it would be ridiculous to talk about a single offseason scrimmage as a player is being inducted into the hall of fame.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I thought Zadina looked great. He's clearly putting himself under a lot of pressure and needs to relax a bit but once he gets the monkey off his back I think he's going to start rolling.

Reactions: lilidk

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
19 year old officially busted.

A ceiling of top 6 scoring winger is hardly a bust.
Maybe to the folks who think he's going to be potting 40 goals a year...
To those folks, temper your expectations. That ain't realistic.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A ceiling of top 6 scoring winger is hardly a bust.
Maybe to the folks who think he's going to be potting 40 goals a year...
To those folks, temper your expectations. That ain't realistic.
If he winds up being a 2nd liner, he's not a complete bust but a disappointment. Need to get top line players with top 10 picks.... though looking at past #6 picks, they don't seem to fair well for some reason.

Reactions: lilidk

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
If he winds up being a 2nd liner, he's not a complete bust but a disappointment. Need to get top line players with top 10 picks.... though looking at past #6 picks, they don't seem to fair well for some reason.

I'm curious what percentage of top 10 picks become top line players. I bet it's not as good as we'd expect.

I'm too lazy to look it up. Someone else do it please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad